How to turn down offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to turn down offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:24 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm in the very fortunate position to have to turn down offers from a number of firms. I'm over the NALP cap of 5 offers and have 24 hours to turn some down. Does anyone have any advice on what to say, especially to personal emails? I genuinely liked the these firms and don't want to sound like a dick. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: How to turn down offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:27 pm

Thank you for your time. It was a really hard decision. I accepted an offer elsewhere.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:31 pm

I will only accept if you bump my SA salary to 100k.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Postby anyriotgirl » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:32 pm

please use this opportunity to ask firms if they will be matching THE NEW MARKET before declining their offers

Glasseyes

Silver

Postby Glasseyes » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:36 pm

"Unfortunately, with so many impressive firms vying for my limited time it is impossible to choose them all. I am confident that with your pedigree and reputation for being a place that hires people you will find other candidates to swell your ranks, even if I won't be among them. Best of luck as you trawl the detritus.

P.S. Feel free to reach out if and when your firm goes to 190k."

ManoftheHour

Gold

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:44 pm

Can I have one?

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:44 pm

I thank you for the offer of employment with your firm.

I have reviewed your firm and I regret to inform you that despite your impressive credentials and outstanding success, I can no longer consider you as a candidate for the firm I summer with this year. I appreciate your interest in me and wish you the best in your search for an elite summer associate class.

But being serious, just thank them for the offer and let them know that you decided to accept an offer with another firm. They'll understand. Just be respectful.

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:50 pm

is this seriously a thread?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Postby anyriotgirl » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 pm

El Pollito wrote:is this seriously a thread?

there have been like three of these lol

Helioze

Bronze

Postby Helioze » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:03 am

Jokes aside, why wouldn't you play salary negotiation hardball if you're going to say no regardless?

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:10 am

$3,800/week or gtfo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:59 am

I don't think salary negotiation would ever work, because summer/first year associates are more or less fungible. I've been told, repeatedly, that there are many qualified candidates; if you don't accept the offer I doubt any biglaw firm will have trouble finding someone else that will. I'd rather respectfully decline than burn any bridges.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think salary negotiation would ever work, because summer/first year associates are more or less fungible. I've been told, repeatedly, that there are many qualified candidates; if you don't accept the offer I doubt any biglaw firm will have trouble finding someone else that will. I'd rather respectfully decline than burn any bridges.

I think the point by previous poster is that since he's not planning to take the offer anyway, why not see what would happen.

It's everyone's secret fantasy... To say things they really want to say but feel like they can't.

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:04 am

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't think salary negotiation would ever work, because summer/first year associates are more or less fungible. I've been told, repeatedly, that there are many qualified candidates; if you don't accept the offer I doubt any biglaw firm will have trouble finding someone else that will. I'd rather respectfully decline than burn any bridges.

I think the point by previous poster is that since he's not planning to take the offer anyway, why not see what would happen.

It's everyone's secret fantasy... To say things they really want to say but feel like they can't.

Because people talk.

Cerberaus

New

Postby Cerberaus » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:24 am

You could be a smart ass and send them a rejection like they send us.

I was very fortunate to have interviewed with your firm. Your accomplishments and endeavors are unique and impressive.

This year I have interviewed with several firms. I have received many competitive offers and unfortunately, I am unable to accept your offer. I wish you the best in your recruitment, and I trust that you will have no problems finding the perfect summer associate.

Sincerely,
Name

If you want to be amicable, just follow this pattern:

Tell them you accepted another offer.
Tell them why their firm is so awesome.
Tell them some personal reason you accepted the other offer (maybe it was close to family, maybe it had the exact practice area you wanted, maybe they fit your immediate or longterm goals, etc.) Just pick a reason that exemplifies the firm you chose and does not put the rejected firm down.
Thank them and wish them luck in the future.

