Got fired in the first 2 weeks. HELP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Got fired in the first 2 weeks. HELP

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Hello Friends,

I need some life advice and no judgements please. Took the NY Bar and failed July (wasn't shocked because i was going through health issues).

Took a job at a manhattan firm as a paralegal (needed the money and thought there could have been room for growth to attorney) plus i spoke the language they needed well

Two weeks later, i am still training, struggling but getting what the job requires, a lot of paper work, client intakes and interaction...easy breezy but nothing legal related.

Get called into office and am fired... no reason given except "you have a JD, go take the bar in a few months" i asked did i do anything wrong? he said no.. but i don't want to give any other reasons

Been depressed about it, needed the job and thought i would take the bar in July of 2016

... my guess is JDs don't even get hired as paralegals, what should i do until I take the July 16' bar? my health will prevent me from taking feb 2016 bar.

I am looking into interning and doing something temp like K review or PT in the meantime...

This has been beyond defeating, i have never been fired before...i feel a bit pissed if there really isn't a good reason to fire me, why hire a JD?

any tips?

Thank u for ur help, i have spent the last 2 days crying...

Anonymous User

Re: Got fired in the first 2 weeks. HELP

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:57 pm

what does that mean your health will prevent you from taking the february bar? and also was that why you were fired? plenty of places hire JDs as paralegals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:57 pm

what does that mean your health will prevent you from taking the february bar? and also was that why you were fired? plenty of places hire JDs as paralegal------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a second operation scheduled for the week of the feb bar that i can't move, even I'm not sure of the reason I asked and all he said i don't want to train someone for 3 months who will be eventually retaking the bar, i was entry level

Eariler in the week, my supervisor did tell me i need to work faster so i stepped up my game but i was still in training mode waiting on my own client list, so its not like i majorly F-ed up to get fired

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:10 pm

dang i don't get why they hired you in the first place if that's their sentiment.
i think you need to move your operation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:18 pm

It could be the employer is trying to do you a favor, and realized working f/t while studying wasn't working for you. S/he might also have realized the pass rate for retakers is no so not studying f/t is against your best interests. I really wouldn't read into how being fired looks in this situation or as a reflection on yourself. It doesn't sound like it was a large firm or anything about more than one person's call. The truth is you wouldn't want to put this on your resume regardless, and are probably best served just letting it go. At this point, you need to pass the bar, plain and simple. You wouldn't want this job on your resume even if your employer loved you.

If you're curious as to why you get canned, and don't think it's because you have a jd - if you expressed concern, even if asked, that your tasks weren't legal related and voiced this to anybody then it's highly possible that's why you get canned. I don't necessarily think it's fair, but you have to always pretend to be content with where you're at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: Got fired in the first 2 weeks. HELP

what does that mean your health will prevent you from taking the february bar? and also was that why you were fired? plenty of places hire JDs as paralegal------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a second operation scheduled for the week of the feb bar that i can't move, even I'm not sure of the reason I asked and all he said i don't want to train someone for 3 months who will be eventually retaking the bar, i was entry level

Eariler in the week, my supervisor did tell me i need to work faster so i stepped up my game but i was still in training mode waiting on my own client list, so its not like i majorly F-ed up to get fired
If you want to be a lawyer you should make passing the bar more of a priority. Of course your health is important, but there's no way you couldn't reschedule the surgery if it was important enough to you. I suspect this cavalier approach to your career contributed to the termination.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:23 pm

ClubberLang wrote:If you want to be a lawyer you should make passing the bar more of a priority. Of course your health is important, but there's no way you couldn't reschedule the surgery if it was important enough to you. I suspect this cavalier approach to your career contributed to the termination.
This seems a little judgy. You don't actually know whether the OP can reschedule their operation, and prioritizing health over the bar exam isn't exactly cavalier.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:If you want to be a lawyer you should make passing the bar more of a priority. Of course your health is important, but there's no way you couldn't reschedule the surgery if it was important enough to you. I suspect this cavalier approach to your career contributed to the termination.
This seems a little judgy. You don't actually know whether the OP can reschedule their operation, and prioritizing health over the bar exam isn't exactly cavalier.
Indeed, but do you think it is a good career move for OP to wait until next July? Sometimes you've just got to make it happen.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:31 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Indeed, but do you think it is a good career move for OP to wait until next July? Sometimes you've just got to make it happen.
Yes because (s)he's probably less likely to fail when NY goes to UBE.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:39 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I think it's probably a good career move for OP to be healthy.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:05 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I think it's probably a good career move for OP to be healthy.
You've done a real service here today. OP, listen to A. Nony and stay the course.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:39 am

I haven't done anything. I don't know whether the OP absolutely has to have that surgery in February, but neither do you.

