AMA: West Coast Litigation Associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AMA: West Coast Litigation Associate

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Background: Graduated from one of HYS, clerked for a district court judge, and am now at a big firm on the West Coast. I do a mix of litigation (not patent) and white-collar work. I generally enjoy my job. Ask me anything, but no guarantees I can answer without outing myself.

skaw123

New

Re: AMA: West Coast Litigation Associate

Post by skaw123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Assuming you're not going for partner, what are your thoughts/plans in terms of exit strategies? I've heard they're severely limited for litigation associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:47 pm

OP here: I plan to stay in private practice indefinitely. Whether that means staying here or going to another firm, I don't know. But I haven't actively thought about exit options very much.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:52 pm

How long have you been working as an associate at your firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:54 pm

rpupkin wrote:How long have you been working as an associate at your firm?
Between 1-3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:05 pm

How have you found white-collar work? Interested in it because I really like criminal law, but have heard its a lot of doc review and a lot less interesting than you'd think. And hours?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:24 pm

mt2165 wrote:How have you found white-collar work? Interested in it because I really like criminal law, but have heard its a lot of doc review and a lot less interesting than you'd think. And hours?
It's a lot different than litigation; it's much more fact-driven and involves very little law on a day-to-day basis. I do a lot of doc review, draft memos summarizing witness interviews or key documents, and spend some time interfacing with forensic consultants. It can be interesting, but there's much less writing than there is in litigation (especially persuasive writing, which I especially enjoy).

I billed around 2500 hours last year, including pro bono.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:05 pm

Do you ever see NYC associates come west? I'm going to the NYC office of a large firm that has a presence on both coasts, and I kinda wish I had bid west coast. Have some ties there, though not slam-dunk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Did you clerk on the West Coast as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you ever see NYC associates come west? I'm going to the NYC office of a large firm that has a presence on both coasts, and I kinda wish I had bid west coast. Have some ties there, though not slam-dunk.
Yes, it's not uncommon. It's more common with transactional folks, but a number of litigators also start out in NYC and then transition to the west coast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you clerk on the West Coast as well?
I clerked on a district court in the Ninth Circuit (and I'm being purposefully vague).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 pm

How'd you end up doing white collar? By chance, or did you make a push for this group specifically?

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mt2165 wrote:How have you found white-collar work? Interested in it because I really like criminal law, but have heard its a lot of doc review and a lot less interesting than you'd think. And hours?
It's a lot different than litigation; it's much more fact-driven and involves very little law on a day-to-day basis. I do a lot of doc review, draft memos summarizing witness interviews or key documents, and spend some time interfacing with forensic consultants. It can be interesting, but there's much less writing than there is in litigation (especially persuasive writing, which I especially enjoy).

Thanks, good stuff. Do you know of any white collar associates at your firm who exited into criminal law jobs in govt?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:51 pm

me above, accidental anon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I clerked on a district court in the Ninth Circuit (and I'm being purposefully vague).
Thanks. It seems like a lot of West Coast district court judges (especially in NDCA and CDCA) want people with experience. How did you address that when applying?

tbird

New

Post by tbird » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:35 am

Do you feel like clerking has made any big difference with the assignments you now receive or your credibility at the firm? I know it was probably a great experience and all, but does it really pay off once you are in practice in any measurable way? I mean outside of assisting with landing the right job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you ever see NYC associates come west? I'm going to the NYC office of a large firm that has a presence on both coasts, and I kinda wish I had bid west coast. Have some ties there, though not slam-dunk.
Yes, it's not uncommon. It's more common with transactional folks, but a number of litigators also start out in NYC and then transition to the west coast.
Thx. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How'd you end up doing white collar? By chance, or did you make a push for this group specifically?
Mostly by accident. I had a lull after a large matter ended, got staffed on an investigation that needed more people, and have been doing it ever since. There's a lot of demand for white collar associates at my firm, and I imagine it would be pretty easy to get staffed on investigations (especially large, cross-office ones) if that's something you wanted to do. But I'm not really privy to the details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, good stuff. Do you know of any white collar associates at your firm who exited into criminal law jobs in govt?
A good chunk of white collar associates exit into AUSA positions and similar roles. I should add, however, that there aren't that many "white collar associates" - while there are some people who primarily do white collar work, there are also a lot of litigation associates who also do some white collar work. I don't know how much exits for those two groups differ.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks. It seems like a lot of West Coast district court judges (especially in NDCA and CDCA) want people with experience. How did you address that when applying?
Other than avoiding judges who stated on OSCAR that they wanted people with experience (or judges who our clerkship office knew only hired clerks with experience), I didn't. I applied broadly during my 2L summer (the Plan was still around when I was applying, for what that's worth) and the judges who called evidently were fine with the fact that I would be clerking straight out of law school.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:11 pm

tbird wrote:Do you feel like clerking has made any big difference with the assignments you now receive or your credibility at the firm? I know it was probably a great experience and all, but does it really pay off once you are in practice in any measurable way? I mean outside of assisting with landing the right job.
It has made an immense difference. I will answer this in more detail later, but coming into my firm from a clerkship put me gave me a significant head start and has continued to pay dividends during the time I have been there. I think most of the benefits are practice-related: it makes you a better writer, improves your research skills, and gives you a really strong big-picture grasp of litigation that a lot of junior associates lack. But it also gave me a leg up on getting good assignments when I started and enhanced my credibility with certain partners. Clients care too: if I get included on the team for a case we are pitching, the pitch document will always mention who on the team clerked.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Other than avoiding judges who stated on OSCAR that they wanted people with experience (or judges who our clerkship office knew only hired clerks with experience), I didn't. I applied broadly during my 2L summer (the Plan was still around when I was applying, for what that's worth) and the judges who called evidently were fine with the fact that I would be clerking straight out of law school.
Thanks! What kind of grades do you need from HYS for a decent district court clerkship on the West coast?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:46 am

It varies heavily by judge. I think more H's than P's will put you in the running for most district court judges, but it probably isn't enough to get you picked out of the pile in some chambers in C.D. Cal/N.D. Cal. In my chambers, someone with more than 50/50 H's, a journal, a tie to the area, and a summer job at a place we had heard of would get a serious look: the clerks would read the whole writing sample, review the recommendations carefully, and likely pass on the application to the judge if everything checked out. But that's no guarantee of a callback, let alone a clerkship offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:It varies heavily by judge. I think more H's than P's will put you in the running for most district court judges, but it probably isn't enough to get you picked out of the pile in some chambers in C.D. Cal/N.D. Cal. In my chambers, someone with more than 50/50 H's, a journal, a tie to the area, and a summer job at a place we had heard of would get a serious look: the clerks would read the whole writing sample, review the recommendations carefully, and likely pass on the application to the judge if everything checked out. But that's no guarantee of a callback, let alone a clerkship offer.
Thanks again, this is really helpful!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”