Offer Letter makes Associate Position Coningent on Academic Peformance Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer Letter makes Associate Position Coningent on Academic Peformance

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Offer Letter wrote:The firm extends this offer with the on the condition that that you meet the following criteria before you begin full-time employment as an associate:

1. Continue to maintain a strong academic performance consistent with the firm's standards of excellence.
2. Provide a complete transcript confirming graduation.
I was below median when they offered me an SA during 2L, and I dropped a little lower after 2L grades. They saw a transcript showing 2L grades at the end of the SA. Got an offer to return as an associate anyway.

3L grades could drop me even further down because I'm two weeks out from exams and haven't cracked a book once all semester. Is this just form language or do people get rescinded offers for this? Anybody self-inflict a similar drop and end up fine?

Oh, and please don't quote. That's actually the language from the letter.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Offer Letter makes Associate Position Coningent on Academic Peformance

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm

This is boilerplate language that generally doesn't mean much.

As a 3L with an offer, it would be exceptional for them to rescind it based on your grades. The bigger (and non-trivial) concern is when you're looking for the next job within a few years of graduating, people will still want to see your transcript.

Advice: go study, you have plenty of time. Also, don't post the language if you don't want it quoted....

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Not the OP but just wondering if anyone has any anecdotal experience for how bad you have to fuck up 2L to get no offered at your SA if it's usually a 100% offer firm?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:12 pm

I've never seen language like this myself but I understand it is relatively common. Seems like it just gives the firm wiggle room if they want to not take you on.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:17 pm

whats an updog wrote:Not the OP but just wondering if anyone has any anecdotal experience for how bad you have to fuck up 2L to get no offered at your SA if it's usually a 100% offer firm?
Depends on the firm. Most (according to TLS) do not care about grades. I summered at a firm that most definitely no offers if your GPA falls. V50 ish. So it just depends.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”