Antitrust v. Administrative Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Purplebook

New

Antitrust v. Administrative Law

Post by Purplebook » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:13 pm

I can only take one of these. Which is more useful in the long term?

J90

Bronze

Re: Antitrust v. Administrative Law

Post by J90 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Admin. Unless you plan on doing Antitrust as your principal practice at your firm.

Purplebook

New

Post by Purplebook » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:51 am

J90 wrote:Admin. Unless you plan on doing Antitrust as your principal practice at your firm.
I plan on doing transactional work. Is Antitrust not useful for M&A?

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:14 am

Purplebook wrote:
J90 wrote:Admin. Unless you plan on doing Antitrust as your principal practice at your firm.
Antitrust, then, my bad. I'd assumed you were litigation oriented based on the dilemma you had. :( Antitrust won't particularly help your practice, but depending on what firm you'd be going to and which practice group it might be tangentially relevant. If you can, though, why not a bankruptcy course, Secured Transactions if you're doing finance work, or something more directly transactional?

ft8fc

New

Post by ft8fc » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:56 am

The problem with antitrust is the limited option for exit strategy: there are only a few huge companies who would hire antitrust lawyers in-house. The most common way is to work for a big company, i.e., Google or Apple, on antitrust cases for several years, during which one would build relationship with the counterparts in those companies.

For administrative law, I would think that working inside the federal government might give you more leverage in the long run.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:48 am

Purplebook wrote:I can only take one of these. Which is more useful in the long term?
Why does it matter what you take in law school?

Purplebook

New

Post by Purplebook » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:03 pm

J90 wrote:
Purplebook wrote:
Antitrust, then, my bad. I'd assumed you were litigation oriented based on the dilemma you had. :( Antitrust won't particularly help your practice, but depending on what firm you'd be going to and which practice group it might be tangentially relevant. If you can, though, why not a bankruptcy course, Secured Transactions if you're doing finance work, or something more directly transactional?
Thanks. I've taken Secured Transactions and Bankruptcy. I only had the Admin Law dilemma because people who took it kept saying how useful it is.

So I could be fine not taking Antitrust? Its time slot ruins an otherwise sweet schedule.

Purplebook

New

Post by Purplebook » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:03 pm

parkslope wrote:
Purplebook wrote:I can only take one of these. Which is more useful in the long term?
Why does it matter what you take in law school?

For me, it matters what I take in law school because during my SA having a base knowledge of certain principles helped me out big time in a few assignments.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”