1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How poor will you be this summer?

Real poor, my school's summer funding is all I got and it blows
8
13%
Pretty poor, my school's summer funding is all I got and it's meh
14
23%
Rich enough, got myself outside funding to supplement school money
1
2%
Rich enough, thank you sugar daddy/sugar momma
4
7%
Rich enough, since I'm delivering pizza's full time this summer
2
3%
Rich enough, will be selling ass/drugs/... on the side
1
2%
I'm rich bitch, living off my parents money like The Donald
5
8%
I'm rich bitch, sugar daddy/sugar momma makes big $$$
2
3%
I'm rich bitch, I got myself a swanky-ass SA
20
33%
I'm loved by someone/something and that is all I need to feel rich
3
5%
 
Total votes: 60

Hikikomorist

Platinum
Posts: 7788
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby Hikikomorist » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:50 am

Can people share generally about UT GPAs with 1L SAs?

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:55 am

Hikikomorist wrote:Can people share generally about UT GPAs with 1L SAs?

Generally speaking, my year it seemed to be 3.7ish+ and often other factors working in people's favor.

If you're kind of a generic candidate it seems like your grades need to be quite good but I'm sure there are exceptions.

User avatar
ellewoods817

Bronze
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby ellewoods817 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:03 am

Hikikomorist wrote:Can people share generally about UT GPAs with 1L SAs?


UT culture generally discourages a lot of sharing about GPAs, so I don't know much about the overall GPA/SA scheme. From my anecdotal evidence I don't see much of a trend, a lot has to do with networking and your personality. I know people in the top 10% who struck out on SAs and people barely above median that got SAs. I would agree that people with 3.7+ got more interviews/callbacks and eventually offers. But if you do some killer networking first semester, anything can happen.

kprempeh89

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:19 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby kprempeh89 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:10 pm

I know this has probably been asked a million times but I can not seem to find the answer so I'll just ask:

1. How important is it to have a 1L summer job on your resume? I didn't get any paid 1L fellowships so my job will probably be unpaid and not something I want to do for my career. So I am considering either just taking classes here at my school for the whole or part of the summer, doing a Howard Law (I do not got to Howard btw) summer study abroad in South Africa for 5 weeks and then working a legal job or regular job before my 2L year or just working whatever job my summer.


Thanks!

cannibal ox

Gold
Posts: 4075
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:26 pm

kprempeh89 wrote:I know this has probably been asked a million times but I can not seem to find the answer so I'll just ask:

1. How important is it to have a 1L summer job on your resume? I didn't get any paid 1L fellowships so my job will probably be unpaid and not something I want to do for my career. So I am considering either just taking classes here at my school for the whole or part of the summer, doing a Howard Law (I do not got to Howard btw) summer study abroad in South Africa for 5 weeks and then working a legal job or regular job before my 2L year or just working whatever job my summer.


Thanks!


Not important at all.

Don't take classes the whole summer. Have some sort of legal job (literally anything legal) so that you can tell interviewers about your experience and what you learned.

kprempeh89

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:19 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby kprempeh89 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:55 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
kprempeh89 wrote:I know this has probably been asked a million times but I can not seem to find the answer so I'll just ask:

1. How important is it to have a 1L summer job on your resume? I didn't get any paid 1L fellowships so my job will probably be unpaid and not something I want to do for my career. So I am considering either just taking classes here at my school for the whole or part of the summer, doing a Howard Law (I do not got to Howard btw) summer study abroad in South Africa for 5 weeks and then working a legal job or regular job before my 2L year or just working whatever job my summer.


Thanks!


Not important at all.

Don't take classes the whole summer. Have some sort of legal job (literally anything legal) so that you can tell interviewers about your experience and what you learned.


