Delayed by CA C&F - NYC Biglaw...what do I do? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Delayed by CA C&F - NYC Biglaw...what do I do?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:11 pm

homestyle28 wrote:I think you have to disclose asap. In our profession, there's a better than 50% chance you'll be disclosing to someone who has had (or has) a similar issue with substance abuse. They'll probably understand that. They won't forgive lying or hiding it. You've been there long enough to have done some work that hopefully speaks well enough of your abilities so that they'll want to keep you. But even if you eventually pass C&F, if your firm finds out you hid this or lied about it, you're toast.
Would never lie but would like to know whether there's a problem first.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Last edited by El Pollito on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:51 pm

deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:59 pm

deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
El Pollito wrote:Good luck. I think you made the right call and will be fine.
OP again. Thanks, but I am a complete nervous wreck. It seems like a potential 18 month delay (2 years from my start date) is just too long to be kept around. I hope I am wrong...
Was it bad to have not let them know before you started (that you've got this thing that may be an issue), or were you okay there?

My guess is it's going to come down to whether people want to work with you or not. If you're hitting hours and they like you, you're as likely to be around then as anyone else.

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Good luck, OP. It sounds like you handled the situation gracefully, and it's totally out of your hands now, so try not to worry. Please keep us posted about how things go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:34 pm

deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP again. Thanks, but I am a complete nervous wreck. It seems like a potential 18 month delay (2 years from my start date) is just too long to be kept around. I hope I am wrong...
Was it bad to have not let them know before you started (that you've got this thing that may be an issue), or were you okay there?

My guess is it's going to come down to whether people want to work with you or not. If you're hitting hours and they like you, you're as likely to be around then as anyone else.
OP here. I truthfully did not think this was going to be an issue. I maybe should have told them about it, but because there was no charge brought and my other offenses were 7-9 years old and very minor in severity, I thought I'd be ok.

They were appreciative that I came to them and told them. I told them one day after receiving the news so it was not like I hid that there was an issue.

I am a bit worried also because my group is very slow. I have tried to get work but all of the first years in my group seem to be pretty slow...
If the client's paying the same rate I doubt it matters that much because you're being supervised as a junior anyway. If I was you go to every event, put them 1, 2 and 3 in your life and make them want to invest in you. You're really in the only job it's not an auto-fire ordeal. How much did you pay your attorney if you don't mind my asking?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:53 pm

deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I truthfully did not think this was going to be an issue. I maybe should have told them about it, but because there was no charge brought and my other offenses were 7-9 years old and very minor in severity, I thought I'd be ok.

They were appreciative that I came to them and told them. I told them one day after receiving the news so it was not like I hid that there was an issue.

I am a bit worried also because my group is very slow. I have tried to get work but all of the first years in my group seem to be pretty slow...
If the client's paying the same rate I doubt it matters that much because you're being supervised as a junior anyway. If I was you go to every event, put them 1, 2 and 3 in your life and make them want to invest in you. You're really in the only job it's not an auto-fire ordeal. How much did you pay your attorney if you don't mind my asking?
It cost about 5k.
is ~$500/hour reasonable from your experience if it's a decent lawyer?

With the drug c&f stuff the point is credible. A lot of time there's joint criminal prosecution, and the burdens of proof are different. There were legitimately things I''ve perjured myself on in my disclosures to say I did that I didn't do. It's just much easier, and seems more honest than telling the truth. A lot of my college rap sheet wasbased on hunches. In one instance, a police report was disregarded because the secretary filling in to do the hearing had saw a similar thing on csi (there wasn't a student handbook or any rights for the dorm stuff; you'd normally get a building manager, but sometimes had a super or a janitor who spoke no english as the judge and prosecution). I had others where documents were submitted, but the judge didn't speak english so only had his gut. You basically have to lie to c&f and say, yes, they were all right - i did them all. But technically you can't be fired, etc. for being found not guilty of a crime. For c&f, I did do some of the offenses I have on my rap sheet and dozens of much worse ones that aren't on there so I figure if I accept responsibility of everything, it's much easier to get admitted and not really perjury because the offenses are true, just the specific years and facts are off.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:28 pm

deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:34 pm

what big law firm does this stuff? you also may want to delete your text in this thread. if you do ill follow suit where i quoted you. not likely they'll spot it, but with the dates and specifics, it's very statistically unlikely there's another person anywhere in the world who would have started this thread today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:42 pm

OP Here, can everyone quoted please delete my text? While I don't think I have said anything that would reflect poorly on me or my situation here, I do think privacy is best.

Mods - could you delete this thread?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:18 pm

BUMP--because I will shortly be in this situation. Does anyone have actually knowledge of how long firms generally wait until your CF issues get resolved? Or is anyone willing to share how long it took them?

I was under the impression that if you pass the bar, you had to get admitted ASAP! That even a couple of months would be too late.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BUMP--because I will shortly be in this situation. Does anyone have actually knowledge of how long firms generally wait until your CF issues get resolved? Or is anyone willing to share how long it took them?
Seriously? You bumped a year-old thread where the OP went out of his way to delete his posts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”