Using offer as leverage? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Using offer as leverage?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:33 pm

I was offered a one-year fellowship at a nonprofit that specializes in impact litigation. Due to the leanly staffed nature of the office, fellows are given hands-on experience almost immediately, which includes taking depositions, participating in negotiations, and motions practice. It is also one of the most well-known nonprofits in the country. Majority of litigation takes place in Article III district courts or the D.C. Circuit.

However, the stipend is only $30k, and it's located in Washington, DC. As many of you know, DC rent does not take kindly to such low pay, though I know I can make it work. Deadline to accept the offer is Dec. 21st.

I have had a couple of final round interviews as part of various agency honors programs and will hear back from them before the deadline.

I was wondering if it would be beneficial to contact the employers I would prefer to work at and let them know about my offer and the deadline, or should I just wait it out?

Similarly, there are a couple of other places I'd prefer to work at but I won't hear back from them until after the deadline. How damaging would it be, if I was offered there, to rescind my offer at the non-profit?

Return to “Legal Employment”