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:47 am

That sounds like it's on the employer. They are a little amateur hour if they're firing for an entirely predictable reason 2 weeks after the hire. Sometimes employers are very disorganized, and the fault is on them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:49 am

ClubberLang wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
You can't have a career if you die.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:51 am

ClubberLang wrote:

If you want to be a lawyer you should make passing the bar more of a priority. Of course your health is important, but there's no way you couldn't reschedule the surgery if it was important enough to you. I suspect this cavalier approach to your career contributed to the termination.
Holy shit

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello Friends,

I need some life advice and no judgements please. Took the NY Bar and failed July (wasn't shocked because i was going through health issues).

Took a job at a manhattan firm as a paralegal (needed the money and thought there could have been room for growth to attorney) plus i spoke the language they needed well

Two weeks later, i am still training, struggling but getting what the job requires, a lot of paper work, client intakes and interaction...easy breezy but nothing legal related.

Get called into office and am fired... no reason given except "you have a JD, go take the bar in a few months" i asked did i do anything wrong? he said no.. but i don't want to give any other reasons

Been depressed about it, needed the job and thought i would take the bar in July of 2016

... my guess is JDs don't even get hired as paralegals, what should i do until I take the July 16' bar? my health will prevent me from taking feb 2016 bar.

I am looking into interning and doing something temp like K review or PT in the meantime...

This has been beyond defeating, i have never been fired before...i feel a bit pissed if there really isn't a good reason to fire me, why hire a JD?

any tips?

Volunteering for a judge or maybe the attorney general's office could provide you with really good experience sans the money. If you need the money, then keep looking for legal jobs. Something might eventually stick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:57 am

OP here...
Thank you everyone for the response, i will try not to beat myself over this

- yes i did voice my concern and did casually ask my supervisor if i can help him with any legal related work he has... maybe it looked like i thought the work was below me? who knows but I'm going to move past this... i wish i got a answer as to why i was being let go, something vague like "your not a good fit, u have a jd go take the bar again in a few months" is all i got

- i will be calling my doctor tomorrow and see if i can get it moved to this month, of course passing the bar is my number #1 priority... i had the surgery scheduled before i found out i failed and in my mind i thought after i found out i failed that let me work and save whatever money i can, get the surgery, recover and knock out July like a champ// i will try to see if it can be moved to now and go for feb

- please don't assume i am being casual about everything, if you or a loved one has to deal with health issues, it is almost like a pause button on ur life

thank you again for all the replies

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:03 am

ClubberLang wrote:

OP here,
granted i haven't given all of my details here but that is a awful thing to say to anyone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:07 am

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello Friends,

any tips?

Volunteering for a judge or maybe the attorney general's office could provide you with really good experience sans the money. If you need the money, then keep looking for legal jobs. Something might eventually stick.
Op here...
Thank you, i got into contact with an attorney who also teaches at a NY law school and will be emailing her to ask about opportunities and will be looking myself as well, just got let go on friday so I am over the shock and am hoping i can move my surgery to this month but i doubt it but i will be calling the doctor tmmr.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:17 am

ClubberLang wrote:
(boomer)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:19 am

Op here-

- I will try to move the surgery, it requires 7-10 days of hospital stay and then 3 weeks of active resting, nothing strenuous no heavy lifting

- It was scheduled around in October, before i found out i failed

- I can study full time now, hope I can move the operation sooner and continue studying while i recover but i have no idea what will happen until i go through it, don't know enough about the recovery pain yet...moving it isn't a issue but i have no idea how i will be in the weeks after it

- will be calling the doctor tmmr

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here...

- yes i did voice my concern and did casually ask my supervisor if i can help him with any legal related work he has... maybe it looked like i thought the work was below me? who knows but I'm going to move past this... i wish i got a answer as to why i was being let go, something vague like "your not a good fit, u have a jd go take the bar again in a few months" is all i got

- i will be calling my doctor tomorrow and see if i can get it moved to this month, of course passing the bar is my number #1 priority... i had the surgery scheduled before i found out i failed and in my mind i thought after i found out i failed that let me work and save whatever money i can, get the surgery, recover and knock out July like a champ// i will try to see if it can be moved to now and go for feb

- please don't assume i am being casual about everything, if you or a loved one has to deal with health issues, it is almost like a pause button on ur life

There's your answer, possibly. You wanted more legal related work. That wasn't the job. Lawyer figured it wasn't a good fit for them and figured it would be better for you to go somewhere you could get the legal work you desired.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:29 am

ClubberLang wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Just so there's no confusion here you're a psycho

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 am

lawman84 wrote:

There's your answer, possibly. You wanted more legal related work. That wasn't the job. Lawyer figured it wasn't a good fit for them and figured it would be better for you to go somewhere you could get the legal work you desired.
Definitely this. And he knew you'd leave as soon as you passed the bar anyway. Just not worth it for either party.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:48 am

SportsFan wrote:
lawman84 wrote:

Definitely this. And he knew you'd leave as soon as you passed the bar anyway. Just not worth it for either party.
I disagree. My paralegal does some light legal work. Sure, she's not young and doesn't have a JD, but no one is thinking she's trying to become a lawyer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”