LEGAL SALARY DATAPOINTS

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JohnMaynardKeynes

New

Re: LEGAL SALARY DATAPOINTS

Postby JohnMaynardKeynes » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Size: Investment Fund
Experience: 2017 grad
Practice area: Private Equity
Position: Associate (non-legal)
Hours: 35-80 depending on week, don’t work weekends
Comp: 120 + (50-150% of salary bonus), 3750 401k match, fully paid insurance + 2400 spend, don’t pay for lunch, 25+ days of PTO on top of vacation, no fee co-invest rights

Hi, very interested. Could you please PM me, thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:54 am

Position: Lit. Associate, AMLAW 200
Experience: 6th Year
Salary: $200K + secondary bonus ($10-15K)
Hours: 1900

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Position: Manager Regulatory Compliance/Consultant (niche area)
Experience: 4.5 Years
Salary: $165,000 + 10% Bonus + generous 401K Match and Pension

Also, graduated lower half of my law school class (not proud but shows that law school stats are not the end all/be all)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Recently changed firms. Here are the details.
Position: (now) L&E Litigation; (prior) General Civil Litigation [small firm; ~20 attorneys]
Experience: Going into 2nd year. Grad from TT/TTT.
Salary: (now) $155k + 25% base salary bonus [I believe raises are $10k increments only]; (prior) $95k + insignificant bonus ($500 last Christmas).
Hours: (now) 2200, lots of work to do, usually 8-6:30 + occasionally login at night; (prior) expected 1960 (160/month), but because workload was inconsistent (had to inform partners of light workload every month to seek additional assignments), I billed about 130-150 a month.

Comment: Main difference between the two is the workload. Let me tell you, the days are absolutely dreadful when (1) you don't have work to do and are sitting around waiting for assignments and (2) you're doing crappy cases that you have no interest whatsoever. However, I did not have much of a choice as to my first legal job--I didn't get a biglaw position from OCI [only about 5 people from my class got it; which is expected from my school], so I had to take whatever firm decided to offer me.

I think my current firm has pretty good worklife balance... though some of my friends in biglaw are killing it with the same hours (8-6:30). Yet they get paid significantly more. I think the biglaw workload in SF is significant less intense than in NY. No friends in NY so I cannot confirm. But if that's the case, I'd probably shoot for biglaw in about 3-5 years.

dabigchina

Gold

Postby dabigchina » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Location: Phoenix
Position: Manager Regulatory Compliance/Consultant (niche area)
Experience: 4.5 Years
Salary: $165,000 + 10% Bonus + generous 401K Match and Pension

Also, graduated lower half of my law school class (not proud but shows that law school stats are not the end all/be all)

wow congrats. you win at life (no sarcasm). you probably have a better lifestyle than most of my biglaw partners.

Return to “Legal Employment?