cried at my desk for first time Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: cried at my desk for first time

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Styl
zot1 wrote:I think you can tell based on what the partner is changing. Is he making stylistic or substantive changes? That should help you figure it out.
Stylistic. My first legal position and I've been there 2.5 months.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:39 pm

When you looked at the edits, did you think oh yeah that sounds better and presents my argument better or that was an unnecessary change?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Styl
zot1 wrote:I think you can tell based on what the partner is changing. Is he making stylistic or substantive changes? That should help you figure it out.
Stylistic. My first legal position and I've been there 2.5 months.
Stylistic edits are expected at this stage. You should still pay attention to what he is changing. You can be substantively correct in your legal analysis, but still have problems down the line if you can't present it clearly and/or persuasively.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:12 pm

clshopeful wrote:back, after a temp ban.

The misery of biglaw and corporate life in general makes me think how unnatural it is for a human to sit in an office and read paperwork to be filed into a large man-made system [courts/contracts/etc]. How meaningless so much of what we do is.

It seems so against humanity -- humans are supposed to explore, be active; not worry about commas and whether a contact has an integration clause.

Makes me sometimes think that maybe WE are the North Korea of the world, and our country just tells us we're the best, when in actuality, there is an entire other world out there we have never seen [like north koreans being brainwashed/not even knowing internet exists]. Ins't it plausible? The US buys all the airliners -- you take a trip to france, it's just a spot the US bought and changed the scenery to sell you on this huge brainwash. In actuality, if the planes deviated from their paths, you would land in a place no one has ever been, since the US gov't never allowed pilots to fly there.

Conspiracy theorist unite/late night rant

Yeah but what about private jets or cruises? Like on a cruise you definitely know where you're at.

TheHill5

New

Post by TheHill5 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:39 pm

As someone who has been out for almost 2 years, I can tell you that the allure of BIGLAW, SA, and 3L year knowing you have the 'golden ticket" is was always the peak of my "law career" experience. Once you actually show up on Day 1 you realize that you are 1. fucked 2. going to end up a tired, fat, and emotionally drained and 3. are not valued by the firm, at all.

Law, to me, is truly a poor choice for around 80% of the people who ultimately end up practicing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:51 pm

And yet people keep chasing that BigLaw spot.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:12 am

Every single one of us has had these moments. It'll pass. Just keep plugging away and tell the people you love that you love them.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:23 am

xael wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:feel like a baby too because my siutation is relatively not that bad compared to other biglaw stories. had to work about 16 hours this weekend and was only up til 12 or 1 sat and sun night. no one yelling at me, no one saying i messed anything up. just kind of had a breakdown in the comfort of my office. "just don't see how it's gonna get better" was running through my head over and over. nothing really to add but feels good to vent and hope anyone reading this going through something similar knows they are not alone
I'm sure that $3100 paycheck that gets deposited every friday into your bank clears those tears right up
Let me guess: you're a law student.
correct
Unless op is a church, $3,100 is not deposited into his/her bank account every week. It's closer to $2,200 per week. But she doesn't get paid weekly, because no serious law firm pays ADP to cut checks to lawyers on a weekly basis. And until you know what it feels like to be a lawyer and realize that the money you are paid doesn't impact the stress of the work in a meaningful way, you really should just avoid commenting.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:44 am

reasonable_man wrote:
xael wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:feel like a baby too because my siutation is relatively not that bad compared to other biglaw stories. had to work about 16 hours this weekend and was only up til 12 or 1 sat and sun night. no one yelling at me, no one saying i messed anything up. just kind of had a breakdown in the comfort of my office. "just don't see how it's gonna get better" was running through my head over and over. nothing really to add but feels good to vent and hope anyone reading this going through something similar knows they are not alone
I'm sure that $3100 paycheck that gets deposited every friday into your bank clears those tears right up
Let me guess: you're a law student.
correct
Unless op is a church, $3,100 is not deposited into his/her bank account every week. It's closer to $2,200 per week. But she doesn't get paid weekly, because no serious law firm pays ADP to cut checks to lawyers on a weekly basis. And until you know what it feels like to be a lawyer and realize that the money you are paid doesn't impact the stress of the work in a meaningful way, you really should just avoid commenting.
CHILL dude I was clearly joking around, you went and got super serious

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:32 am

clshopeful wrote:
I guess I just didn't see the humor in responding to someone reduced to tears by lack of sleep and stress by minimizing it because they get paid. You're right. That was a great joke.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:46 am

CLS hopeful will inevitably be sitting in his own office a few years from now at 1am trying to figure out how he can possible write an entire motion to dismiss by morning while his/her SO sends him text messages wondering when he/she is going to see CLShopeful again and CLShopeful will be thinking back to this post and going, "yeah, I was a douche."

