Portland, ME salaries? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
carbonara

New

Portland, ME salaries?

Post by carbonara » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:46 pm

From what I can tell, starting market salary at "biglaw" in Portland is around 75k. By biglaw, I'm thinking Pierce Atwood, Verrill Dana, etc. Beyond starting numbers, though, I haven't found much in terms of what salaries look like beyond the first year, bonus structure, clerkship bonuses if they exist, hours requirements, etc. Anyone have solid intel on this?

Anonymous User

Re: Portland, ME salaries?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
You're not going to get an answer that you seem to expect. These firms are not biglaw like the big NY or Boston firms. Starting salary for a lot of these places is around $75k; other firms will be higher or lower. Raises will depend on the firm. Bonuses will depend on the firm. Hours will depend on the firm.

For reference: I am going to a Northern New England firm. Starting salary is $76k. Bonus typically ranges between $2k and $12k. Hours "requirement" is 1500, but not a hard requirement. SA class was 3, but not 100% offer. Fit is way more important at these mid-sized firms than it is for big law. Expectation is partnership in 7 years--not up and out.

If you want these answers, or you're interested in working at one of these firms, reach out to young associates at the firms. You're going to need to do that anyway to get a job. Hiring at these firms is not like big law where they're only looking at the numbers on the resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
You're not going to get an answer that you seem to expect. These firms are not biglaw like the big NY or Boston firms. Starting salary for a lot of these places is around $75k; other firms will be higher or lower. Raises will depend on the firm. Bonuses will depend on the firm. Hours will depend on the firm.

For reference: I am going to a Northern New England firm. Starting salary is $76k. Bonus typically ranges between $2k and $12k. Hours "requirement" is 1500, but not a hard requirement. SA class was 3, but not 100% offer. Fit is way more important at these mid-sized firms than it is for big law. Expectation is partnership in 7 years--not up and out.

If you want these answers, or you're interested in working at one of these firms, reach out to young associates at the firms. You're going to need to do that anyway to get a job. Hiring at these firms is not like big law where they're only looking at the numbers on the resume.
This is actually really helpful. Any knowledge of firm salaries as you get into the 3-4 year range?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm a first year at a small firm outside if town. $75k with a healthy bonus based on realized fees. There are a few larger firms that will start around 95 and up to 120 by 3-4; but these positions are very competitive and few.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a first year at a small firm outside if town. $75k with a healthy bonus based on realized fees. There are a few larger firms that will start around 95 and up to 120 by 3-4; but these positions are very competitive and few.
Do you know which firms start at 95?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a first year at a small firm outside if town. $75k with a healthy bonus based on realized fees. There are a few larger firms that will start around 95 and up to 120 by 3-4; but these positions are very competitive and few.
I'm not the quoted anon.

I know last year Bernstein started at 82k. They said so on their recruiting brochure. I hear that Drummond Woodsum is about the same (a friend summered there). I would assume that Verril Dana and Preti Flaherty are similar, I would be surprised if they are starting people 13k above Bernstein. I get the sense that people in the area regard those firms as being fairly comparable in terms of prestige, size, and clientele. Maybe Pierce Atwood starts in the 90s, as it is the only firm that is significantly bigger than the others (140 or so attorneys versus about 100 for the others) and has some big clients. But that is just pure speculation on my part.

I'd love to get some info, even if just anecdotal, about what people make a few years in at these firms or what partners are pulling in (i'm assuming it varies widely, but it would be fun to hear some anecdotes)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not the quoted anon.

I know last year Bernstein started at 82k. They said so on their recruiting brochure. I hear that Drummond Woodsum is about the same (a friend summered there). I would assume that Verril Dana and Preti Flaherty are similar, I would be surprised if they are starting people 13k above Bernstein. I get the sense that people in the area regard those firms as being fairly comparable in terms of prestige, size, and clientele. Maybe Pierce Atwood starts in the 90s, as it is the only firm that is significantly bigger than the others (140 or so attorneys versus about 100 for the others) and has some big clients. But that is just pure speculation on my part.

