napping/meditation in biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

napping/meditation in biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:16 pm

heading to regional biglaw firm in ca in a secondary market. are 15 minute power naps/meditation sessions possible? I feel like i could get way more work done more efficiently and produce better work product if i could do this every 4-6 hours or so

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: napping/meditation in biglaw

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:23 pm

I honestly was going to say something like "maybe if you're in California" and then saw you're in California so, yeah maybe?

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:26 am

you can try but just don't be disappointed when some partner ruins your qi with an "status of memo? need draft in next 5 mins. thank." email

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:07 pm

A while ago the partners in my group held a meditation lunch session in the office (not in ca), the general impression I got after the session is that they encourage everyone to meditate to deal with stress, but the problem is we have glass doors so meditating would look like napping and that's kind of frown upon. I raised the question one time to a partner and his answer was no one would think you're napping if you are meditating, and jokingly says maybe face the window when you meditate. Not sure if that's helpful but if you have your own private office I'd say just do it if you need to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:48 pm

biglaw in dc. meditate about 10 minutes (using the app headspace) almost every day right when I get into the office. Turn phone volume off, cpu volume off, and close the door to my office. Been at it for a few months and haven't had a problem yet.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Postby patentlitigatrix » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Some firms have quiet rooms where you can go a relax if need be. Ours has a couch where you can lay down, has low level lighting, and a small fridge with bottled water. I used ours when I got a migraine at work. Yes, in California.

johndhi

Bronze

Postby johndhi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Dude... yes. People spend hours on facebook at work; you should be able to do something actually productive and healthful. Some firms make it easier or harder for people to see into your office as they walk by (some have blinds, some don't). Even if you just have to put a book in front of you and turn your chair to face the window, though, you can make it work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:38 pm

I always take a few minutes to clear my head and meditate or nap a bit. A quick 15 minute investment of time can make me more productive for the rest of the day. Luckily, people in the hall can't see into my office, so its a bit less awkward (though the mail person comes in from time to time to check my outbox, so he sometimes comes in while I'm nodding off). I don't think anyone would discourage taking 15 min to close your door and unwind to keep your mind and body healthier.

Return to “Legal Employment