NYC to Delaware

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC to Delaware

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:30 pm

IMO, the appeal of working for a Delaware firm paying $160k and living in the Philly-ish area is very attractive for obvious reasons. I am an incoming nyc v10 SA w/ ties to the mid-atlantic region. Currently, I plan to do NYC biglaw for 2-3 years then hopefully lateral to a Delaware firm. I've thought about the idea of targeting Del. post-SA as a first year, but I think the v10 resume line can have added benefits down the road, please correct me if I'm wrong. Assuming the associate is doing corporate/transactional work - I am wondering if lateraling to a Del. firm from nyc is easier than lateraling generally? How about if the associate was doing corporate oriented litigation, say securities litigation? I'm torn between litigation and transaction, I want to litigate, but also don't want to find myself stuck in a few years. Finally, would partnership prospects be more or less transparent at a Del. firm if lateraled in from nyc after a few years? (Please save me the ridicule about considering partnership at this pre-pubescent stage in my career, I just think its a worthy consideration in planning for years down the road). I understand there are threads about Del., but I haven't been able to find any that discuss this issue specifically. I appreciate any and all feedback.

EzraFitz

Silver

Re: NYC to Delaware

Postby EzraFitz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:59 am

In general, if you're wanting to work for a Delaware firm itself, lateraling might be tough for a few reasons. The Delaware bar is not as simple as many other states in terms of being accepted. Also, as I'm sure you've read, there are plenty of differences between practicing in Delaware and other states. I don't know a ton about lateraling in as opposed to lateraling out, but to some degree I can imagine firms being even less excited to teach a midlevel the intricacies of Delaware law than an NYC firm would be to unteach them. If you are open to going in house, you probably will have a lot more option coming in. As to partnership prospects, it's going to be similar to any other secondary/large tertiary market. Better than NYC, but still never amazing.

Nagster5

Silver

Postby Nagster5 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:27 am

A little off topic: Is DE biglaw much harder than other markets to break into straight out of school as a litigator? I really want to end up there (have very strong ties to DE) but I'm pretty set on litigation for various reasons.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:29 am

Nagster5 wrote:A little off topic: Is DE biglaw much harder than other markets to break into straight out of school as a litigator? I really want to end up there (have very strong ties to DE) but I'm pretty set on litigation for various reasons.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170603

Nagster5

Silver

Postby Nagster5 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:41 am

lymenheimer wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:A little off topic: Is DE biglaw much harder than other markets to break into straight out of school as a litigator? I really want to end up there (have very strong ties to DE) but I'm pretty set on litigation for various reasons.

If you are a 0L, then use caution before posting, if you argue or post blatantly inaccurate information you may be banned for trolling.

I didn't do either, thanks for the help though.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:43 am

Nagster5 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

If you are a 0L, then use caution before posting, if you argue or post blatantly inaccurate information you may be banned for trolling.

I didn't do either, thanks for the help though.

It's called "Ask a Law Student / Graduate", and it's a place for 0Ls to ask current law students questions without disturbing the "Students and Graduates" forums. Post all your questions there, including about things like classes, grades, transferring, employment, etc.

Nagster5

Silver

Postby Nagster5 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:45 am

I'm aware of the existence of that forum. Your unhappiness with my posting here is noted, have a nice day.

AT9

Gold

Postby AT9 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:15 pm

Read through this thread if you haven't already:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=249542

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:17 pm

Nagster5 wrote:I'm aware of the existence of that forum. Your unhappiness with my posting here is noted, have a nice day.

Dude. You're not allowed to post questions in this forum. Do it again and you'll get banned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:58 pm

To the OP, maybe go through the websites of the Big 4 and look at partner bios to see how common it is to lateral? My impression (having only done a SA there) was that most partners were home grown.

Return to “Legal Employment