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:56 am

lawschoolftw wrote:CLS hopeful will inevitably be sitting in his own office a few years from now at 1am trying to figure out how he can possible write an entire motion to dismiss by morning while his/her SO sends him text messages wondering when he/she is going to see CLShopeful again and CLShopeful will be thinking back to this post and going, "yeah, I was a douche."
You forgot the part where it was CLS's kid's birthday party and he never showed up for it.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:17 pm

zot1 wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:CLS hopeful will inevitably be sitting in his own office a few years from now at 1am trying to figure out how he can possible write an entire motion to dismiss by morning while his/her SO sends him text messages wondering when he/she is going to see CLShopeful again and CLShopeful will be thinking back to this post and going, "yeah, I was a douche."
You forgot the part where it was CLS's kid's birthday party and he never showed up for it.
Or the time that CLS' SO is already angry because CLS worked late the last two nights and CLS promised a nice night out, until partner X walks into CLS' office st 6pm while CLS was trying to "leave early" and hands CLS opp papers that need a reply by the morning on a case CLS has never even touched. As CLS makes the call to CLS's SO and the SO says f@&$ off; CLS will remember this thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:56 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Or the time that CLS' SO is already angry because CLS worked late the last two nights and CLS promised a nice night out, until partner X walks into CLS' office st 6pm while CLS was trying to "leave early" and hands CLS opp papers that need a reply by the morning on a case CLS has never even touched. As CLS makes the call to CLS's SO and the SO says f@&$ off; CLS will remember this thread.
You forgot the part where the partner actually knew the brief had to be written for two weeks before dropping it on CLS on a Friday.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
zot1 wrote:
You forgot the part where the partner actually knew the brief had to be written for two weeks before dropping it on CLS on a Friday.

Yes. And the part about the important parts of the file that have been put into a folder and left in Partner's office 10 days ago (which partner has now forgotten about and not given to you).

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:21 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
zot1 wrote:

Yes. And the part about the important parts of the file that have been put into a folder and left in Partner's office 10 days ago (which partner has now forgotten about and not given to you).
Haha. I laughed out loud reading these.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:11 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
I guess I just didn't see the humor in responding to someone reduced to tears by lack of sleep and stress by minimizing it because they get paid. You're right. That was a great joke.
DAMNIT dude just CHILL. OUT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:20 pm

clshopeful wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
Nah, he was right.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
Nah, he was right.
Nope, he wasn't.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:26 pm

CLS, you're in the minority here.

Making fun of people who are not in a good state of mind is never ideal. Make jokes about other things.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:43 pm

zot1 wrote:CLS, you're in the minority here.

Making fun of people who are not in a good state of mind is never ideal. Make jokes about other things.
Shoutout to people who get offended at jokes that are SOMEWHAT crude, but are CLEARLY meant to just be a playful jab. You, people, are the MVPs. You are the people who interject and say stuff like "Wait, why does it matter that he is black? Why'd you even mention skin color? Why do you have to bring race into it???" when someone says something like "yeah my doctor is a black guy like mid 40s".

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:45 pm

Stop derailing this thread, clshopeful.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:59 pm

clshopeful wrote:
zot1 wrote:CLS, you're in the minority here.

Shoutout to people who get offended at jokes that are SOMEWHAT crude, but are CLEARLY meant to just be a playful jab. You, people, are the MVPs. You are the people who interject and say stuff like "Wait, why does it matter that he is black? Why'd you even mention skin color? Why do you have to bring race into it???" when someone says something like "yeah my doctor is a black guy like mid 40s".
Seriously CLS, please come back in three years and let us know if your thoughts have changed on this.

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:21 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:31 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:There are people out there who make $20 an hour with a JD and still get bitched at... for example, for not clocking out for a 30 minute lunch. It's really humiliating and damaging to one's self-esteem to be such a fucking failure at life. They probably would have killed themselves but for the fact that they had no debt.
They aren't a failure at life because of their job.
Posts like this always get me because my aunt committed suicide because of her mental state in large part from feeling like a failure in a job.

There is just so much more to life and who a person is than your job. People care more than someone may realize when they are depressed.

I wish law school required classes on protecting your mental health. So many law students and lawyers are clinically depressed. It's probably an epidemic within the population, along with alcoholism and obesity.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”