Cover Letter question re: prior work experience Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cover Letter question re: prior work experience

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey everyone,

1L here taking a quick break from outlining. I'm sending out a few apps tomorrow for 1L summer positions (a long shot, I know). I already have everything pretty much ready to go, but I have a thought that I've been mulling over a bit. In the generic/body portion of my cover letter, I've written the standard [this is what I have to offer]/[here is my relevant work experience] blurb.

However, a large part of my work experience prior to law school was at my family's business. The family business is in the same secondary market as the firms I am targetting. The business is large/well-known enough that it is fairly possible that members of the firms I'm applying to are familiar with it to some extent. I haven't identified the fact that this business is my family's anywhere on the cover letter, but I'm wondering if I should for the sake of disclosure? I'm not sure if there is a standard etiquette or rule for this type of situation. I don't want for it to come up later in the process and seem as if I were trying to hide it. But on the other hand, I'm wondering if it may be something that would be better to disclose in person. Any thoughts?

Return to “Legal Employment”