STB v. Davis Polk v. Cleary v. Paul Weiss

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm for corporate work?

STB
39%
Davis Polk
30%
Cleary
13%
Paul Weiss
17%

Total votes: 23

Anonymous User

STB v. Davis Polk v. Cleary v. Paul Weiss

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Sorry to be another one of those threads but I've hit a wall in narrowing the list. I have tried to talk to 3Ls who just summered and have the general gist of PE = STB, capital markets = DP, international = Cleary. I know I want to do corporate but don't have a more specific preference so it's a difficult choice.

Can anyone speak to the cultures at these firms? Particularly, anyone who left or knows of others who left?
If I'm interested in generally in corporate, is Paul Weiss as well regarded as the others?
Are there general trends in any of these firms I should know about? As far as I know, they're all stable but are there other perceptions out there?

Any insight appreciated!

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: STB v. Davis Polk v. Cleary v. Paul Weiss

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:37 pm

Go to the one you liked the people the best at.

Yardbird

Silver

Postby Yardbird » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:41 pm

Go for second looks at all the firms and weigh the culture for yourself. No one will know what you're comfortable with except you.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:54 pm

Davis Polk or Simpson for corporate. Even split between the two (Cleary is awesome, but unless you're specifically passionate about one of their international practices, idk). Simpson for PE exits, DPW for bank/high finance. I'd go DPW but it's a total tossup.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:12 pm

jbagelboy wrote: Simpson for PE exits, DPW for bank/high finance. I'd go DPW but it's a total tossup.

grossly inaccurate. simpson associate here. I don't think ive ever seen anyone exit to PE. most in-house exits are to banks or some type of private company. that may be bc of self-selection though, after all who wants to work biglaw hours for 75% of the pay?

Return to “Legal Employment