Patent Litigation RIP (1789-2015) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SplitMyPants

Gold

Re: Patent Litigation RIP (1789-2015)

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.americanlawyer.com/home/id=1 ... curindex=0

Thoughts on whether Fish & Richardson is an exception to the rule, or whether Patent Litigation RIP is overblown?
For those without access through the pay-wall:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 3917,d.dmo

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:13 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Right now the big patent office firms undercut biglaw firms hard on price. I dunno how they do it.
Through a combination of lower profits and--based on what I've seen--less efficiency.
Does "less efficiency" mean that you think the big firms have more overhead/bureaucracy, or that the patent office firms are keeping rates lower by doing lower-quality work? Or something else?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:18 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Right now the big patent office firms undercut biglaw firms hard on price. I dunno how they do it.
Through a combination of lower profits and--based on what I've seen--less efficiency.
Does "less efficiency" mean that you think the big firms have more overhead/bureaucracy, or that the patent office firms are keeping rates lower by doing lower-quality work? Or something else?
I mean the patent office firms are less efficient--i.e., bill way more hours than it seems like they should for certain tasks. I'll see 20 hours billed for what looks like 2 hours of copying and pasting. I understand that cuts against conventional wisdom, but that's what I've observed. (This is very anecdotal, of course.)

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:21 pm

So the idea is that the patent office firms bait clients in with a lower hourly rate, and then run up the total by billing more hours?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:28 pm

kcdc1 wrote:So the idea is that the patent office firms bait clients in with a lower hourly rate, and then run up the total by billing more hours?
Yes. Again, based on my limited anecdotal observation, this is part of the explanation for how, as DF put it, big patent office firms undercut biglaw firms on price. (As I said earlier, I think another significant part of it is that those big patent office firms generally have lower profits than big law firms.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:50 pm

rpupkin wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:So the idea is that the patent office firms bait clients in with a lower hourly rate, and then run up the total by billing more hours?
Yes. Again, based on my limited anecdotal observation, this is part of the explanation for how, as DF put it, big patent office firms undercut biglaw firms on price. (As I said earlier, I think another significant part of it is that those big patent office firms generally have lower profits than big law firms.)
I think all sorts of variation occur on this. My anecdotal experience is based on experience at a big NY-based firm (really high billing rates) and a regional biglaw firm (moderately high billing rates). The clients I did work for at the NY-based firm appeared to have no concern for billing, and we spent tons and tons of time on IPR petitions, with the total budget for IPRs being in the low 7 figures. (You don't need to tell me how insane that is.) At my current, more regional firm our budgets are much more in-line with industry standard, we are expected to be cognizant and use judgment about how much time really needs to be spent on things, and clients do care about the bill. FWIW, my current firm has had a better success rate with IPRs, even with less time spent and less billed.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:57 pm

"Patent Filings Drop To 5-Year Low In 2016's First Quarter"
http://www.law360.com/articles/783336?sidebar=true

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:00 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:"Patent Filings Drop To 5-Year Low In 2016's First Quarter"
I wonder how much of this is related to the artificially high number of suits filed in Q4 last year due to change in rules.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:45 pm

I have on good information that the patent litigation bill is dead this year, and unless the Dem's take the senate probably for the next two also.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 pm

The ship be sinking!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have on good information that the patent litigation bill is dead this year, and unless the Dem's take the senate probably for the next two also.
I thought it was Republicans who were pushing for the patent litigation bill. At least that seemed to be the case when I last paid attention a year or so ago. It was Democrats who were holding it up.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Big pharma is allied with team lawyer on this one. Additionally, with Alice and the roll-out of IPR's/CBM's in the last few years, it makes a lot more sense to wait and see if those reforms are enough. I'd be pretty shocked if any reform bills made it through in the next couple years.

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:21 pm

skri65 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:"Patent Filings Drop To 5-Year Low In 2016's First Quarter"
I wonder how much of this is related to the artificially high number of suits filed in Q4 last year due to change in rules.
Pretty sure this explains most of it. November 2015 was a record month for filings. November 30 alone had 200+ filings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:55 pm

i'm really going to miss all those "any advice on how to break into patent lit? golly i don't know what it is about patent lit but i find it to be so darn interesting!" threads

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:59 pm

i'll be curious to see what forum shopping reform (either from scotus, congress, or both) as well as 101 clarity from congress might due to possibly further this trend...

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:29 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:i'll be curious to see what forum shopping reform (either from scotus, congress, or both) as well as 101 clarity from congress might due to possibly further this trend...
Delaware is going to get a lot busier. E.D. Texas will be fucked.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Post by patentlitigatrix » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:i'll be curious to see what forum shopping reform (either from scotus, congress, or both) as well as 101 clarity from congress might due to possibly further this trend...
I hope so. Anxiously awaiting TC Heartland. I have a motion to transfer pending in two cases in E.D. Tex. and trial is set far enough out that I am hoping for transfers out before the trials, including one that recently got continued. Whew.

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Yeah, since SCOTUS granted cert to TC Heartland v. Kraft, it's possible patent venue law will change drastically in the next year or two without Congress having to intervene. People who are able to continue to do patent litigation might not have to spend so much time in E.D. Texas any more.
patentlitagatrix wrote:I hope so. Anxiously awaiting TC Heartland. I have a motion to transfer pending in two cases in E.D. Tex. and trial is set far enough out that I am hoping for transfers out before the trials, including one that recently got continued. Whew.
I know attorneys for defendants in infringement suits who have taken the strategy of asking the opposing party to agree to go ahead and file in a forum that clearly satisfies venue. They ask that court to stay the case pending the outcome of TC Heartland, so there's a clear path to transfer the case if TC Heartland reverses The Fed. Cir. in VE Holdings.

Are you objecting to venue in your answers even though VE Holdings is still good law right now, in order to preserve the issue if SCOTUS reverses?
Last edited by ookoshi on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:51 pm

patentlitigatrix wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I hope so. Anxiously awaiting TC Heartland. I have a motion to transfer pending in two cases in E.D. Tex. and trial is set far enough out that I am hoping for transfers out before the trials, including one that recently got continued. Whew.
Did you preserve a Rule 12(b)(3) defense in your pleadings? If not I bet the E.D of Tex. will say people waived improper venue defenses.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Post by patentlitigatrix » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Did you preserve a Rule 12(b)(3) defense in your pleadings? If not I bet the E.D of Tex. will say people waived improper venue defenses.
Yup we did in both cases. And didn't assert any counterclaims.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”