DC Bar Exam C&F Timeline w/ Special Circumstances? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Bar Exam C&F Timeline w/ Special Circumstances?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:01 am

Background: Took NY Bar July 2015, passed. Have not yet sought admission in NY. Took NY because everyone else was taking it. Goal is to practice in DC after my 2016-17 clerkship. Went to a good but not crazy good school, was in top 1% of class.

Potential issue: Felony record from ~11 years ago, spent ~3 years in a state prison. Nothing violent but still heavy shit. Lots of conventionally "good" Mother Theresa-like stuff since then, but it's still an albatross. For anonymity's sake, please don't ask details of my record. School knows, some profs knew, BigLaw summer employer knew. School, knowing my post-graduation aspirations, consulted with DC Ethics official, confirmed I'd more than likely be admitted based on established C&F factors. This confirmation didn't happen until after I'd already signed up for NY (and the DC deadline had passed), or else I would have skipped NY and just done DC last July. Current plan is to take the essay portion of DC in Feb (MBE has already transferred from NY) and seek straight admission in DC rather than to try admission to NY & waive in.

Question: Has anyone had experience with criminal record-level C&F issues in DC? All insight is appreciated, but especially from anyone who was applying directly to DC rather than waiving in -- everything appears to take longer for those waiving in. My clerkship doesn't require bar, but $ will be higher if I'm admitted, and I have a possible paying summer gig with an appellate boutique in DC before the clerkship starts if I'm barred by July.

Specifically, I'm wondering what the process is like for interviews/hearings, what I should expect to receive by mail or email if things are going "well" or "astray," and approximate timelines for rendering decisions, assuming that I show up with counsel and all the good facts to whatever they throw at me.

Return to “Legal Employment”