What's going on in Texas?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What's going on in Texas?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What about Mayer Brown, I think they have a tiny office?

It is quite small. Don't have much (any) visibility in the market, at least not on the M&A side.

What about Corporate work, generally?

Can't really speak to corporate generally. I have not heard them mentioned by my friends in different departments, but that purely anecdotal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any insights on Jackson Walker Houston for transactions? I know they're a lower-tier regional and do very little if any energy transactions, but does that also mean that they're more insulated from the chaos at the top of the market (with all the New York firms coming in, etc.)?

Also - how is Norton Rose for transactions in Houston? I know they are more of a lit firm and that they aren't at the top-tier for corporate, but is their corporate practice at least mid-level for Houston?

Jackson Walker - My impression is that they do much smaller deals for less sophisticated clients. They seem well known/respected in the Texas market, but they do not get the top end, headline making deals. I know of at least one associate that lateraled to JW as a midlevel from one of VE/BB/LW/KE and recently lateraled back to different one of the top firms because they were basically bored doing the types of deals Jackson Walker does. A single anecdote, but the best insight I can offer.

NRF is solidly middle tier in the transactional hierarchy. We see them from time to time, and there are several large O&G companies that use NRF for most of their public company and capM work. I don't think it is accurate to describe them as "more of a lit firm", but they are unique in that they are the only historic Texas firm in Houston that still has a sizable lit section. Last I knew, their headcount was about equal between corporate and lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Would it be accurate to say that it's harder to get Dallas biglaw vs. Houston biglaw if you've never lived in either? Because Dallas has fewer openings and they care more about Dallas-specific ties versus broader Texas ties?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Postby totesTheGoat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:27 pm

I can't speak for Houston, but I saw a fair share of non-Dallas and non-TX associates in the big Dallas firms. I would guess that the folks without any ties were less than 1/3 of the total number, but I doubt they were as low as 1/4.

However, the tieless folks did tend to be more senior (5+ years experience). The new classes seemed to be more laden with TX ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Dallas biglaw associate here.

Would you mind sharing some insights about the Dallas market? Who are the top corp players (guessing HB, VE, Weil ... where do places like JD fit in)? Are certain firms more known for no offering than others?

Also curious about this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 pm

Did you guys see the M&A deal count by law firm in the TX Lawbook for 2017?

Here are the rankings:
1. V&E
2. Sidley
3. AK
4. Jones Day
5. LW
6. Locke Lord
7. BB
8. Jackson Walker
9. HayBoo
10. Kirkland

Return to “Legal Employment?