In my experience, the sooner you do this, the better it goes. I sent rejections in the above format (not the smart ass one) ASAP and response has been very positive.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:45 am

El Pollito wrote:
zot1 wrote:

Because people talk.

I don't think anyone would take our requests seriously. This is also all talk.

baal hadad

Gold

Postby baal hadad » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:52 pm

Do u really not know how 2 send a polite email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:02 pm

I thought phone call was more appropriate?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:19 pm

"CLIFFORD CHANCE? You thought I was going to--oh man, that's rich."

Then attach a link to the "losing" music from The Price Is Right.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Cerberaus wrote:You could be a smart ass and send them a rejection like they send us.

I was very fortunate to have interviewed with your firm. Your accomplishments and endeavors are unique and impressive.

This year I have interviewed with several firms. I have received many competitive offers and unfortunately, I am unable to accept your offer. I wish you the best in your recruitment, and I trust that you will have no problems finding the perfect summer associate.

Sincerely,
Name

Tell them some personal reason you accepted the other offer (maybe it was close to family, maybe it had the exact practice area you wanted, maybe they fit your immediate or longterm goals, etc.) Just pick a reason that exemplifies the firm you chose and does not put the rejected firm down.

In my experience, the sooner you do this, the better it goes. I sent rejections in the above format (not the smart ass one) ASAP and response has been very positive.

Original anon here: the reason i am struggling is because I have not accepted another offer. I need to tell them that they aren't in my top 5.

And to be clear, I am trying to be extremely respectful because there is a chance I'll switch markets in a few years and need to have non-burnt bridges. It's just unbelievably awkward, especially when I feel a connection with particular interviewers who have been constantly emailing and calling me.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cerberaus wrote:You could be a smart ass and send them a rejection like they send us.

Sincerely,
Name

Original anon here: the reason i am struggling is because I have not accepted another offer. I need to tell them that they aren't in my top 5.

And to be clear, I am trying to be extremely respectful because there is a chance I'll switch markets in a few years and need to have non-burnt bridges. It's just unbelievably awkward, especially when I feel a connection with particular interviewers who have been constantly emailing and calling me.

Except you don't have to tell them that at all. You can simply say that you decided to go with another firm, which is technically true.

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Dear [generic HR person/contact],

I will not be accepting your offer of employment; I have decided to take another offer. [Firm] would be an excellent place for any attorney to begin their career, and I thank you for considering me.

Sincerely,
[OP]

Then to anyone you want to keep in contact with:

Dear [real person who I like]

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me [last week]. I enjoyed meeting you and your [practice group, colleagues, whatever]. I have decided to go with another firm, but it was not an easy decision by any means. [Mention something specific you talked about; maybe something a bit jokey].

Sincerely,
[OP]

Then when you're in the city for your SA, take a few of the people you clicked with out for coffee or something like that. No harm in building your network with people you genuinely like, and you never know when/if you might want to lateral.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 am

Original anon here: thanks for the responses everyone.

Cerberaus

New

Postby Cerberaus » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Sincerely,
Name

1. Do not ever tell a firm that they were not in your top five.
2. If you are really intent on turning them down without another offer, then just say you had another offer. However, I would highly advise against doing this. First, use those offers as leverage for firms that are in your top five. I told the firm I wanted that I had 28 days to decide on the offer, and if we both wanted to move forward, time was of the essence. They responded quickly, and I got my dream job. It was a win, win for everyone.
3. Do not feel connected to them. I felt a "connection" with plenty of firms that rejected me later, and I felt no connection with some firms that gave me an offer. It's a 20 minute screener interview followed by another brief interview at the office. Trust me, they'll get over a rejection from you pretty quickly, and the longer you wait, the worse it makes things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:41 pm

When cutting down my list, I was invariably asked where I was going (for statistical purposes apparently). I had not yet chosen, so I simply told them "I haven't reached a final decision yet, but I am more than happy to follow up with you when I do." This seemed to work fine.

Return to “Legal Employment