Biglawyers: How much weight have you gained? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglawyers: How much weight have you gained?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm

It seems to be a common theme that big lawyers inevitably gain weight after starting the job. I'm set to start in biglaw, and as someone that works out every day I'd like to know what I'm in for.

homestyle28

Gold

Re: Biglawyers: How much weight have you gained?

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 pm

Right now I'm at a net neutral after about 1.5 years in biglaw. It's fluctuated between 4 or so lbs gained and 2-3 lbs lost. It's not that hard to a) keep working out andb) not get fat as long as you prioritize your diet and keep track of things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Incoming first year associate here. I like to weight lift 4 times a week, usually about an hour or so in the gym each day. Takes about 15 mins to get to my gym as well. Any opinions on whether this is sustainable in big law life? I would guess not.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Incoming first year associate hear. I like to weight lift 4 times a week, usually about an hour or so in the gym each day. Takes about 15 mins to get to my gym as well. Any opinions on whether this is sustainable in big law life? I would guess not.
Definitely sustainable. You might miss a session once in awhile because you're super busy, but it's not hard to find an hour every other day to exercise. You just have to prioritize it.

It's not like you have zero free time when you're working in big law. The problem is that you have a lot less free time than before. So you have to prioritize and make trade-offs. If you want to spend an hour or so at the gym, that might mean that you can't watch netflix that night or can't go out to dinner with a friend.

JimmyConway

New

Post by JimmyConway » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Some firms have gyms in their offices, which makes it much easier to get a quick workout in when you have a lull in the day. Even if your firm doesn't have a gym, you can definitely still workout regularly if you make it a priority. Exercising will pay dividends in focus and endurance, I highly recommend keeping it in your daily routine as much as possible, even if it is a really quick workout.

Functioning on limited sleep is a valuable skill in Big Law. I have never been the type to wake up at the crack of dawn to work out, but I know many people that stick to it and love it. Depending on your office, you may not be expected in until 9-10. If that's the case, morning workouts are pretty easy to squeeze in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Committing to the early morning workout is the only way I've seen people do it consistently. Especially early on, your days are too unpredictable to plan on going after work. More Sr. assocs sometimes do mid-day things (classes etc.). I'd suggest living close to your gym and learning to love pre-workout supplements.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:04 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Committing to the early morning workout is the only way I've seen people do it consistently. Especially early on, your days are too unpredictable to plan on going after work. More Sr. assocs sometimes do mid-day things (classes etc.). I'd suggest living close to your gym and learning to love pre-workout supplements.
This. After 10 a.m., my day can just go to shit at any given time. The problem for me is sticking to the morning workout when I'm really busy and work past midnight a lot. It's just almost impossible for me to sacrifice my 6th hour of sleep for a workout.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:12 pm

I've gained 10 pounds or so since first year (I'm a midlevel now). I never work out and eat whatever I want, so I'm not exactly trying.

I started off pretty skinny though, and have never been prone to gain weight. I'd say that most people gain a lot more than that....this job is terrible for your body.

T14Dilemma

New

Post by T14Dilemma » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:16 pm

I've lost close to 20 pounds since I started a year and a half ago. It's all about the morning work outs and meal prepping on the weekends. Otherwise, you'll definitely gain weight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:40 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Committing to the early morning workout is the only way I've seen people do it consistently. Especially early on, your days are too unpredictable to plan on going after work. More Sr. assocs sometimes do mid-day things (classes etc.). I'd suggest living close to your gym and learning to love pre-workout supplements.
Yeah that sounds like good advice. I can't imagine trying to work out at like midnight some nights. It's good to hear working out is actually a thing in biglaw--I had an experience on a callback where a 300 pound partner tried to convince me he does yoga regularly

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:54 pm

joined biglaw 1.5 years ago at about 165-170. could run a sub-7 min mile relatively easy and bench 225 2-3 times. 175 now. havent ran a mile since but im assuming 8/730 would be my best and id feel like death after. can bench 185 2-3 times now.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:22 am

JohannDeMann wrote:joined biglaw 1.5 years ago at about 165-170. could run a sub-7 min mile relatively easy and bench 225 2-3 times. 175 now. havent ran a mile since but im assuming 8/730 would be my best and id feel like death after. can bench 185 2-3 times now.
How much can you squat though. That's what we really wanna know

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah that sounds like good advice. I can't imagine trying to work out at like midnight some nights. It's good to hear working out is actually a thing in biglaw--I had an experience on a callback where a 300 pound partner tried to convince me he does yoga regularly
At my firm there are generally two classes of associates/partners on this: Class A (approx 70%) maintain a regimen of some sort (a lot of runners) that sometimes gets thrown out the window during busy times, but usually is returned to. Class B (approx 30%) give no fucks. They've either piled on the weight or smoke enough to curb appetite. Pretty sure the partner my office is adjacent to subsists on diet mountain dew, nicotine and wine.

