Major Legal Market with Best Work/Life Balance (Biglaw) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ticklemesilly

Bronze

Re: Major Legal Market with Best Work/Life Balance (Biglaw)

Post by ticklemesilly » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:If biglaw work/life balance isn't an oxymoron....

what would you say?

I'm thinking SF>all others>NY
Probably more accurate to say -- all others > SF > NY

Assuming we are talking hours worked. Attitude / chillness of colleagues different calculus.
So in your opinion, where are the chillest people overall?

Also, DC lawyers work less hours than SF lawyers?

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:00 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:If biglaw work/life balance isn't an oxymoron....

what would you say?

I'm thinking SF>all others>NY
Probably more accurate to say -- all others > SF > NY

Assuming we are talking hours worked. Attitude / chillness of colleagues different calculus.
So in your opinion, where are the chillest people overall?

Also, DC lawyers work less hours than SF lawyers?
Ones who do gov-related work do for sure.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Everybody either works hard or gets pushed out--doesn't matter where you live. You are always on call, so good luck planning outings, etc.
Are u trying to imply associates at amlaw 50 firm in NY are billing similar hours to amlaw200 associate in Denver or Columbus?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:31 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Everybody either works hard or gets pushed out--doesn't matter where you live. You are always on call, so good luck planning outings, etc.
Are u trying to imply associates at amlaw 50 firm in NY are billing similar hours to amlaw200 associate in Denver or Columbus?
You can't generalize like that. There are tiny firms in places like upstate NY where people work around the clock and big firm offices in NYC where people can chill without getting fired. My point is that you are either progressing toward having your own clients and running your own shit or you are progressing toward unemployment or being parked in some relatively low-paying career associate type job. The former requires you to bill a lot, become an expert, network, etc. (things that take a ton of time). The latter requires fewer hours. In other words, my argument is that lifestyle depends more on your goals and your firm's culture than location. Quinn associates in chill locations like Redwood Shores work a shitload of hours whereas Gibson associates right down the street are not getting fired for billing sub-1800 billable hours.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:17 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
You can't generalize like that. There are tiny firms in places like upstate NY where people work around the clock and big firm offices in NYC where people can chill without getting fired. My point is that you are either progressing toward having your own clients and running your own shit or you are progressing toward unemployment or being parked in some relatively low-paying career associate type job. The former requires you to bill a lot, become an expert, network, etc. (things that take a ton of time). The latter requires fewer hours. In other words, my argument is that lifestyle depends more on your goals and your firm's culture than location. Quinn associates in chill locations like Redwood Shores work a shitload of hours whereas Gibson associates right down the street are not getting fired for billing sub-1800 billable hours.
I've been a corporate paralegal in NY, London and Silicon Valley. And my brother has worked in biglaw in Charlotte for many years and is now a Counsel. I would say your practice group and the individual partners you work for (and clients) will determine your lifestyle much more so than geography.

For instance, having a PE firm (and former bankers) as your clients is going to be different than having a chill startup founder as your client. That sort of thing. Having worked all three places, _generally_ I would say that all biglaw is intense, but that some parts of the country believe more in facetime than others (NY being primary territory for facetime since you're expected to live close(ish) to the office). Silicon Valley also has slightly later hours in that lots of people commute either v. early or v. late (after prime traffic hours). Hope that helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whysoseriousbiglaw

Bronze

Post by whysoseriousbiglaw » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:27 pm

This.

At least outside of NYC/SF/DC/maybe LA, the money goes a lot farther. BUT I will say this, the money isn't that great considering you are on call 24/7.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”