I'd love to get some info, even if just anecdotal, about what people make a few years in at these firms or what partners are pulling in (i'm assuming it varies widely, but it would be fun to hear some anecdotes)
I did some digging around a while ago and found some webpages that said Bernstein's and Pierce Atwood's PPP was around 550k, and I've had that figure backed up by a few friends currently in LS in the region. I'm not sure how exactly the PPP is divided among the partners, but I'd imagine a new partner could pull in ~250k. It's generally an 8 year partner track for Portland firms so that's a healthy salary in your mid thirties with plenty of room to grow. Plus, that money goes far in Maine, especially if you live 20 mins outside of Portland.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 am

This is all super helpful. Do you know if making partner is much more possible at these types of firms? I have never really thought about partnership before since I work in NYC big law (and honestly that life is miserable), but the partners I met in Maine all seemed pretty happy. Is partnership one of those things that is actually attainable at these types of firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is all super helpful. Do you know if making partner is much more possible at these types of firms? I have never really thought about partnership before since I work in NYC big law (and honestly that life is miserable), but the partners I met in Maine all seemed pretty happy. Is partnership one of those things that is actually attainable at these types of firms?
I think in most local firms it is expected that you will make partner if you stick it out. Many of these firms have 2 or 3 partners for every associate. Seems like associates are typically making partner 7-8 years in. I would agree that most of the lawyers that I talk to seem to generally enjoy their job and their life. Northern new england states have small bars and its hard to get away with being a jerk. This is in stark contrast to some of the lawyers (some of them very very successful) I talk to from Boston/NYC that seem to be completely miserable and/or are complete dicks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is all super helpful. Do you know if making partner is much more possible at these types of firms? I have never really thought about partnership before since I work in NYC big law (and honestly that life is miserable), but the partners I met in Maine all seemed pretty happy. Is partnership one of those things that is actually attainable at these types of firms?
I think in most local firms it is expected that you will make partner if you stick it out. Many of these firms have 2 or 3 partners for every associate. Seems like associates are typically making partner 7-8 years in. I would agree that most of the lawyers that I talk to seem to generally enjoy their job and their life. Northern new england states have small bars and its hard to get away with being a jerk. This is in stark contrast to some of the lawyers (some of them very very successful) I talk to from Boston/NYC that seem to be completely miserable and/or are complete dicks.
The bolded is why I am looking to move. Literally had the asshole attorney at my firm last week mention that "being nice" is not a pre-req for success and it made me want to vomit considering what an asshole he is. I think I could enjoy being an attorney, I just can't take the miserable quality of life and the intense people I work with. I'm an NYC 3rd year and i'm definitely in the miserable camp, to the point where i've job hopped a few times to try and find the right fit, but I just don't think there is one in New York, every where is intense, every where work comes before life and for all that hard work, you get a shitty one-bedroom apartment. The job has given me anxiety that I never had and think moving up to NH/Maine with my fiance could be the change we need to really start enjoying life more and for me to enjoy practicing.

In your experience and from hearing about others, what are typical hours like at these firms? The sense I get is that 8:30 - 5:30 is pretty typical, with remote work completely ok as well if you need to get stuff done at home after hours. One firm I talked to in Portland pretty much told me they don't respond to weekend emails unless its urgent (closing coming up or big-time client), which is amazing, but I'm sure it doesn't play the same way at a Pierce Atwood, Verrill Dana or Bernstein Shur type of place. Thanks for all the responses on this thread, its been helpful considering I am still in interview process at a few firms and can't ask these types of questions to associates yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The bolded is why I am looking to move. Literally had the asshole attorney at my firm last week mention that "being nice" is not a pre-req for success and it made me want to vomit considering what an asshole he is. I think I could enjoy being an attorney, I just can't take the miserable quality of life and the intense people I work with. I'm an NYC 3rd year and i'm definitely in the miserable camp, to the point where i've job hopped a few times to try and find the right fit, but I just don't think there is one in New York, every where is intense, every where work comes before life and for all that hard work, you get a shitty one-bedroom apartment. The job has given me anxiety that I never had and think moving up to NH/Maine with my fiance could be the change we need to really start enjoying life more and for me to enjoy practicing.

In your experience and from hearing about others, what are typical hours like at these firms? The sense I get is that 8:30 - 5:30 is pretty typical, with remote work completely ok as well if you need to get stuff done at home after hours. One firm I talked to in Portland pretty much told me they don't respond to weekend emails unless its urgent (closing coming up or big-time client), which is amazing, but I'm sure it doesn't play the same way at a Pierce Atwood, Verrill Dana or Bernstein Shur type of place. Thanks for all the responses on this thread, its been helpful considering I am still in interview process at a few firms and can't ask these types of questions to associates yet.
I'm a law student who is originally from Maine/NH. From what I have gathered so far, most firms seem to expect 1500-1800 hours. I've gone to meetings/ networking events at a handful of firms and most of the offices were empty by 5:30-6. In terms of face time/availability on weekends, I'm not sure. It will probably vary depending on firm and practice group.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was googling and came across this. It is specifically for New Hampshire, but I suspect the numbers in Maine are comparable. https://www.nhbar.org/publications/Econ ... lained.asp
https://www.nhbar.org/uploads/pdf/Econo ... -Part1.pdf - Income
https://www.nhbar.org/uploads/pdf/Econo ... -Part2.pdf - Billing (check out exhibit 15 for average hours worked by attorneys in private practice)

