Will I pass the background check for SA position? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will I pass the background check for SA position?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:17 am

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Will I pass the background check for SA position?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:47 am

Yes it will come up, and yes, you should disclose. Talk to someone at your law school about how to do it, but do it before submitting the background check.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:40 am

Yeah you're going to want to amend your law school application with this information. When you apply to the Bar, they will compare your bar application to your law school application. If there is something listed on your bar app (like this criminal charge) that wasn't disclosed to your law school, that could be a red flag. Avoid that. Just disclose via amendment to your law school application now.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:50 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Yeah you're going to want to amend your law school application with this information. When you apply to the Bar, they will compare your bar application to your law school application. If there is something listed on your bar app (like this criminal charge) that wasn't disclosed to your law school, that could be a red flag. Avoid that. Just disclose via amendment to your law school application now.
wait this wasn't responsive to OP's original question tho

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:54 am

Isn't the question of whether you were convicted relevant here? Here is one law school's application prompt:

Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense, or is any charge now pending against you for any crime other than a traffic violation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:00 pm

Alive97 wrote:Isn't the question of whether you were convicted relevant here? Here is one law school's application prompt:

Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense, or is any charge now pending against you for any crime other than a traffic violation?
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=170603

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:37 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Alive97 wrote:Isn't the question of whether you were convicted relevant here? Here is one law school's application prompt:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=170603
1) the above is correct
2) some schools/checks ask about arrests as well as convictions

OP, sorry that's not pertinent to your question. I agree you should probably disclose early, but am not an expert on this. It may also depend on what the misdemeanor was - minor drug related stuff is very different from identity theft.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:41 pm

I could be wrong but I don't think any post ITT other than the first response addressed the OP's actual question

Eta: Personally, I'm not sure, hopefully someone has some experience with this

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:13 pm

I know it's not responsive, but do you really need to amend your application after matriculation?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Huluba

New

Post by Huluba » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:17 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:I know it's not responsive, but do you really need to amend your application after matriculation?
no. this doesn't make sense

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:24 pm

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:38 pm

Huluba wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:I know it's not responsive, but do you really need to amend your application after matriculation?
yes you do

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:48 pm

DELG wrote:
Huluba wrote:
yes you do
But it sounds like this offense occurred after he already started law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:16 pm

Doesn't the app say you need to update it even after you're admitted

Anyway I know NU and other schools have said you need to update it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:35 pm

You are supposed to tell the firm about past arrests that didn't lead to a conviction? I understand disclosing these to law schools that ask, and bar applications that ask, but why would OP have to disclose this to a law firm assuming the firm does not ask but merely asks for permission to run a standard background check?

What about federal clerkships?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:02 pm

Federal clerkships don't run extensive background checks. The form I had asked:

During the last 10 years, have you been convicted, imprisoned, on probation, or on parole? (Include felonies, firearms or explosives violations, misdemeanors, and all other offenses)
Have you been convicted by a military court-martial in the past 10 years?
Are you now under charges for any violation of law?

I don't know what firms do/don't want to know, but I think part of the issue here is that the arrest is so recent. I don't know whether it would come up in a background check.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have accepted a SA position at big law, and recently consented to a background check. I was arrested and charged for a misdemeanor earlier this year. I pleaded not guilty, completed the community service requirements, and the charge was dismissed. Is this going to be a problem? And am I supposed to disclose this information to somebody at the firm before this comes up in the background check?
Was in a similar situation. Just told hr that this is what they may find in the check. It was totally fine. Passed the bar and am now working at that firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Federal clerkships don't run extensive background checks. The form I had asked:

During the last 10 years, have you been convicted, imprisoned, on probation, or on parole? (Include felonies, firearms or explosives violations, misdemeanors, and all other offenses)
Have you been convicted by a military court-martial in the past 10 years?
Are you now under charges for any violation of law?

I don't know what firms do/don't want to know, but I think part of the issue here is that the arrest is so recent. I don't know whether it would come up in a background check.
Is this for a federal clerkship, or a Biglaw firm?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:29 pm

federal clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:35 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:47 pm

I don't remember what my 2L firm asked, if anything, to be honest (I don't have anything to disclose so I never remember the questions). Sorry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:09 pm

DELG wrote:Doesn't the app say you need to update it even after you're admitted

Anyway I know NU and other schools have said you need to update it
Yeah my law school specifically said to update for character and fitness reasons because the bar will compare your bar app to the information you disclosed to your law school. I wasn't just making this up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Don't quote. Anon but still enough info to identify.

Go to the court that processed your case and ask for your criminal record. Check the exact status of your case. Often things that sound like not convictions are actually convictions. For instance in my state my "conditional discharges" were technically no contest pleas in lieu of a sentence. What I'm suggesting is a court rarely can mandate you doing community service while at the same time entirely dismissing your case. If it turns out your record shows, you have another decision to make. Criminal background checks are actually pretty sketchy, it takes time for this court's records to end up in the fbi database, if they get there at all. With criminal law being a largely state by state thing, those records aren't nearly as consolidated as people think. Not disclosing would be a huge gamble though. Fwiw when I got my offer letter that made mention of a background check I immediately scheduled a lunch with a partner I clicked with, brought my own background and disclosed in detail my charges. He brought it to HR and presented it favorably to me, and they later assured me not to worry. This is my suggestion, particularly if you have an insider you think you can get working on your side.

Don't quote. Anon but still enough info to identify.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:04 pm

na bro you're good, chill.

if they ask you something where u would need to tell then do it, but otherwise there's no reason to even bring it up. This isn't disclosing to your school or the bar, this is an employer. You did the diversion or whatever precisely BECAUSE you don't want to tell employers about the arrest.

FWIW, I had multiple charges pre- and post- matriculating to LS. I had no issue at all getting many offers after having done background checks at the firms that did them. All of them have been dismissed pending various diversion programs etc. Did not tell anyone about them except my Bar applications and telling my law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”