Resume ? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Gold

Resume ?

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:07 am

Hi,

I was wondering what' s your take on putting non-legal work experience on your resume. I was recently selected as a Board Member of an arts non-profit that celebrates indigenous Mexican culture. They don't really do legal work. My responsibilities include attending Board Meetings, strategic planning, fundraising, and grant writing. Are these transferrable skills in a legal context? Would it help if I am interested in PD/Legal Aid/small firms doing immigration, family, and disability law? Or should I save space for more overtly legal stuff?

Currently in the Vale (working PT, seeking FTLT legal position).

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: Resume ?

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:09 am

I would put it on for sure

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:10 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I would put it on for sure
Thanks. Should I include it under "EMPLOYMENT" or "LANGUAGES, PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND INTERESTS"?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:51 am

The latter.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:13 pm

also don't scream on your resume

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:36 pm

BlueLotus wrote: Or should I save space for more overtly legal stuff?
This stuck out to me a little bit. Giving a full picture on your resume is more important than worrying about space requirements. Your non-profit experience certainly seems noteworthy considering what you're planning on doing, so it's more important that it's on your resume as compared to your resume being a certain size.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Make sure to use the paragraph style instead of the bullet point style if you're running out of space.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:56 pm

What are the "overtly legal" things this would replace? Are these legal internships? Part-time law clerk during law school? Research assistant? Student group membership? I would be careful taking something relevant off to include this position which is sounds irrelevant to an entry level legal job. Also if this is anything like the non-profit boards that people I've known are on, it means a monthly meeting and some very minor amount of outside work. That said, it seems like something that could easily be fit into one or two lines though, so maybe you don't need to cut anything for it. I could see it being useful for a public interest position to demonstrate a commitment to service.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”