Both groups live on 5-6 hours sleep/night during the week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 am

Rahviveh wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:joined biglaw 1.5 years ago at about 165-170. could run a sub-7 min mile relatively easy and bench 225 2-3 times. 175 now. havent ran a mile since but im assuming 8/730 would be my best and id feel like death after. can bench 185 2-3 times now.
How much can you squat though. That's what we really wanna know
Nah, its all about how much you deadlift, brah. Squat can be cheated mightily (ever see some of those quarter squats people call squats?). Deadlift, you either lifted it or you didn't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:04 pm

BigLaw for 4 years. Strength has stayed but pants size has went from 34 - 38. M&A, so zero control of my hours, its tough to even get a morning cardio + lift in some weeks and coupled with awful meals and zero sleep I fail. Think life goals, body type and practice group matter. I have meet senior associates and partners who compete in triathlons/marathons/amateur lifting/body building/modeling etc., so their are plenty of people who do it better then me. Deadlift 545 1RM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:33 pm

with all the stimulants I'm on - I hardly eat! Thus, no need for the gym in order to maintain my boyish figure.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BigLaw for 4 years. Strength has stayed but pants size has went from 34 - 38. M&A, so zero control of my hours, its tough to even get a morning cardio + lift in some weeks and coupled with awful meals and zero sleep I fail. Think life goals, body type and practice group matter. I have meet senior associates and partners who compete in triathlons/marathons/amateur lifting/body building/modeling etc., so their are plenty of people who do it better then me. Deadlift 545 1RM.
Modeling? lol what firm do you work at?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BigLaw for 4 years. Strength has stayed but pants size has went from 34 - 38. M&A, so zero control of my hours, its tough to even get a morning cardio + lift in some weeks and coupled with awful meals and zero sleep I fail. Think life goals, body type and practice group matter. I have meet senior associates and partners who compete in triathlons/marathons/amateur lifting/body building/modeling etc., so their are plenty of people who do it better then me. Deadlift 545 1RM.
Thats a very strong deadlift - how much do you weigh?? how many time per week do you hit the gym?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:18 pm

krads153 wrote:
Modeling? lol what firm do you work at?
Gotta be a Skadden bro

http://mobile.nytimes.com/slideshow/201 ... erer=&_r=0

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:21 pm

None after 4 years, but I have been the same weight and height for about 20 years. But I was a D1 college athlete in two sports and am otherwise an avid surfer, swimmer, cyclist, and runner. Also love lifting weights a few times a week. And I am a weirdo that doesn't like carbs or fried food.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:None after 4 years, but I have been the same weight and height for about 20 years. But I was a D1 college athlete in two sports and am otherwise an avid surfer, swimmer, cyclist, and runner. Also love lifting weights a few times a week. And I am a weirdo that doesn't like carbs or fried food.
How do you still have time to work out a lot?

One of my friends in biglaw runs like 20 miles on the weekends - doesn't eat fried food. Only eats veggies and some protein. He's still fit. Then there's the rest....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:None after 4 years, but I have been the same weight and height for about 20 years. But I was a D1 college athlete in two sports and am otherwise an avid surfer, swimmer, cyclist, and runner. Also love lifting weights a few times a week. And I am a weirdo that doesn't like carbs or fried food.

One of my friends in biglaw runs like 20 miles on the weekends - doesn't eat fried food. Only eats veggies and some protein. He's still fit. Then there's the rest....
It is one of my biggest hobbies, bordering on obsession. I spend most of my weekend days outside exercising. I go surfing or swimming 2-3 days a week before work. Hit the gym a few days a week after work. I'll go for a run sometimes in the mid-afternoon. I am also on a reduced hours (1800) schedule and I work from home, which I think takes the edge off of biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It is one of my biggest hobbies, bordering on obsession. I spend most of my weekend days outside exercising. I go surfing or swimming 2-3 days a week before work. Hit the gym a few days a week after work. I'll go for a run sometimes in the mid-afternoon. I am also on a reduced hours (1800) schedule and I work from home, which I think takes the edge off of biglaw.
How do you get on reduced hours and work from home?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:36 pm

I think the easiest way to avoid gaining weight in big law is to have sex, and I'm saying this as someone who doesn't get laid nearly enough. When you work long hours you will need and crave some pleasure and some me time. It is easy to find this pleasure in food, especially after an 18 hour day. It's there, it's easy and it takes so little effort. You want to limit that to whatever extent is possible. Massages, manicures/pedicures, etc. could also work. This will avoid obesity. Let someone else speak about fitness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How do you get on reduced hours and work from home?
I moved to a city where my firm doesn't have an office, and my firm has two full-time hours tracks open to all associates. (Yes, the reduced one also has reduced pay.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”