LA Biglaw Culture

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tmanthedman

New

LA Biglaw Culture

Postby tmanthedman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:00 pm

I'll be a 2L SA downtown. Is the culture really that much better than NY in terms of office hours, dress code, etc.? My interviews seemed to indicate that, just not sure how truthful they were (especially since I did far fewer NY interviews).

What should I generally expect for me summer (or is this super firm-specific) in terms of work load, number of events/week, how many of said events we should be attending, etc? Do SA's have offices, cubicles, or will be doing something more "interny" like sharing conference rooms?

I'm just procrastinating writing papers, so anywhere this discussion goes is cool with me.

Anonymous User

Re: LA Biglaw Culture

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Generally, it is a bit more laid back than NYC. A lot of this however depends on if your office is a true satellite taking work from NY, or if your office is self-supporting. If you are taking cases and deals from NY, it's hard to escape some of the NY environment/workload. However, if you're in a bigger LA office that generates most of its own work, the culture can be far more laid back. For instance, at my firm, 90% of the work we have comes from LA partners, and they are more laid back than the NY partners (that being said, they're still Biglaw partners--it's all relative). Of course, this is pretty firm-specific.

Work load and number/type of events will vary greatly firm to firm and by practice group. My firm tends to go all-out with several big events over the course of the summer, and in an average week there were usually 1-2 official events along with 2-3 impromptu happy hours (which the firm pays for as long as there are SAs there). As a SA I would say I was drinking 3-4 nights a week any given week, which made for necessary breakfast burritos most mornings. You should be going to EVERY SINGLE official firm event over the course of the summer, barring an emergency or very legitimate excuse. Impromptu happy hours are more flexible, but I would suggest going to most. It's a great way to get to know associates, get a more informal view of the firm, and you don't want to be a stick in the mud.

In terms of office space, chances are >99% you'll have your own office, unless you're at Paul Hastings which makes some associates share. Office sharing isn't really a thing in LA, or on the West Coast in general.

SoCalTacos

New

Postby SoCalTacos » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Generally, it is a bit more laid back than NYC. A lot of this however depends on if your office is a true satellite taking work from NY, or if your office is self-supporting. If you are taking cases and deals from NY, it's hard to escape some of the NY environment/workload. However, if you're in a bigger LA office that generates most of its own work, the culture can be far more laid back. For instance, at my firm, 90% of the work we have comes from LA partners, and they are more laid back than the NY partners (that being said, they're still Biglaw partners--it's all relative). Of course, this is pretty firm-specific.

Work load and number/type of events will vary greatly firm to firm and by practice group. My firm tends to go all-out with several big events over the course of the summer, and in an average week there were usually 1-2 official events along with 2-3 impromptu happy hours (which the firm pays for as long as there are SAs there). As a SA I would say I was drinking 3-4 nights a week any given week, which made for necessary breakfast burritos most mornings. You should be going to EVERY SINGLE official firm event over the course of the summer, barring an emergency or very legitimate excuse. Impromptu happy hours are more flexible, but I would suggest going to most. It's a great way to get to know associates, get a more informal view of the firm, and you don't want to be a stick in the mud.

In terms of office space, chances are >99% you'll have your own office, unless you're at Paul Hastings which makes some associates share. Office sharing isn't really a thing in LA, or on the West Coast in general.

This sounds awesome, I hope most LA firms are like yours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Does anyone have any info on small LA satellite offices in particular? For example, do a lot of firms offer fringe benefits like car services?

I assume places like GDC, Latham, Milbank, Sidley, OMM, etc. (with bigger SA classes) have a wider breadth of events and "benefits" like cafeterias?

I know my firm doesn't have any of the above...except my own office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info on small LA satellite offices in particular? For example, do a lot of firms offer fringe benefits like car services?

I assume places like GDC, Latham, Milbank, Sidley, OMM, etc. (with bigger SA classes) have a wider breadth of events and "benefits" like cafeterias?

