I've been at a job for 2 months, am I crazy to apply to others? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I've been at a job for 2 months, am I crazy to apply to others?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:21 pm

c/o 2015 and passed the bar. I'm not unhappy at my current legal job (it's not biglaw, but a PI/in-house/government type thing), I just can't help but log-in to my schools Symplicity and be tempted by things I see (clerkships, entry-level law firm jobs in practice areas I'd be extremely interested in, etc.) and want to apply to them. I guess it doesn't matter at all if I get rejected because I have a job, but would I just be completely wasting my time even writing up a cover letter for something? I guess it's FOMO, you know?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: I've been at a job for 2 months, am I crazy to apply to others?

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:33 pm

I guess it depends what you mean by 'not unhappy' with your current job. If these other jobs are where you really want to be, then it doesn't hurt to apply unless you are loudly announcing to your current employers that you are looking. You'll probably have better luck in the job hunt if you put in some more time with your current gig though.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:36 pm

Be careful what you wish for. There are probably a lot of folks in the places you're looking at that would kill to have your gig.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:55 am

I switched jobs about 5 months in. The partner at my first job, when I asked him about how it would look to him if he were looking to hire me, said there are two things if you switch really early on. One, make sure there's a good reason for it - an obvious promotion, better job, whatever, just make sure it's easily identifiable that you didn't just change job for giggles. Second, he said to make damn sure to stay at the new job for a while so you don't look like you jump ship a lot.

DrRighteous

Gold

Post by DrRighteous » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:04 am

Agree with kalvano. The number I have heard is 18 months. I was told that 18 months is the amount of time someone can be in an organization before mistakes catch up to them. You are probably OK with one short stretch in a job but if you make it a regular thing it will look bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”