1LSA - Biglaw 1L Holiday Receptions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
whosinthehousejc

Bronze

1LSA - Biglaw 1L Holiday Receptions

Post by whosinthehousejc » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:47 pm

I'm a YHS 1L. I have invitations to 1L holiday receptions at the two (rival) firms I'd most like to work for this summer. Phone interview scheduled with one (haven't RSVP'd to their reception), callback at the other (RSVP'd to reception). The problem is, they're at the same time (though just a few minutes walking distance from one another).

How do I maximize my 1LSA chances? Attend both by leaving one early to get to the other late? Or should I just pick the one where I'm already at callback stage?

Any other general tips?

wwwcol

Bronze

Re: 1LSA - Biglaw 1L Holiday Receptions

Post by wwwcol » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:59 pm

any other general tips
Don't go to either

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:01 pm

wwwcol wrote:
any other general tips
Don't go to either
Care to elaborate?

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:03 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
any other general tips
Don't go to either
Care to elaborate?
These are courtesy invitations. Nobody wants (nor expects) you to go. If you do go it'll be awkward BC nobody will want to interact with you (and you won't know anybody). Not much more to elaborate on

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:17 pm

wwwcol wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
any other general tips
Don't go to either
Care to elaborate?
These are courtesy invitations. Nobody wants (nor expects) you to go. If you do go it'll be awkward BC nobody will want to interact with you (and you won't know anybody). Not much more to elaborate on
OP, don't listen to this. I am guessing this is in a secondary market? I am an associate in Texas, and went to these before I received my 1L SA offers. Do you have a feeling yet of which you would prefer? It might not be a bad idea to go to the one with the phone interview so they can meet you in person since you will already be in person at your call back. Definitely go though, it can only help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
any other general tips
Don't go to either
Care to elaborate?
OP, don't listen to this. I am guessing this is in a secondary market? I am an associate in Texas, and went to these before I received my 1L SA offers. Do you have a feeling yet of which you would prefer? It might not be a bad idea to go to the one with the phone interview so they can meet you in person since you will already be in person at your call back. Definitely go though, it can only help.
I agree that if you feel you can only devote time to one, go to the phone interview one. May be helpful during the interview to answer something with "Oh yes, I chatted with ~insert associate name here~ about that at your holiday reception, and etc. etc.". Face time is key for 1L, because there are few spots and loads of applicants.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:36 pm

wwwcol wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
any other general tips
Don't go to either
Care to elaborate?
You are confusing "firm holiday party" with 1L mixers

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
any other general tips
Don't go to either
Care to elaborate?
Exactly. So I'm sold on going--to both if possible. But since I don't have experience with this type of event, my big question is whether it'll be painfully obvious that I'm on two dates in one night if I duck out early/arrive late. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:32 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
any other general tips
Don't go to either
Care to elaborate?
Exactly. So I'm sold on going--to both if possible. But since I don't have experience with this type of event, my big question is whether it'll be painfully obvious that I'm on two dates in one night if I duck out early/arrive late. Thoughts?
It could be, and with these things you never know when you can sneak out. If you are really hitting it off with someone - especially a partner - you don't want to feel pressured to leave. Also, it was too long ago to remember, but I imagine people coming and going is pretty common. The only risk is, if you rsvp and don't show (name tag left sitting on the table), that could be a negative on your chances. I would probably only do one, but that is just me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:38 pm

My firm is doing this - is this in Miami?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:59 pm

It depends on your personality. Some people are good at these things, and some aren't. The truth is if you could go to a cocktail party and form a connection with one or two people out of 10 and not offend anyone then it's probably better to go.

I am working in one of these places, and was very disappointed I had to miss the holiday party because of work. The more you get to know people, the easier it is to work with them and get work from them so that you're shielded from the hellish stuff. As a student, if one or two people put in a good word for you that's all you need with the credentials you have.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:07 am

whosinthehousejc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
any other general tips
Don't go to either
Care to elaborate?
Who do you think takes notes at these things, the recruiting staff?