Skadden LA has a cafeteria and gym with gym clothes for you. That's honestly what scared me the most when I was called back there lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info on small LA satellite offices in particular? For example, do a lot of firms offer fringe benefits like car services?

Skadden LA has a cafeteria and gym with gym clothes for you. That's honestly what scared me the most when I was called back there lol.

I'll be at Morgan Lewis, which is in the same building as Skadden. Any info on whether they have the same gym/cafeteria access?

Anyone have any other info on the firm generally (LA office specifically)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Plus, you Skadden folks don't have to pay rent! Living in the office perks :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:53 pm

As a summer in the Skadden NY office, I will say that the gym + clothes was a RIDICULOUS perk. And the cafeteria there was pretty bomb too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll be at Morgan Lewis, which is in the same building as Skadden. Any info on whether they have the same gym/cafeteria access?

Anyone have any other info on the firm generally (LA office specifically)?

unlikely

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a summer in the Skadden NY office, I will say that the gym + clothes was a RIDICULOUS perk. And the cafeteria there was pretty bomb too.

that's the price they're paying for your soul

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:40 pm

I used to work at Proskauer LA. Anything you want to know about it?

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:59 pm

I work at a small office of a Vault firm downtown. Feel free to PM me with questions. I generally like it, for what that's worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:21 pm

Anyone have some insight on S&C's LA office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Milbank's summer program is awesome, so yes there are lots of events and most are pretty fun. In the building they're in right now there wasn't a gym or cafeteria. They had a deal with Equinox but that's about it. However, they're moving to Century City in the Century Plaza towers so I'm not sure if things will change.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Milbank's summer program is awesome, so yes there are lots of events and most are pretty fun. In the building they're in right now there wasn't a gym or cafeteria. They had a deal with Equinox but that's about it. However, they're moving to Century City in the Century Plaza towers so I'm not sure if things will change.

What's Milbank's policy about car service (if any)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Officially, car service for associates after 8:30pm. Unofficially, everyone drives in LA so you'll likely drive home. If you don't want to drive (after 8:30pm), or have been drinking (no time constraints), the firm reimburses for Uber home and back to work the next day. Uber is way more convenient than the official car service.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Officially, car service for associates after 8:30pm. Unofficially, everyone drives in LA so you'll likely drive home. If you don't want to drive (after 8:30pm), or have been drinking (no time constraints), the firm reimburses for Uber home and back to work the next day. Uber is way more convenient than the official car service.

Oh it's contingent upon staying past 8. Lame... I was getting excited b/c I live in DT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Officially, car service for associates after 8:30pm. Unofficially, everyone drives in LA so you'll likely drive home. If you don't want to drive (after 8:30pm), or have been drinking (no time constraints), the firm reimburses for Uber home and back to work the next day. Uber is way more convenient than the official car service.

Oh it's contingent upon staying past 8. Lame... I was getting excited b/c I live in DT.

Pretty sure most firms have a time and/or billables requirement to get car service, even in NYC. What were you expecting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Is this also true for SAs? So if we go to a firm event after work and drink, we get a free uber home and back to work the next morning?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is this also true for SAs? So if we go to a firm event after work and drink, we get a free uber home and back to work the next morning?

Can't comment for all SAs, but at least at my firm (in Century City) they would reimburse for uber's to home and back to work the next morning after firm events where we drank.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, SAs get free ubers to and from work whenever they've been drinking (including unofficial happy hours). That being said, this is Milbank-specific, so I can't comment if other firms do the same.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I used to work at Proskauer LA. Anything you want to know about it?

Whats the culture like at Proskauer LA?

I've heard both good and bad things about the office. Did you like your time there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I used to work at Proskauer LA. Anything you want to know about it?

I've heard both good and bad things about the office. Did you like your time there?

I did not like my time there. I would be happy to share more by PM....can you respond non-anonymously by chance so I can PM you?

t-14orbust

Gold

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I did not like my time there. I would be happy to share more by PM....can you respond non-anonymously by chance so I can PM you?

not that person but I am interested

switchis32

Bronze

Postby switchis32 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I would also like some info.

Return to “Legal Employment