Would any of you consider a company in the Marijuana Industry? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Would any of you consider a company in the Marijuana Industry?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:08 am

Hey guys,

I know that the marijuana industry is a fast growing field. I just wanted to see how you guys felt about working in-house for a company that is in the marijuana industry. How big of a stigma do you think it will have on your resume for future employers (assuming the experience is equal)?

drs36

Bronze

Re: Would any of you consider a company in the Marijuana Industry?

Post by drs36 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:14 am

I would certainly consider this. I think the positives outweigh the negatives. You will be able to sell your experience working on somewhat novel legal issues in an emerging industry. Certainly, you'd lock yourself out of some future positions, but I doubt it would have a largely negative effect.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:49 am

I know a lot of legitimate law firms represent marijuana companies now. We don't, but I could see that changing over time. It's going to narrow your exit options of course, but I don't think it's a death sentence.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:10 pm

SBL wrote:I know a lot of legitimate law firms represent marijuana companies now. We don't, but I could see that changing over time. It's going to narrow your exit options of course, but I don't think it's a death sentence.
At least here in Denver, the bigger firms won't represent them still, at all. I remember at a bar association softball game, a couple partners were complaining that their firms wouldn't let them touch it. Most of the folks representing marijuana industry clients are criminal defense attorneys who naturally made the turn and got well-read on the regulations, etc. However, this makes them a huge pain in the ass to deal with on any other kind of civil litigation because they don't have the experience and keep making bad judgment calls.

To answer the question, I think you know the risks. Depending on your local ethics rules, you could be risking your license by representing marijuana industry clients (D. Colo. is the only one with this rule that I am aware of). There is always a risk future employers will continue to stigmatize the industry and it will shut down some job opportunities. No one can possibly quantify that risk for you.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:14 pm

LeDique wrote:
SBL wrote:I know a lot of legitimate law firms represent marijuana companies now. We don't, but I could see that changing over time. It's going to narrow your exit options of course, but I don't think it's a death sentence.
At least here in Denver, the bigger firms won't represent them still, at all. I remember at a bar association softball game, a couple partners were complaining that their firms wouldn't let them touch it. Most of the folks representing marijuana industry clients are criminal defense attorneys who naturally made the turn and got well-read on the regulations, etc. However, this makes them a huge pain in the ass to deal with on any other kind of civil litigation because they don't have the experience and keep making bad judgment calls.

To answer the question, I think you know the risks. Depending on your local ethics rules, you could be risking your license by representing marijuana industry clients (D. Colo. is the only one with this rule that I am aware of). There is always a risk future employers will continue to stigmatize the industry and it will shut down some job opportunities. No one can possibly quantify that risk for you.
I think they're basically coming in the back door. Right now most firms I've talked to about the issue here in CA (where it's still less legal than CO) won't represent the actual growers or dispensaries (though a few solos certainly will), but they will represent the vendors and supplies who sell things like grow lights and hydroponic fertilizers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:04 pm

I would imagine this could be an issue if you ever wanted to work for the federal government, for what that's worth.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

I know that the marijuana industry is a fast growing field. I just wanted to see how you guys felt about working in-house for a company that is in the marijuana industry. How big of a stigma do you think it will have on your resume for future employers (assuming the experience is equal)?
My biggest hang up would be that working for such a company could theoretically expose you to federal prosecution. Even if it's very unlikely that the federal government would choose to prosecute everyone working in the industry, the fact remains that they probably could under the law. You are probably much safer working for a law firm that advises them.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:50 pm

SBL wrote:
LeDique wrote:

I think they're basically coming in the back door. Right now most firms I've talked to about the issue here in CA (where it's still less legal than CO) won't represent the actual growers or dispensaries (though a few solos certainly will), but they will represent the vendors and supplies who sell things like grow lights and hydroponic fertilizers.
Oh that makes sense. I've not paid any attention to that side of the industry. I can't really think of having any dealings with them, so that's prolly true. I mean, again, D. Colo. adopted that insane view that if you negotiate a lease for the marijuana dispensary, you're in violation. That may have caused the bigger firms to step off there too, dunno.

And just one other thought – Aside from licensure/legal risk, I don't think it's really all too different than any job you take in law that presents a position. Like, yeah if you're a public defender, good luck becoming a prosecutor, etc. Again, I'm in CO, but I get WEEDLAW CLE invites all the time. People recognize it's an area of law where people need representation like any other, and that there's an opportunity for profit. You're not going to get a job with the attorney who tried to ban weed in her town by prohibiting possession in public (defined as 'roads and sidewalks') but she's insane anyway.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:10 pm

I'd love to, let me know

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Going to one of the big firms v30 I guess you would say, in a secondary Midwest market. We are growing our practice in the area. One of the guys in our office has done a lot of work in the area and I guess is contacted quite often about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Op speaking, I was more worried about the perception and for my next position if it would be a huge negative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:51 pm

When I was in school I proposed a note topic dealing with trademark regulation in the legal marijuana industry (was medical only at the time) and my advisor took it upon herself to get several other people to tell me it was career suicide ...

I think there's still plenty of people out there who would find it a dealbreaker for future employment. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they're out there.

I'd be less concerned about being at a firm or in a practice group that periodically handled stuff; it's probably different if you're in-house and the only employer on your resume is the Budtenders Union or 420 LLC

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Going to one of the big firms v30 I guess you would say, in a secondary Midwest market. We are growing our practice in the area. One of the guys in our office has done a lot of work in the area and I guess is contacted quite often about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:25 am

The partner I work with and I started to do some work for a medical grow/dispensary operation and management came all the way out to our secondary office and reprimanded the partner. the firm refunded all fees we were paid and terminated the relationship.

Apparently the issue was its illegal federal status and we were being paid via wire with the proceeds of a "federal crime" to further "criminal activity". My firm is notoriously conservative on these matters though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Used to work at a respected midlaw SF firm. We met with a MJ industry prospective client who was looking for help with transactional issues. Firm ultimately decided not to proceed with the representation b/c of continuing federal illegality.

IMO, this space is a real opportunity for hustling solo types to get established in the industry. Established firms just aren't going to touch this until federal law changes.

duck

Silver

Post by duck » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:30 pm

now you've got a friend in the marijuana business, the maryjane company

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”