I always thought these 1L or 2L holiday invites were just a show of general good faith, not an actual invitation.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:56 am

barkschool wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
any other general tips
Don't go to either
Care to elaborate?
Who do you think takes notes at these things, the recruiting staff?

I always thought these 1L or 2L holiday invites were just a show of general good faith, not an actual invitation.
Recruiters at the firm I summered at absolutely pay attention to who showed up and picked up their name tags at these types of receptions. I get the sense that they do everywhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:18 am

I did it and had got positive responses from all of the firms when I applied for 2L summer. Can't be 100% certain it's related, but I'd recommend going. And my experience may be colored because the firms in my city purposely set it up so that we would leave one firm early to go to the next in a string of 1L receptions, but I wouldn't feel weird or worried about leaving early to go to another, either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:08 am

If it's Texas, I'm pretty sure they do this on purpose.

I did this 1L, ducked out of one roughly half the way through to walk 2 blocks to the next one. One was Fulbright, not so sure about the other one, either V&E or Akin Gump.

I thought it worked out OK, but i do think it could have hurt me at the first firm of the two, or maybe even both. Also, I would say about 10% of the people there did it too, and it was definitely noticed by the staff.

OTOH, my boy had the same invites, but chose one for the whole time, and ended up summering there and now works there post-grad. So there's that.

It is VERY likely a recruiter will see you sneaking off, at which point you'll either need to tell the truth, or bumble with some stupid lie about why you're leaving so early and didn't you meet Mr. Jones yet!? At some of these events, the recruiters are literally sitting there at the door passing out and collecting name tags.

I'd probably pick my favorite firm of the two. Ask around for the personalities, b/c firms are not interchangeable, as much as they must seem so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:If it's Texas, I'm pretty sure they do this on purpose.

I did this 1L, ducked out of one roughly half the way through to walk 2 blocks to the next one. One was Fulbright, not so sure about the other one, either V&E or Akin Gump.

I thought it worked out OK, but i do think it could have hurt me at the first firm of the two, or maybe even both. Also, I would say about 10% of the people there did it too, and it was definitely noticed by the staff.

OTOH, my boy had the same invites, but chose one for the whole time, and ended up summering there and now works there post-grad. So there's that.

It is VERY likely a recruiter will see you sneaking off, at which point you'll either need to tell the truth, or bumble with some stupid lie about why you're leaving so early and didn't you meet Mr. Jones yet!? At some of these events, the recruiters are literally sitting there at the door passing out and collecting name tags.

I'd probably pick my favorite firm of the two. Ask around for the personalities, b/c firms are not interchangeable, as much as they must seem so.
I summered at a couple Texas firms 1L and 2L and this is actually a really good point. I would pick one and go to it, now that I think about it. The recruiters do literally sit at the door handing out name tags, etc. and almost certainly take notes. I would not worry about it too much, though. If you tell what city, maybe people on here can give you an idea about the firm cultures, which is the better firm in that city, etc.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If it's Texas, I'm pretty sure they do this on purpose.

I summered at a couple Texas firms 1L and 2L and this is actually a really good point. I would pick one and go to it, now that I think about it. The recruiters do literally sit at the door handing out name tags, etc. and almost certainly take notes. I would not worry about it too much, though. If you tell what city, maybe people on here can give you an idea about the firm cultures, which is the better firm in that city, etc.
Also, important, if you do leave, DO NOT make a big deal out of it, or apologize 1000 times. It will come off as insincere and you'll draw way more attention to it than it otherwise would have had.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Assuming this is big law, no one will notice if you leave unless you make a big deal about leaving/say bye to people. When you need to go, excuse yourself from whatever group you're in and go the the restroom. Come out of the restroom on your phone and walk outside. If anyone happens to notice you, they'll assume you're stepping outside to make a call.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”