Computers in BigLawls

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Computers in BigLawls

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:08 am

mt2165 wrote:On a sidenote, what kind of laptops do firms usually issue? Thinkpads? I like thinkpads

My V20 had Dell laptops with the docking station.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:25 am

On the carpe diem point, does anyone have an internet program they recommend as a stop watch? I plan on tracking it accurately, but then you're on one project and get a call, try to stop one timer and start another, then the program crashes. At some point, I lost the habit of using the timers because I couldn't rely on them. I know many lawyers guesstimate, but I don't like it so I'd like a plan B.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:On the carpe diem point, does anyone have an internet program they recommend as a stop watch? I plan on tracking it accurately, but then you're on one project and get a call, try to stop one timer and start another, then the program crashes. At some point, I lost the habit of using the timers because I couldn't rely on them. I know many lawyers guesstimate, but I don't like it so I'd like a plan B.

yeah your fucking iphone

patentlitigatrix

Postby patentlitigatrix » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:26 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On the carpe diem point, does anyone have an internet program they recommend as a stop watch? I plan on tracking it accurately, but then you're on one project and get a call, try to stop one timer and start another, then the program crashes. At some point, I lost the habit of using the timers because I couldn't rely on them. I know many lawyers guesstimate, but I don't like it so I'd like a plan B.

yeah your fucking iphone

My time-keeping software gives you the ability to create "buttons" for different matters/task codes. Really easy to keep track of time this way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:32 pm

Mine assigns pretty spec'd out thinkpads with a docking station at the office, everyone asks for and gets a second monitor. Maybe half the associates bring their own accessories like wireless mouse or mechanical keyboard (to annoy the secretaries with). You can request a desktop but nobody does because it's very easy to work from home or off site with the laptop, and not nearly as easy to remote access in.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Also, a good tip for being a new associate: don't be the weird needy guy who wants special treatment to match his preferences. Biglaw, like lots of businesses, works by putting you into a uniform system. It's not efficient to accommodate hundreds of lawyers' individual computer brand and specifications preferences.

There's a difference between "Give me a 13'' Acer with a minimum of 12 hours battery life, an i7 processor, touch screen tablet mode, and make sure it's under 5 lbs" vs "Can I have a laptop that wasn't manufactured during the Bush administration and takes literally 2 minutes to boot up?"

Not that I know what a standard issue biglaw laptop is like, but there's a chasm between "wants special treatment" and "doesn't want to work with shitty equipment".

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Also, a good tip for being a new associate: don't be the weird needy guy who wants special treatment to match his preferences. Biglaw, like lots of businesses, works by putting you into a uniform system. It's not efficient to accommodate hundreds of lawyers' individual computer brand and specifications preferences.

There's a difference between "Give me a 13'' Acer with a minimum of 12 hours battery life, an i7 processor, touch screen tablet mode, and make sure it's under 5 lbs" vs "Can I have a laptop that wasn't manufactured during the Bush administration and takes literally 2 minutes to boot up?"

Not that I know what a standard issue biglaw laptop is like, but there's a chasm between "wants special treatment" and "doesn't want to work with shitty equipment".

When you're in biglaw, a good rule of thumb (at least when you're just starting out) is to shut the fuck up and do as you're instructed. If you have a tech budget, use it for whatever you need. But DO NOT stick out in ANY way that could possibly be viewed in a negative light during your first few months/years.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:02 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

When you're in biglaw, a good rule of thumb (at least when you're just starting out) is to shut the fuck up and do as you're instructed. If you have a tech budget, use it for whatever you need. But DO NOT stick out in ANY way that could possibly be viewed in a negative light during your first few months/years.

i dunno, there seems to be a pretty green light to abuse staff in biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:21 am

I disagree with the shut the fuck up rule. It's knowing your audience. Your audience isn't your firm. It's the people you work for, and work with. If you're a burger flipper at McDonalds, and the manager complains that the new angus third-pounder sucks, you don't tell him he's wrong because you're not working for McDonalds.

patentlitigatrix

Postby patentlitigatrix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:47 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:

Ya. Also, at least at my firm, everyone's computers are standard, non-fancy laptops and they aren't changed out with the frequency you'd hope. Applies to partners too. You just learn to deal with it. It's not like you really do anything requiring a high-powered system anyways.

patentlitigatrix

Postby patentlitigatrix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

i dunno, there seems to be a pretty green light to abuse staff in biglaw.

This has to be firm dependent. Wouldn't be tolerated where I work. Associate got fired for this.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I disagree with the shut the fuck up rule. It's knowing your audience. Your audience isn't your firm. It's the people you work for, and work with. If you're a burger flipper at McDonalds, and the manager complains that the new angus third-pounder sucks, you don't tell him he's wrong because you're not working for McDonalds.

Nah, ding. Completely missed the point I was trying to make.

Creating positive first impressions (and subsequent impressions, until you earn peoples' trust) is just a fundamental life skill that you have to develop if you want to get anywhere in any organization. Support staff can save your ass in certain situations. (I know my secretary caught a couple of things that would have been a real problem for me that I had no idea about.) Regarding the computer thing, just go with the flow when you first get there, unless you have to make some kind of binding decision right off the bat. Ask around to see if people have a tech budget. See what other associates are using in terms of computers, etc. Don't just march in there the first day and be like, "I'M A GAMER, BITCHES. HOOK ME UP!"

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:12 pm

I used to use this when I was working. Worked like a charm.

https://trackingtime.co/

I liked how you can download your timesheet for the week/month into a CSV file so you can organize it so its not a pain in the ass to enter.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I disagree with the shut the fuck up rule. It's knowing your audience. Your audience isn't your firm. It's the people you work for, and work with. If you're a burger flipper at McDonalds, and the manager complains that the new angus third-pounder sucks, you don't tell him he's wrong because you're not working for McDonalds.

Nah, ding. Completely missed the point I was trying to make.

Creating positive first impressions (and subsequent impressions, until you earn peoples' trust) is just a fundamental life skill that you have to develop if you want to get anywhere in any organization. Support staff can save your ass in certain situations. (I know my secretary caught a couple of things that would have been a real problem for me that I had no idea about.) Regarding the computer thing, just go with the flow when you first get there, unless you have to make some kind of binding decision right off the bat. Ask around to see if people have a tech budget. See what other associates are using in terms of computers, etc. Don't just march in there the first day and be like, "I'M A GAMER, BITCHES. HOOK ME UP!"

I get what you're saying, I was just asking generally about the presence of desktops vs. laptops. I would wait after a while and ask another associate about it.

Return to “Legal Employment”