Leaving after 3 months Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving after 3 months

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:47 pm

How bad does it look to leave to a comparable firm after 3 months? In particular if you joined the firm as a 3L.

los blancos

Platinum

Re: Leaving after 3 months

Post by los blancos » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:53 pm

Depending on the timing, no one may ever have to know?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:19 pm

If moving firms is what is best for you, then that's all that matters.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:28 pm

Leaving one firm after three months, if you have another job to go to, isn't a problem. Do that more than once and you start to look like a flake, so you should ideally stay at the next job for a few years at least.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:40 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Leaving one firm after three months, if you have another job to go to, isn't a problem. Do that more than once and you start to look like a flake, so you should ideally stay at the next job for a few years at least.
Agree with this. There's really no difference between leaving after three months and leaving after one year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:42 pm

los blancos wrote:Depending on the timing, no one may ever have to know?
Huh?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:45 pm

rpupkin wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Leaving one firm after three months, if you have another job to go to, isn't a problem. Do that more than once and you start to look like a flake, so you should ideally stay at the next job for a few years at least.
Agree with this. There's really no difference between leaving after three months and leaving after one year.
I third this, but also: query why you want to leave so soon? There are legitimate reasons, but I would wonder about whether someone who did this had burned a bridge or something... Point being, be prepared to explain this decision in your next job interview, even if that isn't for another several years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:23 am

rpupkin wrote:

Really? Feels like a year is a lot more experience relative to 3 months, taking into account training and the sometimes slow assimilation of first years to practice groups.

ihadadream

New

Post by ihadadream » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:24 am

I think it raises questions. It's much easier to spin leaving after a year. However, if the benefits somehow outweigh the costs of staying, then go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Really? Feels like a year is a lot more experience relative to 3 months, taking into account training and the sometimes slow assimilation of first years to practice groups.
eh people are still quite useless and undesirable lateral candidates after a year

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:51 am

rpupkin wrote:
Huh?
I meant in terms of future employers past job #2 looking at a resume - might one be able to leave such a short stint off altogether if it doesn't belie an employment gap?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:01 am

No real difference between leaving after 3 months and leaving after 1 year. In both cases, its clear that some kind of course correction was necessary, and that could be for a number of reasons. For example, maybe you were stuffed into a practice group you didn't want to be in, or the firm simply wasn't a match for you. Or maybe you suddenly had a need to switch geographic markets. Whatever the reason, an early change is an early change and 1 year isn't really all that much more than 3 months as far as how people will perceive it.

But keep in mind that you had better be making the right choice in doing the switch. A common mantra is that everyone gets 1 free pass early in their biglaw career to make some kind of course correction, and almost no one will question it. But you will almost certainly need to put in a few solid years at the new firm if you want to avoid looking like a serial hopper. So make sure the new place really is the right fit.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:44 am

los blancos wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Huh?
I meant in terms of future employers past job #2 looking at a resume - might one be able to leave such a short stint off altogether if it doesn't belie an employment gap?
That might work for someone planning to leave law altogether. But if you're applying for legal jobs, you have to tell your prospective employer about all the firms you've worked at as an attorney, including your dates of employment.
Last edited by rpupkin on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:51 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:53 am

Desert Fox wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
los blancos wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Huh?
That might work for someone planning to leave law altogether. But if you're applying to legal jobs, you pretty much have to tell your prospective employer about all the firms you've worked at as an attorney, including your dates of employment.
For conflicts checks, doesn't have to go on the resume.
Technically true. But I wouldn't leave a law firm I worked at off my resume unless it was a long time ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”