NY Firm from T50 school 2L summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stressed but blessed

New

NY Firm from T50 school 2L summer?

Post by Stressed but blessed » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Is it possible to get a 2L summer associate spot at a NY firm from a T50 school, or is NY pushing it...

Anonymous User

Re: NY Firm from T50 school 2L summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:34 pm

Stressed but blessed wrote:Is it possible to get a 2L summer associate spot at a NY firm from a T50 school, or is NY pushing it...
You should really browse thru existing posts before you ask such a broad question with limited details. The short answer is yes, it's possible.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Yes. It's possible but you need to have something that will get you interviews.(top grades, something awesome on your resume, and/or connections)

You also will likely need to mass mail during your 1L summer unless you have a bunch of NY firms coming to your OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:26 am

I was at a ~t50. If you are eligible for patent law then I think top 1/3 to have a chance.

If not, I would say top 20% to have a chance top 10% to be safe for biglaw or almost market paying mid law. If your a hot girl maybe top 25-30%. Outside of top 1/3 you almost have 0 chance unless u are extremely connected.

Nothing is a guarantee. Fwiw, there were a small but size able amount of people who wanted biglaw and graduated in the top 10% that didn't get big law jobs.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was at a ~t50. If you are eligible for patent law then I think top 1/3 to have a chance.

If not, I would say top 20% to have a chance top 10% to be safe for biglaw or almost market paying mid law. If your a hot girl maybe top 25-30%. Outside of top 1/3 you almost have 0 chance unless u are extremely connected.

Nothing is a guarantee. Fwiw, there were a small but size able amount of people who wanted biglaw and graduated in the top 10% that didn't get big law jobs.
Quality metrics Arthur Andersen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was at a ~t50. If you are eligible for patent law then I think top 1/3 to have a chance.

This all sounds about right, except patent law. I defer on the general percentage and hot chick percentage, but both sound reasonably correct, in my experience. I went to a school higher than the t50, but in IP. Ive had a lot of TTT colleagues from schools like Fordham, New york LS, etc comparable TTT and even worse. If you are patent law, honestly, good pre-LS credentials combined with at least average ish LS grades should land you a solid patent law gig. On the east coast, a PhD in bio would be better than a BSEE or similar, but there are still plenty of high tech jobs in North jersey/NY. Possibly a little hustle needed so get out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”