. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Re: WSGR salary

Post by favabeansoup » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:40 pm

They'll pay you the minimum of 1st year associate, regardless if you are in an overseas office, so 160k the first year. Assuming you are US JD and presumably US citizen that needs to relocate there.

The question you want though is whether they will pay you a cost of living adjustment bonus on top of that. Not every firm gives out one, but a decent amount do for high COL cities like Hong Kong or London. They pay this both because 1) it's expensive to live in those cities 2) they need to entice US attorneys to move there 3) relocation costs and 4) balance out the usually higher taxes you pay on income. What that COLA adjustment actually is depends on the firm. In London for instance, I've heard it can range from 0-40k ( haven't looked up numbers in awhile could be totally off). Higher your experience/value higher package can go.

TLDR: You won't get paid less, only a question if you'll get paid potentially much more

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:15 pm

I know that some firms don't pay 160k for first-year associates abroad, so just wondering if that's the case with WSGR

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know that some firms don't pay 160k for first-year associates abroad, so just wondering if that's the case with WSGR
The only "big" law firms that I can think of that wouldn't be paying USD$160k abroad are the UK/Magic Circle firms that are European based. Those firms aren't as generous in compensation as US based firms are. Linklaters for example pays NQ (newly qualified) attorneys something like ~70k pounds, which is around ~$100k usd now.

Almost all US based law firms (WSGR is one) pay 160k for first year associates. Someone more knowledgable about international salaries can feel free to correct me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”