Small Firm Callback (2L Law Clerk Position) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
laballermvp9

New

Small Firm Callback (2L Law Clerk Position)

Post by laballermvp9 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Three weeks ago, I had an interview with a partner of a small firm which I thought went well. Last week, I received a call to come in for another interview with an associate (which went even better than the first interview imo). The partner was out of the office last week, so I was told I would receive a call sometime this week (which never happened). I'm just really anxious about finding a job by January. Would it be advisable to reach out to the associate and send a thank you letter and express my continued interest at this point, or would it be better to just wait it out and pursue other opportunities?

ezjojo30

New

Re: Small Firm Callback (2L Law Clerk Position)

Post by ezjojo30 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:40 am

A lot of people here will tell you that thank you emails don't do much to help, and can really only hurt you. I think its pretty negligible, and I would probably send a follow up in your case. I found in a few instances based on my experience that I was basically dinged and the firm was not going to let me know, but only after I sent a follow up email did I receive a ding that same day. Just my anecdote, so take it for what its worth.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:16 pm

It's too late to send a thank you email. Following up is fine, but I'd probably wait til at least Wednesday or so

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:27 pm

ezjojo30 wrote:A lot of people here will tell you that thank you emails don't do much to help, and can really only hurt you. I think its pretty negligible, and I would probably send a follow up in your case. I found in a few instances based on my experience that I was basically dinged and the firm was not going to let me know, but only after I sent a follow up email did I receive a ding that same day. Just my anecdote, so take it for what its worth.
That's insane. I always sent thank you emails - and in the future, when/if I interview people, I'll keep track of who sends them or not

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:03 pm

victortsoi wrote:
ezjojo30 wrote:A lot of people here will tell you that thank you emails don't do much to help, and can really only hurt you. I think its pretty negligible, and I would probably send a follow up in your case. I found in a few instances based on my experience that I was basically dinged and the firm was not going to let me know, but only after I sent a follow up email did I receive a ding that same day. Just my anecdote, so take it for what its worth.
That's insane. I always sent thank you emails - and in the future, when/if I interview people, I'll keep track of who sends them or not

What market? B/c some seem to care more than others. The spectrum being Deep South to major market

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:41 am

I never sent thank-you emails, and did well (as did many, many others who never sent them). I noticed that they are far more prevalent in public-sector hiring. I agree with the above poster that it's too late to send one, but that you should follow up in a few days.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:45 pm

barkschool wrote:
victortsoi wrote:

What market? B/c some seem to care more than others. The spectrum being Deep South to major market
nyc

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:08 pm

I'd definitely follow up because at a small firm, especially if there is no office manager or designated recruiting person, there is a decent chance people just aren't thinking about the people they interviewed (whether they have good or bad news). Even though this is probably one of the more important things you have going on right now its probably not that high on their list of things to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”