Relative Value of OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Relative Value of OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:22 am

If private practice is something you're only curious about, what is the value of OCI?

I am a rising 2L on lr with good grades and WE but I am at a TTT. I interned this summer with a govt agency and would love to continue down this path. But ... I don't want to limit myself or make finding employment any harder than it already is. Am I just going to have to accept that finding govt work will be harder? I don't want to end up in a position where I go through OCI, get an otherwise good SA at a firm this next summer, hate it, and have to turn down a job offer because I realize I should have been targeting govt work. I just feel like the alternative (not participating in OCI) is very risky.

Cobretti

Gold

Re: Relative Value of OCI

Post by Cobretti » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:39 am

How much debt at graduation?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 am

Many great government jobs hire extensively from people who leave large law firms. Basically no government jobs require that you do something with them for your 2L summer. And perhaps most importantly, even with strong credentials you're hardly guaranteed a firm job out of OCI.

I'd say it's absolutely worth interviewing, and probably worth taking the thousands of dollars per week summer gig even if you're not convinced it's what you want to do. You won't materially hurt your odds of getting a different job, if you hurt them at all, and you'll get a lot of money, experience, and insight at the same time.

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:50 am

All things considered, should be around $90k.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:00 am

Definitely do OCI. As SL said, most federal government agencies hire from large law firms and getting a gov't job is harder. Plus 90k isn't nothing in debt. But did you already sign up for OCI? If not, isn't it too late?

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:11 am

I did sign up for OCI, so I am covered. And no, $90k isn't nothing and a summer earning decent $ would help. I really appreciate the advice, all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”