Cravath vs. Gibson Dunn DC for Lit? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Cravath vs. Gibson Dunn DC for Lit?

Cravath
17%
Gibson Dunn
83%

Total votes: 24

Anonymous User

Cravath vs. Gibson Dunn DC for Lit?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi everyone,

It's down to these two. Interested in litigation and eventually trying to become an AUSA. Also, I don't yet have a clerkship—would either be more helpful in that regard? Any thoughts you might have between these two options would be great.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Cravath vs. Gibson Dunn DC for Lit?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:27 pm

There was a Cov DC vs CSM thread a few days ago. Most if not all of the responses from that thread apply here.

When comparing NY V5 to a top DC firm, there are a few recurring factors. Where do you want to live? Are you interested in appellate work? (Which goes heavily DC). Are you interested in securities? (Leavs heavily NY - although an aversion to securities lit would be very much in DC's favor). White collar is split, but CSM isn't traditionally the best firm in new york for white collar - did you get offers from its peers with more of a white collar/AUSA reputation? (davis polk, STB, ect). Then of course there's free market v rotation divide, which is huge. GDC and CSM represent opposite poles in this regard; what are your thoughts on how you want to be assigned work and what kind of lit you want to have available?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Okay, thank you. I will refer to the other thread.

I think the Gibson system would probably work better for my personality, so I am leaning toward Gibson. I just wondered if Cravath exit options justified taking it over Gibson.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, thank you. I will refer to the other thread.

I think the Gibson system would probably work better for my personality, so I am leaning toward Gibson. I just wondered if Cravath exit options justified taking it over Gibson.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by exit options. I can see the argument in the vein of superior exits to the financial world with regard to, say, public M&A, where cravath has a more elite group than Gibson. In lit, this doesn't hold; moreover, both GDC and CSM are band 1 elite. The 'exits' and reputation for litigators are identical between this set of firms (csm, gdc, davis polk, paul weiss). Personally, I would even argue Gibson or Wilmer DC have some advantages over an NY V5 for public service career paths.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, thank you. I will refer to the other thread.

The exit options probably aren't materially dissimilar. Gibson is incredibly well regarded in DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Put concretely: what door do you think Cravath would open that GDC wouldn't?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:54 pm

Do you want to live in NYC or DC? It seems like that's the most relevant consideration here.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:54 pm

there is no exit from lit

"Litigation is a gateway drug to shitlaw"

- DF

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:56 pm

rpupkin wrote:Do you want to live in NYC or DC? It seems like that's the most relevant consideration here.
This, followed by whether you like or dislike the rotation system in comparison to the free market system.

I think your answers to these two distinctions (city/rotation) should probably far outweigh any other considerations you may have re: "exit options," even to the AUSA
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:57 pm

runinthefront wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Do you want to live in NYC or DC? It seems like that's the most relevant consideration here.
This, followed by whether you like or dislike the rotation system in comparison to the free market system.

I think your answers two distinctions (city/rotation) should probably far outweigh any other considerations you may have re: "exit options," even to the AUSA
Agreed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”