Military reserves while in BigLaw / Law School

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Military reserves while in BigLaw / Law School

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:55 pm

Is it possible? I figure firms in DC (where I've just accepted an offer) probably have enough PR pressure on them so they wouldn't deny this request, but could I reasonably do it while staying sane? I'm thinking that maybe getting some time in the Navy / Airforce reserves would open up some exit options out of biglaw. Has anyone heard of someone doing this? Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Military reserves while in BigLaw / Law School

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:29 pm

I literally had this conversation with the managing partner of my DC firm this year. I'd been looking at various reserve and direct appointment programs and was nearly sold. The partner said doing the reserves would be very very hard and encouraged me to just go to the military for a few years if that's what I wanted to do and they'd keep a spot open for me when I came back in 4-5 years.

His argument was essentially that the reserves are designed for people with more control over their time, or jobs that aren't as intensive. If you're a mechanic, you ca leave whenever you want. If you're a doctor, you typically schedule all your own stuff and can plan to be gone 1 weekend every month and 2 weeks a year (not including the not 0% chance you get called for a tour of some length). While the firms must make accommodations and he didn't think anyone at the firm would intentionally hong it against someone, the practical implication of being in the reserves and in Biglaw would be that you may be overlooked for assignments or suffer some other non-malicious, but still career impacting, actions.

zot1

Gold

Re: Military reserves while in BigLaw / Law School

Postby zot1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:18 pm

If you do reserves, you can't be legally fired for it. However, your firm will likely find other ways to mess with your career because the truth is that it WILL get in your way. Even if you plan ahead so you can do your reserve stuff, an emergency can arise at the firm and it will look bad for you when you're not there to help. Similarly, it is ALWAYS a possibility that the reserves will call you for a long assignment, including deployment (although I think this is rare).

Return to “Legal Employment