Did I just blow my chances with a specific law firm for 3L mass mailing by going to office hours? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
smaug

Diamond

Re: Did I just blow my chances with a specific law firm for 3L mass mailing by going to office hours?

Post by smaug » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:06 pm

fats provolone wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I think I got the part about him lying about his dad April. But I don't understand the thing about emailing the partner and 20 different other people or whatever. Like, I seriously can't even follow what is happening. Maybe I'm just dense but I don't get it.

Can someone provide a tl;dr as to what is happening in this thread and what the hell the OP is even talking about?
my revised theory is that someone else came along and ran with the original anon's scenario and has got us all
this is like real life mafia
hahaha I had the same thought

I almost used WIFOM as an acronym earlier ITT and had to stop myself.

fats provolone

Platinum

Re: Did I just blow my chances with a specific law firm for 3L mass mailing by going to office hours?

Post by fats provolone » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Just as I'm sure fats provolone and all the other 4-digit post count posters in this thread shift into another gear IRL.
nah I'm pretty much the same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:12 pm

???
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edwardt1988

Bronze

Post by edwardt1988 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Even so, if someone in my class is actually reading this, it's important for them to know that how I responded to fats provolone is how I'd respond. So if they have any cute ideas, they had better be pretty damn sure who it is. And again, I have another mode/gear IRL, so my anonymous personality here doesn't correspond to IRL.

Just as I'm sure fats provolone and all the other 4-digit post count posters in this thread shift into another gear IRL.
Do you know how I know you're paranoid, "IRL"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:18 pm

???
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:19 pm

maybe he was just pretending to like you

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:21 pm

because it's like, part of his job

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:23 pm

the fact that universally every terrible poster says "oh i'm not like this at all IRL" makes me doubt that it's ever true. i might believe the opposite -- that someone who is actually really shitty IRL pretends to be cool online. but the reverse just doesn't make sense.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:24 pm

OP already said the prof likes him. Learn to read ppl.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Welcome to TLS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:27 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:maybe he was just pretending to like you
I'm going to recognize that I'm stooping to some of your levels of immaturity here, but:
Maybe?
Maybe there's life on Mars. Maybe your mom has always merely pretended to like you. It is sorta her role to pretend to like you. If you're going to speculate as to maybes, have something to back it up.
because it's like, part of his job
His job isn't to keep talking about things totally irrelevant to the class for 15mins after the "truth" that supposedly made him immediately dislike me. Because if that were true, he can say his job beckons so he'll have to cut the chitchat short.

Generally, if you don't like somebody, you try to talk to them as little as possible, right? But for some reason you just can't get enough of me.
the fact that universally every terrible poster says "oh i'm not like this at all IRL"
You must not have heard about internet tough guys, of whom you may be one. IRL, some of them wouldn't hurt a fly.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:31 pm

i'm a tough guy irl and have killed hundreds of flies

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:40 pm

fats provolone wrote:i'm a tough guy irl and have killed hundreds of flies
I think that's accurate if you replace "killed" with "trolled" and "flies" with "threads"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
(As an aside, how could I have gotten him to like me in the first place if I'm as socially unaware as how a bunch of anonymous online people characterize my anonymous online behavior? Obviously I must have another mode or gear IRL, right?)
You realize that professors are generally nice to students who show up in their office hours, right?

Edit: I see that you've already countered this with your usual insight. You're right, OP, and we're all wrong, and the prof was incredibly impressed by you, and wasn't engaging in the normal chitchat that a prof engages in with every single student who comes to see them, seeing that most people who sign up to adjunct like talking to students.

And really, people are pretty much the same wherever you encounter them. Sure, people usually know not to say in front of their grandmother what they say with their bros at the bar. It doesn't change their actual nature. Everyone's point is not that you're not capable of literally saying what you say it is you'd say, but that your thinking is so screwed up that can't be hidden IRL.

pleadthafif

Gold

Post by pleadthafif » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:44 pm

Prof probably knew it was a shitty lie the second OP told it and had a good laugh afterward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:03 pm

???
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apa80

New

Post by apa80 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:08 pm

Wait, you keep calling your sick-dad story the "second truth." Does that mean that you think "I am going to work for Firm X" was the "first truth"? How in the world have you spun that into a "truth" in your head? It is objectively not true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:10 pm

apa80 wrote:Wait, you keep calling your sick-dad story the "second truth." Does that mean that you think "I am going to work for Firm X" was the "first truth"? How in the world have you spun that into a "truth" in your head? It is objectively not true.
Truth, assertion, call it what you will. I refer to it as the "truth" I'd need to patch up with a second truth should the need arise.

apa80

New

Post by apa80 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
apa80 wrote:Wait, you keep calling your sick-dad story the "second truth." Does that mean that you think "I am going to work for Firm X" was the "first truth"? How in the world have you spun that into a "truth" in your head? It is objectively not true.
Truth, assertion, call it what you will. I refer to it as the "truth" I'd need to patch up with a second truth should the need arise.
My god, you are phenomenal

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Stop saying you're going to deliver "a truth" when you mean you're going to lie.

No one who is saying that your personality is defective has suggested that means that the partner would have noticed the lie immediately and abandoned ship as soon as possible (apart from pleadthafifth). Everyone is saying that your response to this situation is so weird and convoluted that you are inevitably going to get yourself in trouble sometime. The more you scheme about complicated ways to respond to this specific situation, the more quickly that day will come.

I don't actually think the partner will really remember this in the future. Pretend the conversation never happened, and apply like a normal human being would. If they actually remember and ask, say your plans changed and leave it at that.

The problem is that you seem to have this impulse to lie about anything that might ever possibly reflect poorly on you in any way, and also a really inflated sense of what might reflect badly on you. You also don't seem to think there's anything wrong with lying to cover up any tiny thing you may have screwed up somehow. Apart from the moral issues, the logistics of lying over stupid things you don't have to lie about are really dodgy. The more you lie, the more balls you have in the air, and the more likely they are to come crashing down. And you really will get disbarred if you can't get past this need to hide anything you think reflects badly on you - again, not because it's immoral, because it's unsustainable.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:14 pm

he's only a compulsive liar in the events from his life that he relates anonymously to strangers on a web forum, not in real life

DrRighteous

Gold

Post by DrRighteous » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Eh, I can fake being interested in what a student has to say/does for up to an hour. If someone I was faking liking lied during that conversation, I wouldn't waste any time thinking about it/what to do about it.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:19 pm

fats provolone wrote:he's only a compulsive liar in the events from his life that he relates anonymously to strangers on a web forum, not in real life
Except for that time he apparently acted like this in real life and posted a thread about it but I'm sure that was a one off thing.

Also I am genuinely amused that this guy will take any advice as long as it doesn't involve considering the possibility that reflexive dishonesty might eventually redound to his detriment

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”