Getting no work - what to do Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Getting no work - what to do

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal to feel like everybody hates you, and you're going to get fired?
Why do you feel like everyone hates you? Is this your first professional job? I don't ask that in a condescending way. I ask because many young people starting out, who have never before worked in a professional office environment, can have a bit of a hard time making the distinction between what is personal and what is just business. Do you feel like they hate your work? Your attitude? Personality? Need to be a bit more specific.
Not everyone, a few people. Not 1st job. Body language. Not directly comparable, but I was trained to read body language in the army and have helped people train dogs using body language. There are a few relatively junior people I've had negative experiences working with, and while they are friendly, their body language is aggressively hostile. Lawyers have poor social intelligence so don't realize they're showing their hand.
I think you are way over analyzing this... maybe they are being hostile, but that might be because you are creepily staring them up and down looking for these "clues." Or maybe (and more likely) they are being hostile or whatever you think, but the target of that hostility is towards someone else or their work in general.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Plenty of people hate other people in biglaw. There is a real huge chance they really do just hate his guts.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:21 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal to feel like everybody hates you, and you're going to get fired?
Why do you feel like everyone hates you? Is this your first professional job? I don't ask that in a condescending way. I ask because many young people starting out, who have never before worked in a professional office environment, can have a bit of a hard time making the distinction between what is personal and what is just business. Do you feel like they hate your work? Your attitude? Personality? Need to be a bit more specific.
Not everyone, a few people. Not 1st job. Body language. Not directly comparable, but I was trained to read body language in the army and have helped people train dogs using body language. There are a few relatively junior people I've had negative experiences working with, and while they are friendly, their body language is aggressively hostile. Lawyers have poor social intelligence so don't realize they're showing their hand.
I think you are way over analyzing this... maybe they are being hostile, but that might be because you are creepily staring them up and down looking for these "clues." Or maybe (and more likely) they are being hostile or whatever you think, but the target of that hostility is towards someone else or their work in general.
It could be the passive aggressiveness of the whole thing. Most of my work experience was client centered where you'd work directly with the person paying money, and if a client had an issue with you they would make it known on no uncertain terms and you could resolve it. Here, people can hold grudges for years.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:52 pm

I don't work at a big firm, so feel free to ignore this advice, but I had a similar problem early in my career. I did the only things I could do: asked for work, didn't turn ANY work down, didn't go back to partners with time-wasting questions after an assignment, and used the fact that I had extra time to do work that was as close to perfect as possible (you know, for a young associate who didn't know anything).

I would never ask for work to the point of being annoying, but just make sure that the partners who might have work to give will think of you when that time comes. Do what you can without being weird to ensure you're part of that thought process. If you're ever offered to go to lunch, do it, even if you have to skip your workout or whatever. If you're invited to do some menial shit pro bono thing, of course do it and be happy with it and do it without burdening another attorney. Don't brown-nose, but basically try to be the path of least resistance for the partner when she's thinking about where to send work.

That's all you can really control, as far as my (non-biglaw) opinion goes. From there, just live by the mantra that it's not worth stressing over shit that you can't influence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Yup, it's Monday and I'm sitting on my ass doing nothing. [I'm not OP btw]

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Apple.Sauce

New

Post by Apple.Sauce » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:00 pm

I'm right there with you.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:21 pm

*looks at Jan hours*

*blinks*

Well, it was a good run.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:27 pm

Grab lunch with partners/senior associates. That'd help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yup, it's Monday and I'm sitting on my ass doing nothing. [I'm not OP btw]
Same. 1.2 hours today. I was told not to worry about the stub year, but I had another sub-100 month in January. Starting to think it's me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:57 pm

If you're new and not getting any work, you shouldn't be eating lunch alone. Obviously you can send "please give me work" emails out, and you should, but they are only going to be effective to a point. Better to just socialize with senior associates and partners where you can (lunch is a good place for this since people usually want to just go home after work). That way they know and like you, and you will come to mind when a new case comes in and needs staffing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”