SAUSA: Exploitation or path to paid employment? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Manali

Bronze

SAUSA: Exploitation or path to paid employment?

Post by Manali » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:18 pm

http://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/special- ... -positions

Just came across the above listing as an unpaid Assistant U.S. Attorney. Do these glorified internships typically lead to paid positions at the U.S. Attorney's Office after X months of satisfactory performance? Anyone have anecdotal stories of SAUSAs who have transitioned into AUSAs (or other federal government positions)?

Anonymous User

Re: SAUSA: Exploitation or path to paid employment?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:14 pm

I think they're generally exploitative, but can be beneficial in certain circumstances. Historically these positions were used to allow federal lawyers from agencies where litigation wasn't common to obtain litigation experience while being paid by their regular agency. It was only during the recession that these positions were expanded to non federal attorneys. Because of the original purpose of the program, it's not at all set up to provide a permanent job at the completion of the term and I think it would be very rare to get one. I have heard of people using the experience to get other federal jobs or AUSA positions in other offices, but these people generally had some legal experience before applying. And weren't straight out of law school. I do think these positions are good for lawyers who have a good background but who may be corporate or don't get a lot of exposure to litigation but want to transition to a litigation role. But obviously you need to be prepared to work without pay for a year with no guarantee of success.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:10 am

The link in the OP is looking for detailees - those are lawyers working elsewhere for the feds and they will usually get paid as if through their home agency.

As for the unpaid positions, I know a couple of people who got permanent positions out of them (one in the same office, one in a different office). They're technically not supposed to work that way, but I think it's actually not uncommon for that to happen. Both were coming from biglaw, wanted to shift to criminal, and could afford to go without pay for a stretch.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:50 pm

For the unpaid SAUSA positions, can you obtain outside funding from a school-sponsored fellowship so that you can fucking eat?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:56 pm

If the school allows it - the USAO isn't going to care. But most of those school-funded fellowships are for the year after graduation and the only people I know who got the unpaid SAUSA gigs had some kind of experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:34 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If the school allows it - the USAO isn't going to care. But most of those school-funded fellowships are for the year after graduation and the only people I know who got the unpaid SAUSA gigs had some kind of experience.
How did they support themselves during the term of the SAUSA? Independently wealthy? Savings from BigLaw salary? I can't imagine why someone mid-career would want to take on a glorified internship that may not lead to anything. I thought these were for desperate recent grads, like the recent posting I saw for a volunteer prosecutor at the Marin County DA.

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:15 pm

Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:If the school allows it - the USAO isn't going to care. But most of those school-funded fellowships are for the year after graduation and the only people I know who got the unpaid SAUSA gigs had some kind of experience.
How did they support themselves during the term of the SAUSA? Independently wealthy? Savings from BigLaw salary? I can't imagine why someone mid-career would want to take on a glorified internship that may not lead to anything. I thought these were for desperate recent grads, like the recent posting I saw for a volunteer prosecutor at the Marin County DA.
I've met a couple of current and former uncompensated SAUSAs at the NAC (National Advocacy Center, DOJ's training center in South Carolina). One dipped into his savings from when he worked at a firm until he was offered a permanent position elsewhere in the Department. Another came straight from a Federal District Court clerkship and was relying on her husband's firm income while she gained experience.

I think a lot of people do this to show their commitment to the Department. It's like if they do their time, they may get lucky enough to get an offer somewhere. I imagine it's quite stressful, but it seems to work out in at least a few cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:17 pm

Both people I know who've done this really wanted to leave big law and so saved up to be able to spend a year working without pay. (One spent about 10 years in big law, the other spent 6.) Both got permanent gigs, so for them it was a good deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”