Volunteer as Unpaid "Law Clerk" with Solos to avoid pre-admission Gap? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Volunteer as Unpaid "Law Clerk" with Solos to avoid pre-admission Gap?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:31 am

So I graduated in june, still hustling for a full time position, somewhere. In NY, waiting for bar results. I took a short term (1 month) doc review gig and want to cry because of how boring and horrible it is. I'm leaning towards not putting it on my resume. At this point, 4 months after graduation, I don't think the "gap" is that bad, right now. In a few months, maybe.

I had the idea, variations of which I've seen around the forum, to reach out to a solo or two that I'm friendly with and just ask if I could help out, research an issue, write something short, go to court a few times with them, and let me put it on my resume as "law clerk" or something that doesn't scream doc review monkey. Is this a good idea? Obviously I have to juggle my need for income vs my need to get some real legal experience while I send out applications for real jobs. What do you think?

Mick Haller

Silver

Re: Volunteer as Unpaid "Law Clerk" with Solos to avoid pre-admission Gap?

Post by Mick Haller » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:33 am

you will probably find some chucklehead that doesn't realize this is illegal, but you can't technically work as an unpaid intern unless you are receiving college credit. I'd consider some legit volunteer work like a legal aid society or something.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:38 am

First, you don't have to put anything on your resume that you don't want. I know many people who didn't get jobs until after they got CA bar results in November. Some didn't even until Janruary-February of next year. The gap is normal.

Second, I'm fairly certain that it would be illegal for a firm to bring you in as an unpaid intern specially if you will be doing substantive work (someone feel free to correct me). But you could reach out to firms and someone might want to hire you as a contractor.

This aside, if you want the experience, I know a guy who volunteered his services for a judge (this you can do for free). The guy had a job but wasn't going to start until Feb. So he reached out to the judge so he could do something from Nov to Feb. He got tons of legit experience with the judge AND the judge even liked him so much that he offered him a clerkship. So maybe something to consider.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:41 am

What exactly are the legal restrictions involved? Thanks for pointing this out though. I mean, to me, watching a deposition with a solo I know for free beats sitting at home waiting for calls/emails.

I'm really lost on what kind of volunteering I can do though, as a pre-admitted JD.

edit: oh well, I guess im outed :lol:

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:47 am

internship is the exception to minimum wage laws

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:49 am

i've known paralegals that paralegaled between undergrad and law school and were paid for it. why do you have to work for a solo? try a bigger firm or a boutique. you may make connections that could lead to a post-JD job.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:50 am

Bro, you went to law school. Research it :)

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:57 am

Thats true, but as for working for law firms, thats the whole rub, do I send out an email and say I want to be an intern even though I graduated already? Why wouldn't they just hire a 2 or 3L? I thought with firms/boutiques, its associate or bust.
Last edited by victortsoi on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:59 am

Because of the same reasons you give when an employer asks you why you and not the other 3,000 applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:01 pm

You don't just email... Treat this like a job, because it is. Have a cover letter and your resume. Don't call it an internship, but rather a clerkship. And mention that you're hoping to get experience.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:16 pm

zot1 wrote:You don't just email... Treat this like a job, because it is. Have a cover letter and your resume. Don't call it an internship, but rather a clerkship. And mention that you're hoping to get experience.
So i guess just ignore the fact that a lot of firms will be pissed to get the mail/email, in the hope that one or two bite? I think I'll try this...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:27 pm

No. I can suggest you jump of a bridge, that doesn't mean you have to do it. If you don't like my suggestion, wait for someone else's or do your own thing. You could also get a magic eight ball, I suppose.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:48 pm

zot1 wrote:No. I can suggest you jump of a bridge, that doesn't mean you have to do it. If you don't like my suggestion, wait for someone else's or do your own thing. You could also get a magic eight ball, I suppose.

Dude I was really not trying to be sarcastic, I was serious.... I like your suggestion and I'll try to do it, just need to figure out the right pitch/who exactly to pitch it to.

I guess language in the cover letter kind of like "...an associate pending admission or a law clerk, to contribute to the work that your firm does..."

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Yeah just say you're pending admission and would like to gain experience in the mean time.

Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”