1L Summer Does PD Office Matter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Does PD Office Matter?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:36 pm

1L with offers from a number of PD offices. Does it matter where you go for long term employment?

Any thoughts on ideal summer internship offices?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: 1L Summer Does PD Office Matter?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:51 pm

If you want to work in a particular city/region after graduation, it may be a good idea to work there during your summers. It's hard enough to break into some markets without having to answer "why did you go to Austin for the summer if you're supposedly so set on settling in Boston?" in every interview?

There are PD offices with more "prestige." Miami-Dade, for example. There are others who can better speak to that.

Also, the work you will be doing matters. If you're just gonna file papers, then skip it. The more substantive work, the better. The better training they have in place in the office that you'd get to take advantage of, the better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:56 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:If you want to work in a particular city/region after graduation, it may be a good idea to work there during your summers. It's hard enough to break into some markets without having to answer "why did you go to Austin for the summer if you're supposedly so set on settling in Boston?" in every interview?

There are PD offices with more "prestige." Miami-Dade, for example. There are others who can better speak to that.

Also, the work you will be doing matters. If you're just gonna file papers, then skip it. The more substantive work, the better. The better training they have in place in the office that you'd get to take advantage of, the better.

Deciding between Miami-Dade, Orleans, and Manhattan Legal Aid. Any reason to prefer one over the other?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Postby CaptainLeela » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:01 pm

Welcome to TLS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:06 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:If you want to work in a particular city/region after graduation, it may be a good idea to work there during your summers. It's hard enough to break into some markets without having to answer "why did you go to Austin for the summer if you're supposedly so set on settling in Boston?" in every interview?

Deciding between Miami-Dade, Orleans, and Manhattan Legal Aid. Any reason to prefer one over the other?

The ACLU just filed a class action against OPD. That would make me nervous if I was you. Do you have a preferred market?

e: this isn't necessarily a bad thing for OPD, but I don't know what will be going on with their office by the time the summer arrives; they have serious institutional issues at the moment.

Preferred market is NYC, I've just heard that 1Ls at OPD are given a lot more substantive experience. Wasn't sure if that's actually true, or typical of all three offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Office you want to work > Substantive work offered > Office has historically hired from your school > City you want to work > Jx you want to work

that'd be my criteria

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Postby CaptainLeela » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:11 pm

Welcome to TLS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:18 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:I don't think it would be at any of those offices would hinder NY hiring, particularly if you can work at one of the NY offices as a 2L (which you absolutely should do for networking and familiarity purposes). They're all going to have a strong, structured program. LAS may help you get your foot in the door more, but if there's a financial difference/you are particularly drawn elsewhere, I think you'll be ok.

Thank you for all the help!! OPD is pretty attractive for affordability reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:25 am

nvm

Return to “Legal Employment