Lateraling is hard. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling is hard.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:18 pm

I've been trying to lateral out of my firm (V15, lit, currently a 3rd yr) for the past 6 months and I've have no success. I've either been rejected before any interview or been given the silent treatment for over 2 months (assuming this means no) from all 20 of the 20 law firms I've applied to. I was above median at a T14, law journal, moot court. I had good work at my firm but a few recent staffing changes (partner and senior associate level) has made my time at this firm almost intolerable.

I've mostly applied to big law firms (a couple in the V10; the rest are V50). I used a few recruiters. I think most of the firms I submitted to were actively looking, but a few may not have been looking.

I'm feeling down about this whole process and would love to hear all your experiences with lateraling.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: Lateraling is hard.

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:23 pm

IP lit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:32 pm

IP lit?
General commercial litigation, unfortunately.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:36 pm

is 20 law firms a reasonable number for a 6 month search? good luck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:58 pm

This seems unusual to me, but I am corporate so not sure what the current market is like for laterals. I would expand your search to lower ranked firms. Is lit slow right now for some reason? I thought it was pretty busy, generally speaking, but I could be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Are you applying in response to specific openings for junior associates in your subject area? My recruiter said that no firm is going to just create an opening for some random junior looking to make a move. There has to be a specific need first that you bite on.

I worked with a recruiter and the whole process took about 5 months. But it was all focused on specific openings that matched by qualifications.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:22 pm

lateralling in lit is hard*

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:00 pm

Don't go into lit, kids.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:12 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Don't go into lit, kids.
The only thing worse than big law lit is big law corporate:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=261392

OP: Be patient; persistence will pay off. Also, why are you only looking at "V50" firms? As you've probably figured out by now, some of the best lit groups are at firms with a low vault rank (or no vault rank).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IP lit?
General commercial litigation, unfortunately.
Yeah this is the real issue.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:07 am

If you are in general commercial lit and looking to lateral you should be applying to much more than 20 firms. Are you working with a headhunter or doing this yourself?

Edit: I've had friends who had lots of trouble handling everything alone but were successful with headhunters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:14 am

I am the the anon who lateraled after 1.5 years. I was also in general commercial lit, though I was looking to switch to a different practice area that is litigation-based but more specialized. I really disliked gen. commercial lit for a number of reasons, but it just seemed like the exit opportunities were not good. Doesn't sound like you are looking to switch groups like I was, but the point is the same that its hard to make moves coming from that area.

Though if you aren't looking to switch practice groups, there is a silver lining to your search. You are gaining more and more experience as you go along and become a better candidate once an opening becomes available. By comparison, if you are looking to switch groups, the longer you wait, the wider the substantive gap becomes and the further down the "wrong" path you are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15 pm

rpupkin wrote:

OP: Be patient; persistence will pay off. Also, why are you only looking at "V50" firms? As you've probably figured out by now, some of the best lit groups are at firms with a low vault rank (or no vault rank).
Yeah, this can be true. I am at a V100 firm and the group I am in is super stellar. I came from a V25, and the attorneys at my current firm (esp. partners) are better attorneys, more involved in cases, and are more client-minded.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:21 pm

rpupkin wrote:

OP here - can you give some examples of non-vault ranked firms that you think are good for comm lit? I am definitely going to kick things into high gear and increase the # of firms I'm applying to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

OP here - can you give some examples of non-vault ranked firms that you think are good for comm lit? I am definitely going to kick things into high gear and increase the # of firms I'm applying to.
I would like to know this as well. From what I understand, litigation boutiques are difficult to get into, especially if you're not coming from a federal clerkship.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:57 pm

You're doing it wrong. Stop wasting your time with recruiters.

Work your connections. If you went to a T14, you MUST know dozens of people in biglaw and probably a good smattering of people at boutiques and in the government. Talk to everyone you know about their firms- see who likes their gig, who is in a growing practice, and go from there. When you have exhausted your friends, talk to their friends.

Don't limit yourself to firms that have posted openings. The best lateral jobs are never listed.

qwerfdsa

New

Post by qwerfdsa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Did you do a clerkship?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”