Clerking a year out of law school? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thisismyname

New

Clerking a year out of law school?

Post by thisismyname » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:04 pm

Does clerking a year or two out of law school create an advantage in finding another firm position? My specific issue: I accepted a job but am already not getting along with my supervising attorney. If things don't work out, I'd like to move on to a different firm. I've also been interested in clerking. Does clerking a year or two out of law school and clerking straight out of law school have the same appeal to firms? I know some federal judges in my city hire lawyers who are a couple years out of school, so I don't think that will be an issue.

TL;DR - I'm just wondering if it is a better career decision to simply try switching firms a year or two out of law school or if there is some benefit to clerking in between.

Return to “Legal Employment”