Staff Attorney Positions at Big Law Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Staff Attorney Positions at Big Law Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:45 am

Does anyone have any info on these positions? Pay? Billables? Do you get your own office?

Did a search but came up empty.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Staff Attorney Positions at Big Law Firms

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:04 am

All of this varies depending on the firm and location. Staff attorneys at a couple firms in NY I knew didn't have offices because space was so tight, but in Philly I knew a couple at two or three firms that did.

Pay is all over the place depending on what work you're doing. I hear 90K a lot at big firms in major markets but that's highly anecdotal.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:52 am

I did this for a minute. Own office, technically no billables but highly advisable to pretend that it was the same as an associate's billable requirement, $100K.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:46 am

Mostly a dead end track. Secondary markets the pay can be like $60k. Generally unstable and firms will cut these attorneys without even thinking about it. Generally rank somewhere below paralegals and good legal secretaries in the pecking order.

I knew a girl from my fourth tier law school who tried to claim that she worked at a "big law firm" as an "associate." This was a bit surprising because she was particularly brain dead in law school. She even brought her laptop along to a wedding we all attended a few years after graduation so that she could pretend that she was working on a big complicated motion, etc. As it turned out, she was unstable (shocking) and ultimately got really drunk and admitted that she was just a staff lawyer doing monkey doc review. She ultimately lost that job and fell off the face of the earth.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:35 pm

My position was specifically designed to lead to an associate position. A lady I started with is now an associate after starting as a staff attorney.

Really, it's a title that allows the firm to move you around or assign you work differently than a normal associate, so the position will be very unique to each firm.
Last edited by kalvano on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:18 pm

my biglaw firm also uses the staff attorney position as a trial period potentially leading to a partnership-track associate position

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”