Dallas: Jones Day vs. Baker Botts vs. V&E Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Dallas corporate section would you choose?

Baker Botts
18%
Vinson & Elkins
45%
Jones Day
36%

Total votes: 33

Anonymous User

Re: Dallas: Jones Day vs. Baker Botts vs. V&E

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:29 pm

The only firms in Dallas that I know of that are NYC market (base + bonus) are GDC, Akin Gump and Weil. McKool and certain lit boutiques are even higher. I'm not sure about Sidley. I know V&E and BB aren't true NYC market but come closer than any other Texas-based firm, and seem to also beat JD though JD is a bit of a mystery. Fulbright, HB, TK, LL are all very comparable - generally NYC market for base and then very very small bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:58 pm

That's correct that none of OP's three firms lockstep NY Market.

But, based on ATL and anecdotes, my read for V&E/BB bonuses in 2014 was:
Under 2000: potentially screwed
2000-2300: Grey area with some below NY market and some at NY market
2300-2500+: At least some people at both firms were getting above NY market bonuses

Then JD is the mystery. We know they don't pay straight lockstep. So I assume they have to be paying some people more than they would get elsewhere and some people less. But it seems like it would be generally known if their comp was typically higher overall. Not that people would disclose specific salaries, just that there would be a general impression. That leads me to believe that pay is typically lower for the average person at JD. It may be very slight even if that's true, and obviously I could be completely wrong about this. My guess is maybe you're better off at JD if you're below 2000 than at V&E/BB.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:TL;DR: Pick BB/V&E based on who you like more. Ultimately, these are just my anecdotal impressions, so don't rely on them. And if you really like Jones Day above and beyond everyone else, I'd go with that over the others tbh.
This.
Anonymous User wrote:Oh, and to address the guy slamming Jones Day, I'd agree that they're awkward (like we're going to pretend Baker Botts and V&E aren't), but I haven't had such a strong impression from the Dallas office. The Houston office, I'd wholeheartedly agree with that assessment, but not Dallas. And OP, that goes to show you that peoples' impressions of a place can vary, so you shouldn't entirely rely on someone else's guess about how it is to work there (if they're on the outside looking in).
Let me clarify briefly:

My impression of the Dallas office is significantly less informed than that of the Houston, Chicago, New York, and D.C. offices. I know about 50 JD associates total, but only four from Dallas (seven from Houston). Of these 50, only one has ever been remotely normal. This may be because I know her family, and was introduced prior to starting law school. She also might be their "token normal person". Life's mysteries.

In any event, Jones Day has completely poisoned my opinion of the firm by its attorneys repeated attempts to assault me with unwanted and uncomfortable conversation. After every chat with these walking manifestations of social awkwardness, I have an unnatural and unending desire to take a shower.

In choosing your firm, find the place that fits well with you. The Atlanta airport test if you will (if you are stuck in an airport with only one other person from your firm, would you be able to survive for 8+ hours?). However, I would rather have my fingernails forcibly removed with pliers/wear the red shirt in star trek/watch the Star Wars prequels, than endure the torment of being trapped with people from Jones Day.
Going out on a limb here that maybe it's because you seem awful that other people are awkward around you. Just guessing though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:51 pm

VE pays NY lockstep (cant speak to BB). If you billed at least 2300 hours last year you got NY bonus scale. If billed over 2400 you got more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:VE pays NY lockstep (cant speak to BB). If you billed at least 2300 hours last year you got NY bonus scale. If billed over 2400 you got more.
My fault for not being clear. I was using NY lockstep to refer to total comp, meaning base + bonus. Both BB and V&E are NY lockstep for base salary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”