Side Hustle Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Side Hustle

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Are there any biglaw attorneys out there that have a side gig to make some extra cash here and there? I live in the Bay Area and it's a well known fact that the cost of living is ridiculous and unaffordable (even on a big law salary). So I'm curious to know if anyone has a business on a side or invests in certain areas to make extra cash.

fats provolone

Platinum

Re: Side Hustle

Post by fats provolone » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:47 pm

No

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:42 am

You're not doing things right if you can't live in the Bay Area on 160k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:47 am

"living" is not the issue. Being able to save up for a home, an unforeseen circumstance or a decent vacation is the difficult part. Especially when you have to pay an enormous amount in loans every month. I'm from the Bay Area born and raised, I know plenty about what it takes to survive out here.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:54 am

What could you even do? Uber?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:"living" is not the issue. Being able to save up for a home, an unforeseen circumstance or a decent vacation is the difficult part. Especially when you have to pay an enormous amount in loans every month. I'm from the Bay Area born and raised, I know plenty about what it takes to survive out here.
This is basically why I moved from SF to LA. That and to be closer to family, and because both my husband and I like it better down here. But mostly the money, since we both had jobs we liked in the bay area.

instride91

Bronze

Post by instride91 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"living" is not the issue. Being able to save up for a home, an unforeseen circumstance or a decent vacation is the difficult part. Especially when you have to pay an enormous amount in loans every month. I'm from the Bay Area born and raised, I know plenty about what it takes to survive out here.
This is basically why I moved from SF to LA. That and to be closer to family, and because both my husband and I like it better down here. But mostly the money, since we both had jobs we liked in the bay area.
I'm also from the Bay (hence the picture) and moved to LA. OP, I've heard that many Bay Area biglaw associates have roommates. Other than that, I don't have any ideas for a business and most reliable investments won't get you the quick cash you're looking for. Minimize costs now as best you can and plan for the future.

SF to $190k

instride91

Bronze

Post by instride91 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:57 am

Here's an idea, and I have no idea how to do it, but maybe try and become an adjunct professor. That's the best I've got.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:02 am

instride91 wrote:Here's an idea, and I have no idea how to do it, but maybe try and become an adjunct professor. That's the best I've got.
Pretty sure adjucting pays like minimum wage

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:07 am

Also bay area raised and lived SF on biglaw salary. How about just getting a typical 2 bed in Soma or whatever for $5kish, sleep in the smaller bedroom, rent the larger bedroom to someone for $2k ish, if you have one rent the large walk in closet to someone for $1k ish, and put up a partition in the living room and rent each half of that for $2k ish? That way you're completely clearing rent and can sock away some of that biglaw money to maybe one day afford the down payment on this beautiful SF property:
(literally not a joke) http://www.vice.com/read/the-cheapest-h ... r-350k-511

Or just fucking leave cus fuck making almost $200k and living like a fucking college freshman eating ramen

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:11 am

jfc just gas the whole bay area

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:20 am

Serious answer. Commute.

I work in MFH and I am saving for a lot. I considered, for a second, Ubering. Then I realized that if I increased my commute by 30 mins (to an hour each way) I would be "working" an extra hour a day, but between rent, tax, restaurants, parking, gas (uniquely for mfh, I'd need a car either way), groceries, clothes, etc. I have another $4000 a month. Accounting for the fact that savings aren't taxed (i.e. At our tax bracket $4000 in savings=$6000 in wages), that's more than I could hope to make elsewhere

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:41 am

SemperLegal wrote:Serious answer. Commute.

I work in MFH and I am saving for a lot. I considered, for a second, Ubering. Then I realized that if I increased my commute by 30 mins (to an hour each way) I would be "working" an extra hour a day, but between rent, tax, restaurants, parking, gas (uniquely for mfh, I'd need a car either way), groceries, clothes, etc. I have another $4000 a month. Accounting for the fact that savings aren't taxed (i.e. At our tax bracket $4000 in savings=$6000 in wages), that's more than I could hope to make elsewhere
This. Also buy a house when you can rather than renting. We're about an hour outside DC but we pay less on my mortgage for a full house per month than we did on renting (~3/4 the cost). Renting is a sucker's game.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:55 am

I knew of a BigLaw lawyer who did uber on the side. But they once confessed to me while drunk that it was easier to meet people that way, and it wasn't about the money.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:29 am

that is the saddest thing

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:33 am

I'm getting into real estae. Plan on buying a duplex and renting out the other side so I can essentially have my mortgage payment paid for. Intend to keep buying investment properties. I am in a low CoL area though, so I don't know if this helps you at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:07 am

HAve you heard of elance? I once hired a lawyer to do some contract work for me over elance. His fulltime gig was a big law associate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:17 am

I'd be interested to hear of someone's experience using elance or other similar freelance services.

I'm a first year biglaw associate and have been thinking about the side hustle. Every month, 1 out of 2 paychecks goes straight to loans + rent.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:18 am

If you have anything of value outside of law, whether it be a website or book, etc., it may be worth it to just sell it now because you don't have time to improve upon it or negotiate.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:51 am

Anything with rigid hours isn't going to work. You could do Uber but you'd probably be better off just not having a car in the first place. Frankly the idea of having a side gig in biglaw seems insane to me. If you can find a passive income source then more power to you, but if anyone on here has a reliable and lucrative idea they're sure as hell not gonna share it.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:06 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Anything with rigid hours isn't going to work. You could do Uber but you'd probably be better off just not having a car in the first place. Frankly the idea of having a side gig in biglaw seems insane to me. If you can find a passive income source then more power to you, but if anyone on here has a reliable and lucrative idea they're sure as hell not gonna share it.
Plus I'm sure no firm would be happy having their attorneys driving for Uber. We're in a profession where working in document review or for a solo gets you blacklisted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Uber pay is extremely terrible. Like, if you work 60 hours a week, maybe you'll make 20-30k/year or so net cost in low COL areas. Maybe higher in SF/NYC but it can't be by much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:52 pm

tutor LSATs or SATs. flexible hours and you can get paid up to 100/hr during your lunch break.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:09 pm

sinfiery wrote:Uber pay is extremely terrible. Like, if you work 60 hours a week, maybe you'll make 20-30k/year or so net cost in low COL areas. Maybe higher in SF/NYC but it can't be by much.
Most of the people have side jobs. By virtue of its setup, Uber attracts more go getters than your run-of-the-mill taxi stand. Quite a few Uber drivers work in sales, and Uber is really just a 30k/year supplement while they do sales over their bluetooth

FutureLitigator

New

Post by FutureLitigator » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:39 pm

Last edited by FutureLitigator on Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”