3L Law Clerk/ No SA --> Full Time Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Law Clerk/ No SA --> Full Time Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 pm

I am a 3L at a T25 currently working at a "big law" firm, but not v100 firm, as a law clerk. I have below median GPA (3.0-3.2), and probably would not have gotten this position through OCI. I have only been here for a short time, but there has been no indication of when this job would end, or whether I could be considered for a full-time associate position.

I assume the possibility of a full-time offer is contingent on my performance and their availability. But, to be honest, I don't think I am even qualified to have the job I have now, much less to be hired as full-time attorney. My GPA is likely much lower than many of the first-year associate attorneys in the office. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience being a 3L part-time clerk with no SA, and eventually receiving a full-time offer.

Is there anything I could do to put myself in a better position to receive an offer? In addition, should I at least ask a higher-up about the timeline? Or, just wait until they bring it up to me. Thanks.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Re: 3L Law Clerk/ No SA --> Full Time Offer

Post by lawschoolftw » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L at a T25 currently working at a "big law" firm, but not v100 firm, as a law clerk. I have below median GPA (3.0-3.2), and probably would not have gotten this position through OCI. I have only been here for a short time, but there has been no indication of when this job would end, or whether I could be considered for a full-time associate position.

I assume the possibility of a full-time offer is contingent on my performance and their availability. But, to be honest, I don't think I am even qualified to have the job I have now, much less to be hired as full-time attorney. My GPA is likely much lower than many of the first-year associate attorneys in the office. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience being a 3L part-time clerk with no SA, and eventually receiving a full-time offer.

Is there anything I could do to put myself in a better position to receive an offer? In addition, should I at least ask a higher-up about the timeline? Or, just wait until they bring it up to me. Thanks.
Have some confidence. I have no idea what your work product is like, but given the tenor of this post ["I don't think I am even qualified to have the job I have now . . ."] I would guess it's suffering by a feeling of inferiority. Your performance in law school bares little resemblance to an ability to practice law. The best thing you can do to get an offer is make an impression by doing good work and developing relationships so that people like you. That said, it could be worth a frank conversation with someone to let them know you've enjoyed your time there and would be interested in coming back so that you can gauge the likelihood of that happening. Best of luck.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Re: 3L Law Clerk/ No SA --> Full Time Offer

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:44 pm

my firm has a few semester law clerks (both 2L and 3L) on top of regular summers.

the clerks have to apply (cover letter, resume, writing sample) and interview for open positions as if they were like any other law student applying for an open associate position. It's a weird process but generally (for us) they make you talk to different people and different groups - and the clerk hiring committee is different than the associate hiring committee .

my recommednation: raise your grades as much as you can. there's a real chance taht you'll get an offer but gpa is absolutely going to matter. Different people than the ones you are familiar with are going to be involved in your job offer and GPA is likely going to remain a driving force.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”