Looks like average lawyers are billing about 30 hours a week and working 45. People in the bigger firms (the firms starting in the $80-90 range) are probably going to be closer to the 75th percentile; billing 35-40 and working 50-60.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Do people know if these firms (i.e. Pierce Atwood,Verrill Dana, Bernstein Shur, etc.) drug test before bringing people on as laterals or as new hires? I would assume the answer is no, but want to make sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do people know if these firms (i.e. Pierce Atwood,Verrill Dana, Bernstein Shur, etc.) drug test before bringing people on as laterals or as new hires? I would assume the answer is no, but want to make sure.
Happy 4/20 bro

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do people know if these firms (i.e. Pierce Atwood,Verrill Dana, Bernstein Shur, etc.) drug test before bringing people on as laterals or as new hires? I would assume the answer is no, but want to make sure.
I can't speak to any of these firms specifically, or even this market, but I would caution against assuming it is no. I would actually assume yes for insurance/malpractice purposes. I worked for a very regional firm and was drug tested because a major bank client had it in place to insure they weren't exposing themselves to liability by being represented by some coked-up associate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Happy 4/20 bro

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I can't speak to any of these firms specifically, or even this market, but I would caution against assuming it is no. I would actually assume yes for insurance/malpractice purposes. I worked for a very regional firm and was drug tested because a major bank client had it in place to insure they weren't exposing themselves to liability by being represented by some coked-up associate.
wtf out that spot i would not work somewhere that drug tested associates

(/stuck STILL working on 420 and pissed)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 14, 2020 8:24 am

Reviving this thread. Saw a few postings in Maine recently that interest me. And with COVID, living in a smaller city with more separation seems nice.

Has there been any salary increase at these firms or is a starting associate still making $80k? Relatedly, what is a midlevel associate making.

Iowahawk

Bronze

Post by Iowahawk » Thu May 14, 2020 6:40 pm

Those salaries look pretty low if they're still accurate; at least according to Nerdwallet Portland's cost of living isn't far off Chicago's.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu May 14, 2020 9:18 pm

They're definitely low (even if they've gone up a bit in the last 3 years, they're low), but I think the Nerdwallet summary is a little misleading. If you look at the breakdown, housing in Chicago costs 19% more than in Portland, and transportation in Chicago costs 22% more. The biggest thing that costs more in Portland is health care, which I think isn't going to be as pertinent to your average associate as housing/transportation.

Also, Chicago's not that expensive. If you want to compare with NYC, COL in Queens is 28% higher than Portland, Brooklyn is 57% higher, and Manhattan is 117% higher. $82k in Portland is the equivalent of $178k in Manhattan.

So yeah, salaries in Portland are low, but I think really your point is that making market in Chicago is awesome.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri May 15, 2020 10:57 am

Yeah, if you want the best salary/CoL ratio, TCR for a while has been Chicago, Houston or Dallas. It's not exactly an indictment of Portland that they aren't S-tier.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri May 15, 2020 4:09 pm

nixy wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:18 pm
Also, Chicago's not that expensive. If you want to compare with NYC, COL in Queens is 28% higher than Portland, Brooklyn is 57% higher, and Manhattan is 117% higher. $82k in Portland is the equivalent of $178k in Manhattan.
I'd add that for the typical associate, actual COL in Queens/Brooklyn isn't that much lower than Manhattan; it's not like there are oodles of dumb associates who aren't willing to live in LIC or Williamsburg; COL there is comparable to living in Manhattan, though you'd get a bit more space for your money (same for the convenient parts of JC and Hoboken, FWIW). The COL figures for Queens/Brooklyn are deceptively low because they include "bad" and inconvenient parts of Queens/Brooklyn that haven't gentrified at all, like Canarsie and East New York and South Jamaica.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:37 pm

Bump. Wanted to see if there’s been any movement by Portland firms on salary recently.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”