need quick advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

need quick advice

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:53 am

I've posted on the site frequently but want to remain anon on this one. Recent UT grad; current fed clerk. I was a transfer student and did not do oci, so, no big law or anything coming out of school. Within the past six months I accepted a job to work at my uncle's firm in a somewhat small market. The firm is great: mostly federal clerks, do complex work for the area of the country, and starts associates at 75k with swift raises. Since accepting the offer, I haven't applied to other firms. However, I applied to a fair amount over the summer.

A few days ago, one of those firms called me wishing to schedule an interview. It is a lit boutique which I don't want to name. Pay is obviously more than double the firm at which I accepted. I think I'm going to do the interview at least. But I can't help feeling like a piece of shit. Should I tell my current firm? Or should I just wait and see if I even get an offer? Obviously, the familial nature of my current firm complicates things, but general advice is welcome.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: need quick advice

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 am

Wait and see. If you don't get the job (or get it but decide not to leave), none of this matters. If you do get the job (and decide to take it), telling your firm you're leaving is going to be awkward either way, so why make it awkward any earlier than you need to.

Unless maybe you know your uncle is the sort of person who would regard you not telling him as soon as possible as some kind of betrayal. Then maybe consider telling him. But I think that would be in your personal/nephew role, not as an employee. And I feel like you could try to tell your uncle in confidence without telling the firm, if that distinction makes any sense.

Other than for your personal relationship with your uncle, don't tell the firm.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:04 am

1. Do the interview. You don't even know if you want the job or will be hired. Don't tell the firm.

2. My two cents is that working at a firm where you have access to inside knowledge is more valuable than the money. It sounds like you have a great job lined up and a solid plan for your future that is more secure than some random other law firm. Don't value the job you have just by salary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:49 pm

Op here. Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and scheduled the interview. The firm offered to do it via Skype. It seems odd to me, however, to conduct what is described as a two hour interview in that manner. Might just see if I can miss a day of work to go there in person.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”