what kind of $$ can be made in family law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

what kind of $$ can be made in family law?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:46 pm

it's really tough to find any info on the kinds of salaries matrimonial attorneys can bring in. does anyone have any insight? Varies? particularly early on in ones career.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: what kind of $$ can be made in family law?

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:49 pm

Well you're probably not going to get a lot of repeat business from clients so I'm guessing it all depends on your advertisement and reputation-building abilities.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:55 pm

family law firms are all pretty small shops usually. the best boutique in chicago starts associates around 85k with big bonus potential. partners can make 300-500k a year. the shittier shitlaw places start people at 45k and give like 10-20% raises a year. partners there can range from 100k to 300k depending on how much they work, how good business is, and how business savvy they are with collections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:31 pm

I worked at one that started associates at 40k plus 10% of generated revenue. Midwestern city of approximately 1 milly ppl

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:18 pm

It's possible to make a shit ton of money if you get in with wealthy clients.....I think the work seems more interesting than a lot of law too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Well you're probably not going to get a lot of repeat business from clients so I'm guessing it all depends on your advertisement and reputation-building abilities.
If they have kids, they are clients for life.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:22 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Well you're probably not going to get a lot of repeat business from clients so I'm guessing it all depends on your advertisement and reputation-building abilities.
So dark, so true

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:24 pm

krads153 wrote:It's possible to make a shit ton of money if you get in with wealthy clients.....I think the work seems more interesting than a lot of law too.
You'd need to find a cadre of folks who tend to have money and marital problems.

Get your cards printed now and make as many friends in law school as possible. You'll have clients by the bushel once they're, say, 3-4 years out of law school and after.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:25 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
So dark, so true
ha!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”