New associate fuck up thread (and tips for slacking)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: New associate fuck up thread (and tips for slacking)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:42 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any other fellow f-ups want to share whether they got a bonus?

I got a small one and I'm happy about it. $1500 Tho I'm not sure what to compare it against?? I am more worried about how I'm doing and whether this is a good/bad reflection on my work.

Biglaw? $1500 sounds like a pretty loud and clear FU

I think that's the prorated stub bonus? Not sure because my firm didn't do one for stubs.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:07 pm

I love that a $1500 bonus can be considered a passive aggressive FU

LOL law

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any other fellow f-ups want to share whether they got a bonus?

I got a small one and I'm happy about it. $1500 Tho I'm not sure what to compare it against?? I am more worried about how I'm doing and whether this is a good/bad reflection on my work.

I think that's the prorated stub bonus? Not sure because my firm didn't do one for stubs.

That would mean a little more than a month of work. I get $5k as the prorated bonus. .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:40 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:

That would mean a little more than a month of work. I get $5k as the prorated bonus...

OP here.

I'm not in big law. Just a mid law stub. So it sounds like big law stub got 5k? Just wondering, thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Big law associate less than 6 months in.

Was in a rush, and in a response to counsel for the other transaction party, accidentally copied part of a partner's email to our client (replied to the wrong email chain). Nothing major content-wise, but still something we'd prefer they didn't see.

Really really stupid and avoidable mistake. I think this will be held against me for a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i work for a big law screamer who makes all the assistants/clerks cry at least once. Can't even count how many staff and associates this partner cycled through. Obviously this partner's associates, including me, get screamed at, condescended to, and insulted on a regular basis.

Is there such thing as a "kind/nice partner"?

Yes; have you tried reaching out to other partners? When I lateraled, another associate gave me the "work for/ avoid" list, and I was able to land a great team and work for a partner who doesn't like working weekends.

Lincoln

Silver

Postby Lincoln » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Big law associate less than 6 months in.

Was in a rush, and in a response to counsel for the other transaction party, accidentally copied part of a partner's email to our client (replied to the wrong email chain). Nothing major content-wise, but still something we'd prefer they didn't see.

Really really stupid and avoidable mistake. I think this will be held against me for a while.

You'd be surprised how quickly people forget things like this if no actual harm was done. Eventually it just becomes a funny story you tell over team drinks. Don't sweat it.

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:43 pm

anyone else find this thread paranoia inducing?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=276311

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:08 pm

Rahviveh wrote:anyone else find this thread paranoia inducing?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=276311

A little, especially with low hours. But whaddya gonna do?

ur_hero

Bronze

Postby ur_hero » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Hoping to hear some more good stuff here this year :)

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Checking in

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Lincoln wrote:

You'd be surprised how quickly people forget things like this if no actual harm was done. Eventually it just becomes a funny story you tell over team drinks. Don't sweat it.

Agreed

PennBull

Diamond

Postby PennBull » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:19 am

rpupkin wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Agreed

They won't even remember it over team drinks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm

PennBull wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Agreed

They won't even remember it over team drinks

I'm the first-year. Can confirm it's been long-forgotten :)

mehiguess

Bronze

Postby mehiguess » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

I've been an attorney for all of a month and a half and had a pretty solid fuck up at work. I had to call into a webinar conference for our BIGGEST client on how to handle their discovery responses and other important things. I didn't realize by not placing the phone on mute EVERYONE could hear what I saying within the confines of my office. Anyway, another associate whom I'm friends with stopped by my office and during our banter we engaged in racial humor about how my fiance can't find a hairdresser that can do black girl's hair. We talked about more inappropriate stuff briefly, I distinctly remember saying the phrase, "my pullout game gonna be weak honeymoon night so I can get that baby quick." In the middle of our laughter, someone from another branch calls into my phone and explains to me in a not-so-kind way that EVERYONE can hear what I'm saying and to either pay attention or place my phone on mute. My friend, the other associate, was pissed and mortified. She turned blood red and stormed off and I sat there in shock. Oddly enough, the day went on and I forgot about that little ordeal . . . until the MP and firm manger came into my office. I'll never forget when MP asked me, "Were you in here with another person making racially insensitive jokes and talking about your honeymoon?" I was speechless and my negro skin turned chalky white. Through my stammering I rambled about how I used to be a teacher and didn't understand the corporate culture and how phones work and whatever. Mercifully, they found humor in the situation but did explain that phones should always be on mute during webinars and that I should be always paying attention. While I still have a job and everything, I always strive to put my best foot forward at work and that whole thing just set me wayyyy back.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Postby Roy McAvoy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:47 pm

mehiguess wrote:I've been an attorney for all of a month and a half and had a pretty solid fuck up at work. I had to call into a webinar conference for our BIGGEST client on how to handle their discovery responses and other important things. I didn't realize by not placing the phone on mute EVERYONE could hear what I saying within the confines of my office. Anyway, another associate whom I'm friends with stopped by my office and during our banter we engaged in racial humor about how my fiance can't find a hairdresser that can do black girl's hair. We talked about more inappropriate stuff briefly, I distinctly remember saying the phrase, "my pullout game gonna be weak honeymoon night so I can get that baby quick." In the middle of our laughter, someone from another branch calls into my phone and explains to me in a not-so-kind way that EVERYONE can hear what I'm saying and to either pay attention or place my phone on mute. My friend, the other associate, was pissed and mortified. She turned blood red and stormed off and I sat there in shock. Oddly enough, the day went on and I forgot about that little ordeal . . . until the MP and firm manger came into my office. I'll never forget when MP asked me, "Were you in here with another person making racially insensitive jokes and talking about your honeymoon?" I was speechless and my negro skin turned chalky white. Through my stammering I rambled about how I used to be a teacher and didn't understand the corporate culture and how phones work and whatever. Mercifully, they found humor in the situation but did explain that phones should always be on mute during webinars and that I should be always paying attention. While I still have a job and everything, I always strive to put my best foot forward at work and that whole thing just set me wayyyy back.

This is amazing

I'm glad they found some humor in it though - that could've turned out really badly.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Postby Mr. Peanutbutter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:54 pm

THAT IS MY WORST NIGHTMARE YOU ALWAYS NEEDS TO MUTE YOUR PHONE OMG

The other day someone dialed into court and you could hear her talking on her cell phone about how she was about to dial in to court call and wouldn’t be making drinks later that evening bcuz the judge always lets these people go on and on

The judge wasn’t in the room yet, but another attorney broke in and was like “DONT WORRY WE’LL BE EXTRA VERBOSE”

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:21 pm

To people just starting, you should always have your phone on mute unless you're talking (or if it's like a 2 person call). Even if you aren't talking to someone else, putting it on mute cuts down on the background noise.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Postby Mr. Peanutbutter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:32 pm

Especially if you’re dialing in on your cell

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Instead of the mute button lighting up when it's on, phones should have a giant bar at the top that lights up bright red when it's not muted and reads "EVERYONE ON THE CALL CAN HEAR EVERYTHING YOU'RE SAYING RIGHT NOW."
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 pm

HOLY SHIT

That is quite the fuck up
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:07 pm

That's a great story. Although it's embarrassing, the fact that you were making racially insensitive jokes about your own race takes the edge off. If a white attorney made racially insensitive jokes about African Americans in the same context, there's a decent chance they would be fired.

mehiguess

Bronze

Postby mehiguess » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:That's a great story. Although it's embarrassing, the fact that you were making racially insensitive jokes about your own race takes the edge off. If a white attorney made racially insensitive jokes about African Americans in the same context, there's a decent chance they would be fired.

Yea, you're right. Hence why I said "racial" as opposed to "racist" jokes. Also, needless to say, everything has blown over at this point and all is well. **knock on wood**

cfcm

Silver

Postby cfcm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Pro tip along these lines: if you have your phone on mute and are on your headset, but then another associate walks in and you put the phone on speaker, the mute feature doesn't automatically carry over... Learned that one the hard way

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:06 pm

i'm too paranoid to do really dumb shit while on mute. you guys are nuts.
Last edited by El Pollito on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment?