When to give notice? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to give notice?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm currently doing corporate work at a V10. I've received an offer to do investment banking at a leading m&a boutique starting early 2016, which I fully intend to accept.

When should I tell my current firm? Any chance I don't receive a bonus in December if I tell them now that I intend to leave in January? All else equal, I'd prefer to tell my firm ASAP. Thanks.

mvp99

Silver

Re: When to give notice?

Post by mvp99 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Is this a business or law side position? curious

Internetdan

New

Post by Internetdan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:06 pm

After you have your bonus

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Internetdan wrote:After you have your bonus

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:37 pm

It's an investment banking position.

Is there a realistic chance that I wouldn't receive a bonus then? Even if the firm generally gives them to everyone? My situation is a little more complex than I care to let on, so I'd appreciate a well-informed perspective. Obviously the safest approach is to wait till bonuses go out, but I'd like to know what typically happens if one tells the firm beforehand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's an investment banking position.

Is there a realistic chance that I wouldn't receive a bonus then? Even if the firm generally gives them to everyone? My situation is a little more complex than I care to let on, so I'd appreciate a well-informed perspective. Obviously the safest approach is to wait till bonuses go out, but I'd like to know what typically happens if one tells the firm beforehand.
Why would you risk losing the bonus? If you're leaving law for investment banking I don't see what you lose even if you burn this bridge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:12 pm

Two-three weeks notice is the norm for law firms. I gave three weeks notice to a V-5 firm and never heard a complaint about timing. I also knew I was leaving two months in advance and just enjoyed not caring what people thought of me any more. Not sure what special considerations you have, but I would at least suggest waiting until you get your bonus. Most firms only give bonuses to associates in good standing as of a certain date.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”