Thanks. So even if its for like 3 weeks or a month that is good?

cannibal ox

Gold
Posts: 4075
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:58 pm

kprempeh89 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
kprempeh89 wrote:I know this has probably been asked a million times but I can not seem to find the answer so I'll just ask:

1. How important is it to have a 1L summer job on your resume? I didn't get any paid 1L fellowships so my job will probably be unpaid and not something I want to do for my career. So I am considering either just taking classes here at my school for the whole or part of the summer, doing a Howard Law (I do not got to Howard btw) summer study abroad in South Africa for 5 weeks and then working a legal job or regular job before my 2L year or just working whatever job my summer.


Thanks!


Not important at all.

Don't take classes the whole summer. Have some sort of legal job (literally anything legal) so that you can tell interviewers about your experience and what you learned.


Thanks. So even if its for like 3 weeks or a month that is good?


I can only speak to my personal experience, but I had 2 summer jobs for 1L summer and was never asked how long each one was, or if either was full-time. You can always put "Summer 2016" for the date and explain if you're asked specifically.

kprempeh89

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:19 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby kprempeh89 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:56 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
kprempeh89 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
kprempeh89 wrote:I know this has probably been asked a million times but I can not seem to find the answer so I'll just ask:

1. How important is it to have a 1L summer job on your resume? I didn't get any paid 1L fellowships so my job will probably be unpaid and not something I want to do for my career. So I am considering either just taking classes here at my school for the whole or part of the summer, doing a Howard Law (I do not got to Howard btw) summer study abroad in South Africa for 5 weeks and then working a legal job or regular job before my 2L year or just working whatever job my summer.


Thanks!


Not important at all.

Don't take classes the whole summer. Have some sort of legal job (literally anything legal) so that you can tell interviewers about your experience and what you learned.


Thanks. So even if its for like 3 weeks or a month that is good?


I can only speak to my personal experience, but I had 2 summer jobs for 1L summer and was never asked how long each one was, or if either was full-time. You can always put "Summer 2016" for the date and explain if you're asked specifically.


if you do not mind me asking, what kind of jobs did you have? and how much were you paid? thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 309416
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:35 am

How's everyone's summer jobs going? I started my COA judicial internship this week and feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose

Anonymous User
Posts: 309416
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Did anyone have a Latham Diversity 1L SA interview in DC? Anyone have any tips?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309416
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone have a Latham Diversity 1L SA interview in DC? Anyone have any tips?


did you get a callback? timing/grades/school?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309416
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:39 am

Besides being a C/O 2018 thread, I've applied to most DC 1L SA diversity positions, and it's been a bloodbath.

Lower T14, grades came in the last weekish, median, one phone screener and ding.

Anecdotes prolly don't mean much here though, since 1L in DC is fighting an uphill battle.

User avatar
Glasseyes

Silver
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby Glasseyes » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Besides being a C/O 2018 thread, I've applied to most DC 1L SA diversity positions, and it's been a bloodbath.

Lower T14, grades came in the last weekish, median, one phone screener and ding.

Anecdotes prolly don't mean much here though, since 1L in DC is fighting an uphill battle.


"Bloodbath"

Competing for 1L SA's isn't a gladiatorial fight to the finish; it's playing the lottery. Hardly anyone wins. With median grades it's like pretending to play the lottery without buying a ticket.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309416
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:35 am

Glasseyes wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Besides being a C/O 2018 thread, I've applied to most DC 1L SA diversity positions, and it's been a bloodbath.

Lower T14, grades came in the last weekish, median, one phone screener and ding.

Anecdotes prolly don't mean much here though, since 1L in DC is fighting an uphill battle.


"Bloodbath"

Competing for 1L SA's isn't a gladiatorial fight to the finish; it's playing the lottery. Hardly anyone wins. With median grades it's like pretending to play the lottery without buying a ticket.


Fair enough to use whatever analogy works for you. I meant my bout through D.C. 1L SAs has been a bloodbath though. Hence the whole anecdote thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309416
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fish & Richardson diversity fellowship ding yesterday. HYS unranked.

did you get CB before the ding?



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.