Patent Bar for Patent Lit? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Take the Patent Bar?

Yes, it would be helpful
88%
No, it is not worth it
13%

Total votes: 16

Anonymous User

Patent Bar for Patent Lit?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:55 pm

I have a technical UG degree which makes me patent bar eligible. I hoped to go into patent law when I started law school and had always planned to take the patent bar. But a judicial internship during law school turned into a clerkship, which then got me in at a small firm. For the past year, I have been working as a litigation attorney in an area of law unrelated to patent law.

I have enjoyed litigation and I feel I would enjoy patent litigation more so than patent prosecution. Is it worth taking the Patent Bar now if my goal is to try to lateral into patent litigation?

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Re: Patent Bar for Patent Lit?

Post by Abbie Doobie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:23 pm

it will help in the sense that it 1) demonstrates you are doing more than just casting a bunch of lines out into the job market to see what you can catch, and 2) there are some firms that require their patent litigators to either be patent barred or become patent barred x months after joining the firm (mostly for IP-only firms). definitely beneficial if you are interested in doing ptab work.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:04 pm

Approximate quote from a biglaw partner who teaches my patent lit class: "we prefer litigators who are registered and have prosecution experience because they're generally more comfortable with the patent and they see things that other associates miss."

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:53 pm

On top of what's been said above, PTAB litigation requires a reg number.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:30 pm

kcdc1 wrote:On top of what's been said above, PTAB litigation requires a reg number.
pretty sure you can pro hoc in right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:On top of what's been said above, PTAB litigation requires a reg number.
You can, but if you want the work, it's better to be registered. Especially as a junior, there's really no reason not to get your reg number. It takes like a week of effort, and it meaningfully improves your career outlook.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:02 pm

OP here.

Sounds like the consensus is that it is worth it to take the Patent bar, even if one plans on tying to break into IP lit.

Which brings me to my second question: How long do you typically have to study for the Patent bar?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote: How long do you typically have to study for the Patent bar?
I've heard of people who study for a month and fail. I've heard of other people who don't study and pass. I haven't really heard of anybody studying more than a month. It's a "where's waldo" exam, so you just need to be familiar enough with the material to look up the exact answer.

/somebody who hasn't taken the patent bar yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Sounds like the consensus is that it is worth it to take the Patent bar, even if one plans on tying to break into IP lit.

Which brings me to my second question: How long do you typically have to study for the Patent bar?
It's a computer test that asks you questions about PTO rules/procedure, and then you have a few minutes per question to look up the answer in the MPEP. How much you study is up to you, but you're likely to pass if you're familiar enough with the MPEP to know which chapter to go to for any given question (i.e., if it's about patentability, go to X, if it's about appeals, go to Y, if it's about administrative requirements for filing, go to Z). I studied for two days and passed, but I had prior familiarity with the PTO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GULCPerson

Bronze

Post by GULCPerson » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

PLI, which is probably the most thorough review course but stupid expensive, recommends "200 hours... one month of full-time study, or two months of part-time study." I think that's probably overkill, but it gives you a reference point for someone with no prior knowledge of arcane PTO rules.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:37 am

Any recommendations for a decent prep course?

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Post by patentlitigatrix » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:59 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
You can, but if you want the work, it's better to be registered. Especially as a junior, there's really no reason not to get your reg number. It takes like a week of effort, and it meaningfully improves your career outlook.
Yeah, having a reg number is useful for PTAB stuff. You are much more likely to be made backup counsel as a junior/mid-level. I have seen a few fairly senior attorneys (senior counsels, very senior associates) take the patent bar recently as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”